PDA

View Full Version : FC10 Eth0/Wlan0 intermittent problems

linuxlen
6th December 2008, 04:42 PM
Hi folks,

Background: I recently did a fresh install of FC10. I previously ran FC6 with no problems. I am on an older Toshiba Satellite laptop and I can use either Eth0 or Wlan0. I have been running Linux for years, though I would not call myself an expert (I can fix problems and do things seeing other examples).

My problem: Any program that needs to access the internet gets mixed results. For example, using Firefox I can navigate to Google fine, I cannot access Adobe or Yahoo ever. Yum cannot connect to the Adobe repo and it is hit or miss with RPMFusion. This is all consistent. It also happens regardless of interface I am using (Eth0 or Wlan0). It looks like when first contacting a site, things are very slow, but once the site is contacted things go fast with the exception of sites that never respond like Yahoo or Adobe. I can download files at expected speeds.

If I run host www.adobe.com I get this:
host www.adobe.com
www.adobe.com is an alias for www.wip3.adobe.com.
www.wip3.adobe.com has address 192.150.18.101
www.wip3.adobe.com mail is handled by 10 smtp-relay-1.adobe.com.
www.wip3.adobe.com mail is handled by 20 smtp-relay-2.adobe.com.

If I run host www.yahoo.com I get this:
host www.yahoo.com
www.yahoo.com is an alias for www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net.
www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net has address 69.147.76.15

It appears I can really get to these sites and resolve them, no idea why programs cannot (i.e. Firefox or Yum).

What I've done: I have switched over to use OpenDNS. I have followed the suggestions for a DNS bug fix on the FedoraFaq page for FC10. I have yum removed NetworkManager. I have disabled services for IPv6 and also disabled it specifically in FireFox using about:config.

My current setup: I am running the network service, run levels 3 and 5 using OpenDNS . DHCP is enabled.

Any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated, I'd love to figure this problem out and put it to bed.

neighborlee
6th December 2008, 05:56 PM
Hi folks,

Background: I recently did a fresh install of FC10. I previously ran FC6 with no problems. I am on an older Toshiba Satellite laptop and I can use either Eth0 or Wlan0. I have been running Linux for years, though I would not call myself an expert (I can fix problems and do things seeing other examples).

My problem: Any program that needs to access the internet gets mixed results. For example, using Firefox I can navigate to Google fine, I cannot access Adobe or Yahoo ever. Yum cannot connect to the Adobe repo and it is hit or miss with RPMFusion. This is all consistent. It also happens regardless of interface I am using (Eth0 or Wlan0). It looks like when first contacting a site, things are very slow, but once the site is contacted things go fast with the exception of sites that never respond like Yahoo or Adobe. I can download files at expected speeds.

If I run host www.adobe.com I get this:
host www.adobe.com
www.adobe.com is an alias for www.wip3.adobe.com.
www.wip3.adobe.com has address 192.150.18.101
www.wip3.adobe.com mail is handled by 10 smtp-relay-1.adobe.com.
www.wip3.adobe.com mail is handled by 20 smtp-relay-2.adobe.com.

If I run host www.yahoo.com I get this:
host www.yahoo.com
www.yahoo.com is an alias for www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net.
www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net has address 69.147.76.15

It appears I can really get to these sites and resolve them, no idea why programs cannot (i.e. Firefox or Yum).

What I've done: I have switched over to use OpenDNS. I have followed the suggestions for a DNS bug fix on the FedoraFaq page for FC10. I have yum removed NetworkManager. I have disabled services for IPv6 and also disabled it specifically in FireFox using about:config.

My current setup: I am running the network service, run levels 3 and 5 using OpenDNS . DHCP is enabled.

Any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated, I'd love to figure this problem out and put it to bed.

You aren't alone, I too have very slow internet but I can't verify yet ( I went back to windows temporarily for this reason ) after having connected to a site that it speeds up but I ll try that later today when I head back to linux.

cheers
nl

linuxlen
6th December 2008, 09:24 PM
NL, I'm interested to see what you find.

A bit more info from my end:

I can successfully connect (after a delay) to: FedoraForums.org, Google, CNN, YouTube, and other misc. sites

I am unsuccessful connecting to: Adobe, Yahoo, Flickr, Boston.com, CNET, Real.com

I don't see any rhyme or reason to this, but I was thinking someone might be able to see a pattern.

Again, thanks for any help anyone can give!

Gujranwala - Chittagong - Islamabad Travel Photos -