PDA

View Full Version : Securing my machine

PsyGhost
15th August 2004, 07:04 PM
A couple of monthes ago I used redhat linux and my friend asked for an access via SSH. I created normal user for him, and denied a direct root login to ssh. He activated an exploit and changed my root password. My question is what do I need to do in order to protect myself from these local exploits? upgrade the kernel? the openssh package?

Picomp314
15th August 2004, 07:14 PM
sounds like a good friend to me...
there seem to be quite alot of exploits like that, with an ssh session it could be a large number of things, although i would defintely try to update the openssh package

crackers
15th August 2004, 07:36 PM
A couple of monthes ago I used redhat linux and my friend asked for an access via SSH. I created normal user for him, and denied a direct root login to ssh. He activated an exploit and changed my root password. My question is what do I need to do in order to protect myself from these local exploits? upgrade the kernel? the openssh package?
First, I would get myself a new friend after beating this one to a bloody pulp. Notice that there is no smiley here. Your so-called friend is a ... well, I don't think I can post my exact thoughts here: it'd melt my keyboard and your monitor.

Secondly, I'd chroot the person until such time as they prove themselves worthy of being able to play nice.

The only way to prevent local exploits is to not let anyone in.

Picomp314
15th August 2004, 07:43 PM
word crackers
chroot jail

PsyGhost
15th August 2004, 09:01 PM
I think you guys misunderstood.
He didn't destroy my system, he changed the root password just to show me he can, off course he gave me the new one, he's not that evil :)
How can I chroot jain him?
I'm using OpenSSH 3.6.1p2-34

superbnerd
16th August 2004, 01:56 AM
well, if he's your friend, ask him what exploit he used and reporrt it to the folks at openssh.com. also, is your system up2date? there have been several updates for ssh security fixes and the kernel. if he tells you what the exploit is then you will know he is not evil. if he withhold the info, kill his account.

armann
10th July 2008, 12:42 PM
I think you guys misunderstood.
He didn't destroy my system, he changed the root password just to show me he can, off course he gave me the new one, he's not that evil :)
How can I chroot jain him?
I'm using OpenSSH 3.6.1p2-34

Since he got into your system that's not the hardest thing in the world to do.
Like the others have said, great friend ;)

Wayne
10th July 2008, 12:49 PM
Wow! you managed to dig up and post to a very dead four-year-old thread! There's only one thing for it, after closing it!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs

Wayne

Ushiku Photos on Instagram - Puerto Lopez - Beauvais Travel Photos