PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 10 Has Gone Too Far

billwww
30th November 2008, 06:13 PM
I have been installing Linux on computers I build since RH4 days, and I have always tended toward Red Hat and then Fedora. Since the advent of 64 bit processors, I have used Fedora because the 64-bit version has always been less trouble for me. Ubuntu always gave me problems just getting the the installer to recognize my hardware.

Iím an anachronism in a sense. I still use dialup for connecting to the internet. I work for a college and one of the perks is free internet service. I find it hard to justify paying AT&T (the only DSL in our area) $180 or more a year for internet service thatís only about 5 times faster than free. But Iím not alone. The last statistics I saw indicate that about 40% of home computers in the US still use dialup. Anyone who lives more than three miles from a telephone switching station and in an area where cable has not already been laid have little choice. Why would a company with something like 5% of the market want to eliminate 40% of its most likely users? Do they think the people using dialup are less likely to switch to Linux? Theyíve made it almost impossible to make that switch.

Red Hat has gradually been lessening support for dialup in Fedora. The Modem Lights applet lost its default settings several releases ago, and they have never returned. Firefox, which starts dialup automatically in Windows, canít do so in Fedora. SELinux in enforcing mode has never let Fedora connect through a modem: it has to be set in permissive mode or turned entirely off to get on the internet. Then Fedora started installing in enforcing mode without any option to turn it down.

And now, Fedora 10 has made it so that after spending most of a day, I still canít download from a repository. Permissive mode will still allow Firefox to use dialup to get on the internet, but yum has apparently entirely cut it off. Fedora now requires a login as root to access repositories, and wonít ďauthenticateĒ a login from the desktop. I can no longer open a terminal window and access the repositories using su or sudo. Even if I comment out a line in the pamd config file that will allow me to login as root from the GUI, I still canít access the repositories because dialup is not recognized as an internet connection.

And dialup has become even harder to install at all. My modem has not been automatically recognized for years, but I was able to configure a generic fairly quickly. Now two more settings must be configured compared to F9, and a box must be checked after the configuration. It took me an hour just to figure out that an installed modem connection needed to be marked as intended for use.

Sorry for the rant, but Red Hat needs to revamp their thinking.

bob
30th November 2008, 06:45 PM
(Moved to Reviews) Rants are fine, but you really are only talking to users here at FedoraForum.org . As it's been said, many times, the devs don't monitor our Forum, so if you really want to be heard, go here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate

Technopeasant
20th December 2008, 10:42 PM
I agree that dial-up support is still very necessary, I use it myself alongside a flaky satellite connection. So if Fedora is trying to phase that out, I'm against it.

pwca
20th December 2008, 10:49 PM
Hmmmm..... Welcome to the Linux-on-the-Desktop merry-go-round acid-trip (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=208222).

Demz
20th December 2008, 11:26 PM
I agree that dial-up support is still very necessary, I use it myself alongside a flaky satellite connection. So if Fedora is trying to phase that out, I'm against it.

i think you'll find Microsoft are or will phase dial-up support out in coming windows releases , not only fedora/Redhat

Dan
21st December 2008, 12:28 AM
Has it occurred to anyone that if you really need dial-up support ... just skip the upgrade cycle ... and stick with F1~F8?

Or try Puppy Linux 4.0 (or 4.1)!

bob
21st December 2008, 12:34 AM
Soooooo close to being a 'dead thread'. Twenty days and nothing and then TODAY, it's magically resurrected with not a peep from the OP! I think it's been said, folks, let the poor ol' thing die, peacefully.

Dan
21st December 2008, 12:47 AM
I'm game!

Thread closed.

Khamgaon Photos on Instagram - Isabela Photos - Sarande Travel Photos on Instagram