PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using a T400 w/ Fedora 10? Hardware list inside

ormandj
28th November 2008, 10:32 AM
Hi,

I'm considering a purchase of a Lenovo T400, with the following specifications, but want to make sure the hardware is going to work properly.

Intel P8400 processor
14.1 WXGA+ LED BL screen, w/ camera
Intel 4500MHD video card
Trackpad/fingerprint reader
dvd recordable dual layer
7-1 media reader
Integrated Bluetooth
Intel 5100 AGN wireless

I've heard the fingerprint reader doesn't work that well in Linux as of yet (checked thinkwiki before posting here), but it sounds like everything else should work with 2.6.27 and later (which fedora 10 has.) Just wanted to see if Fedora's kernel actually *did* work, since each distro tends to build the kernels differently. Also, is the Intel 5300 wireless card a better choice? I stayed away from it, because I was worried it might not be supported.

Thank you kindly,
David

doctorwhite
29th November 2008, 06:00 PM
I am currently running Fedora 9 on my T400. I am going to install Fedora 10 on it in about 5 minutes. I will report back when I am done. Any other questions let me know....

ormandj
30th November 2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the response! Looking forward to your results. Would you mind also posting the specifications of your T400? I'm looking to purchase in the next day or so, so I really appreciate your help!

Cheers,
David

doctorwhite
1st December 2008, 12:10 AM
Here are my specs:

14.1 WXGA+ with LED (1440X900)
Intel Core 2 Duo T9400
Intel X4500 Video Card
160GB HDD/7200RPM
DVDRECORD 8X ULTRABAY
Express Card/PC Card Slot
Bluetooth
Intel WIFI 5300 ABN
6 Cell Battery
1GB PC3-8500 1067mhz

I had issues getting Fedora 9 installed because the ethernet driver was not available out of the box. I had to build the module into it. After 4 kernel updates the driver was included. Wireless didn't work until 4 kernel update too.

As for Fedora 10 everything is supported out of the box. The Intel Wifi card uses the iwlagn driver so no worries for you. Installing both F9 and F10 you need to append your grub config to include vga=9 to get better mode view. There are a bunch of tweaks, small stuff, that you need to do but worth it to get a clean systems after installation. Right now I am dealing with Vuze problems...blah

So let me know if you need more help. Getting a Lenovo T400 is a wise choice, portabable and energy efficient. Make sure you use those good coupon codes...google them.

ormandj
1st December 2008, 10:54 AM
I used the black friday code, I didn't know any others. Did you get the advanced mini dock per chance? I've heard rumors the DVI output doesn't work on it when you have the X4500, and if that's the case, I'll have to return the laptop. :( That's the only real complaint I have so far - VGA output?? Really????

Thanks again for your help!

doctorwhite
2nd December 2008, 06:06 PM
I hear you on the VGA output. Lenovo should have included at least a DVI port. As for the mini dock question I dont know. You may have better luck over at the lenovo forum here---->http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/

Returning the notebook is expensive to by the way. Let me know what you decide to do.

Good luck.

Turnhout - Neue Neustadt Photos on Instagram - Villa Gesell Photos