PDA

View Full Version : hardisk install FC10 ISO, can not find imae

maplewang
27th November 2008, 01:43 AM
I put the Fedora-10-i386-DVD.iso (not extract) file in the a partition's subdirectory /Data1/FC10, I have put the isolinux files in some else place, but it failed to find the iso file.
what is wrong with me ? is my iso broken or I have to put the iso fo the root of the partition? I have extract vmlinuz and initrd.img from the iso file.

grub script:
title Fedora intall
root (hd0,2)
kernel /isolinux/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/sda3 rhgb quiet
initrd /isolinux/initrd.img

stoat
27th November 2008, 02:11 AM
...but it failed to find the iso file.Hello maplewang,

By that, do you mean to say that the kernel and initial ramdisk are being loaded and executed and Anaconda is starting? But when asked by Anaconda for the location of the ISO file, it doesn't find it where you say it is? I'm asking for the clarification because you posted your grub.conf menu commands as though they had something to do with your problem. They are only involved in launching the kernel and initial ramdisk, not in finding the ISO file. You have to manually indicate where it is located when prompted by Anaconda.

Anyway, if Anaconda is starting okay, then here are some thoughts that I had... The ISO must be in a compatible partition type (FAT32, ext2, ext3 and not NTFS or LVM PV)

Are you remembering to enter the path to the ISO file in the text box for that purpose? It's directly below the list of partitions. Try moving the ISO to the root directory of the partition. Then that issue goes away.

maplewang
27th November 2008, 02:39 AM
thank you for your reply.
I have put my iso under the root directory of the partilion i.e /dev/sda3, it is a natural linux partition.
I then copy the DVD iso to another win box, and extract to a directory, and setup a ftp server,
I now can install via ftp or http.

so I think FC10 does not directly support iso files?

stoat
27th November 2008, 03:13 AM
Sorry, I don't know what you are talking about there. Just FYI only, here is the way I have always done the Hard Drive alternative installation method... Download the ISO file to a compatible partition.
Download (or extract from the ISO file) the files vmlinuz and initrd.img also to a compatible partition (I like to put them with the ISO file).
Launch the kernel and initial ramdisk by any means available (GRUB boot floppy, GRUB boot CD, grub> prompt at the menu of another Linux system, GRUB menu of another Linux system, GRUB4DOS in a Windows system, etc.).

NOTE: You can also boot the computer into Anaconda with the Fedora version's minimal boot CD instead of doing this vmlinuz and initrd.img step.

Anaconda starts and asks for installation method (choose "Hard drive").
Anaconda asks for the location of the installation files (select from the list the partition with ISO file).
The familiar graphical installer starts and a normal installation continues from there.I sometimes do the Hard Drive alternative even when I don't have to because I keep the ISO files, and the installation is faster from the ISO file compared to the DVD or CDs (and way faster than http or ftp via the Internet). I have my Fedora 10 disk, but I have not installed it yet. However, I have no reason yet to believe that Fedora 10 cannot be installed from the ISO like always before. Good luck with this.

pankajp
27th November 2008, 04:21 AM
I think it missed being mentioned in the F10 install guide.
Due to a change in the F10 anaconda, you also need to extract the image "images/install.img" from the iso into the same directory when installing from a harddisk iso image. I read this somewhere in a beta forum and it worked. Note that the installer anaconda says missing image "images/install.img" which gives away the clue.

Hope it works for you.

PS: didn't notice that you already installed from ftp. Maybe it may help someone else.

maplewang
27th November 2008, 06:22 AM
thank you pankajp, you are right. But I find when I install it by using ftp, It can not work properly to support intel i7x0 onboard VGA card, when Setting the hostname it crashed.

stoat
27th November 2008, 05:22 PM
I think it missed being mentioned in the F10 install guide.Hello pankajp,

No, it's there (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-installing-from-harddrive.html). So the game is a little different now. Okay. I extracted the file install.img from the ISO and put it with the usual other three files (the ISO, vmlinuz, initrd.img). I launched the kernel (vmlinuz) and the initial ramdisk (initrd.img) from the grub> prompt of the F9 GRUB menu (booting with the minimal boot CD should work just as well). Anaconda started and when pointed to the location of install.img, it happily soldiered on normally. I didn't have time to actually finish the installation. But based on what I saw, I am confident it would have. I will do it later.

P.S.: The file install.img can also be downloaded from the ~/os/images subdirectory of the download server. The other two, vmlinuz and initrd.img, can be downloaded from the ~/os/isolinux subdirectory (for people that may not be able to or want to extract files from the ISO). Those all download in seconds.

pankajp
28th November 2008, 04:28 PM
Hello pankajp,

No, it's there (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-installing-from-harddrive.html)..
Yeah, thanks. Saw it now, it was sitting there to be read but i just didn't notice.

P.S.: The file install.img can also be downloaded from the ~/os/images subdirectory of the download server. The other two, vmlinuz and initrd.img, can be downloaded from the ~/os/isolinux subdirectory (for people that may not be able to or want to extract files from the ISO). Those all download in seconds.
Thanks for the info. Though would probably not prefer downloading the install.img file. Its about 100 megs and would take quite some time here at my place.

Martinsburg Travel Photos - Garoowe Travel Photos on Instagram - Corvallis Photos