PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 8 to Fedora 9

BLooDMaN
9th November 2008, 11:29 AM
Hi everyone!

I'd like to upgrade my Fedora 8 server to Fedora 9 so it'll be possible later to upgrade to Fedora 10.
There are Dovecot, SAMBA, Apache web server, phpMyAdmin, Squirrelmail and many other processes. The only information I'm worried about is mail. Should I try to upgrade to Fedora 9 (and how to do it?) or I should save somehow all the mail and install CentOS?
P.S.: This server is more for fun and for some practices.

Many thanks in advance!

glennzo
9th November 2008, 12:34 PM
I think that you'll find that the general consensus is that a full install is the preferred method over an upgrade. Fedora or CentOS? That's up to you.

BLooDMaN
9th November 2008, 02:42 PM
I think that you'll find that the general consensus is that a full install is the preferred method over an upgrade. Fedora or CentOS? That's up to you.

Full install... you mean install and configure everything from the beginning and from backups?

glennzo
9th November 2008, 03:48 PM
Yes. Seems that many users have run into problems with upgrading Fedora, be it from 8 to 9, 7 to 8, 6 to 7, etc. Doesn't seem to matter. A full install Is a lot of work but that's the way it is. CentOS with its longer release schedule may be a better choice if you don't want to go through this every 6 months.

BLooDMaN
9th November 2008, 09:27 PM
Yes. Seems that many users have run into problems with upgrading Fedora, be it from 8 to 9, 7 to 8, 6 to 7, etc. Doesn't seem to matter. A full install Is a lot of work but that's the way it is. CentOS with its longer release schedule may be a better choice if you don't want to go through this every 6 months.

Thanks a lot! I'll just leave server as it is now till there will be real need in fresh distro.

Valencia Photos on Instagram - Prague Photos - Stuttgart Photos on Instagram -