PDA

View Full Version : Choice of C++ IDE?

Bana
7th August 2004, 06:15 AM
Which is your programming palace of choice? I like Anjuta myself but have just started using it. For python I use a combination of ViM and BlueFish.

(Okay, okay I included some text based ones but mehh)

micha
7th August 2004, 03:45 PM
Well I use gvim for latex, C++, shell,... programming.

ghaefb
7th August 2004, 04:07 PM
Anjuta?
I just try it out and I must say it's very usefull.
Never heard about this app.

Still prefer emacs though :p

Bana
12th August 2004, 05:39 AM
Looks like it is pretty split at the moment :p 2-2-2-2

Ug
12th August 2004, 09:18 PM
Emacs baby. I'm hardcore. :p

circulus
12th August 2004, 09:25 PM
Hi,

1. - Anjuta: relative small, relative fast.
2. - KDevelop

and of course for hardcore users - Vi,Vim,gVim

circulus

ewdi
12th August 2004, 09:57 PM
Slickedit and Eclispe

Jman
12th August 2004, 11:31 PM
Eclipse is my Java IDE, C++ takes a bit of setup. I like Anjuta, though I haven't really used it. So I pick other.

I don't think vi qualifies as an IDE. :p

zylr
12th August 2004, 11:41 PM
VIM is one sick editor. But for lighter jobs, consider Joe. I voted for VIM because its my favorite for code :)!

s0lus
13th August 2004, 01:05 AM
Started with emacs....and never left....

should prolly try others...but whats the point when it does the job wonderfully and Im used to it....

im sheltered....

klaxnek
13th August 2004, 01:49 AM
Anjuta.

I knowed Anjuta in their first versions (with lots of bugs), but I used gvim for my devel needs. Recently I switched back again to Anjuta to try it and I was greatly impressed. Now it's way more stable that when I used it first.

skoona
27th August 2004, 01:07 AM
Like Jman, I also use eclipse as my C/C++ & Java IDE. They also support Cobol - but I don't do that anymore.

Ranjith
8th September 2004, 07:17 AM
Hi guys,
I am new to linux .I am using Fedora 2.0 . I dont know how to start programming in C and C++ using Fedora. Please help.

Ranjith.

Bana
11th September 2004, 04:16 AM
Ranjith: you will have to give a little more information: for example, do you know haw to program C++/C in any other Operating System?

fjleal
11th September 2004, 12:06 PM
Anjuta for me for C/C++, NetBeans for Java. But I don't think you should compare IDEs with text editors. You can do all code in a text editor, of course, but that's not an IDE.

LordMorgul
13th September 2004, 01:33 AM
An IDE simply integrates writing, compilation, execution, and debugging. Emacs fulfulls those needs, vim is a bit of a stretch but also can be considered an IDE imo. Anjuta is my choice, however I really wish I had a vim editing mode for it, there simply is no better way to input and edit code. Well.. I suppose we should include an emacs mode to keep people happy, so I wish for that as well.
:D

clearer
13th September 2004, 01:36 AM
I mostly use Kdevelop to automate things such as creating makefiles and stuff. Editing of files, I use any ASCII editor that pops into my head at the moment - usually Kate or KWrite.

mnguyen
19th September 2004, 06:32 AM
I have tried some IDEs, including KDevelop and Anjuta. They're polished and very like Visual Studio of M$.

However, I still love Emacs. Primitive but Poweful. :cool:

bzimage
21st September 2004, 03:16 PM
i now use eclipse+cdt , it 's a good choice,
i have tryed anjuta, but i find even i write a single hello world program ,
it will help me generate about 4MB source code:( , it's too large for me.

CD-RW
30th July 2010, 06:30 PM
I use Eclipse as it means only having to learn one GUI IDE. The learning curve is quiet steep, but a good place to get the concepts of Eclipse from is Mark Dexter's excellent Eclipse tutorials, which I have downloaded and burnt to CD/DVD. Highly recommended excellently produced screencasts. The best I've seen on the net so far!

http://www.eclipse.org/resources/resource.php?id=409

C++
PHP
Java
Perl
Python
Bash

Plus others

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM CDT ----------

Once you have mastered the basics of Eclipse, then check out the CDT docs that come with the CDT plugin. The Eclipse CDT (C/C++ Development Tools) plugin works for me out of the box on F12.

SMITH JOHN
5th August 2010, 05:49 PM
:confused:
HI everyone I'm a new user of fedora 13 or any linux system. I'm a student of computer science and I want to install c or c++ IDE's for programming and many more softwers for programming. these IDE's inbuilt in fedora 13 or not if there is nothing in dvd then tell me where can i find these IDEs Is there anyone who can help me about this topic, reply me soon I'm waiting for ur reply.........

recondite
6th August 2010, 09:33 AM
<<
I don't think vi qualifies as an IDE.
>>
I don't think it qualifies as an editor either. :)

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM CDT ----------

<<
An IDE simply integrates writing, compilation, execution, and debugging. Emacs fulfulls those needs, vim is a bit of a stretch but also can be considered an IDE imo.
>>
Can you really do more with vim than just edit?

ubunturk
9th August 2010, 03:24 PM
Absolutely gcc and gpp are the best and after those Netbeans come.

rpbear
11th August 2010, 09:33 AM
I used Code::blocks in windows,however i can use vi/gvim in Fedora,i still support Code::blocks!:)

roelj
11th August 2010, 07:22 PM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned QtCreator.. I started using it when I needed to make things with Qt, and I keep using it (also for non-GUI stuff).

I think it's a great IDE, plus it has an Interface Designer built in for Qt GUI applications.

abhijit_biswas
22nd September 2010, 06:24 PM
1. kdevelop-3.5 (not kdevelop-4)
2. code::blocks

mohan.10
23rd September 2010, 06:40 PM
Really?? Is Anjuta that good?? Never tried it..have to give it a shot!!

witek
23rd September 2010, 09:19 PM
What about Geany (http://geany.org/)?

JaxDragon
26th September 2010, 09:40 PM
Whats wrong with plain old gedit?

Geany is also very good.

tux4me
27th September 2010, 09:45 AM
I like Anjuta when doing Gtkmm GUI coding (C++) as i almost always do.

nmesis
2nd October 2010, 03:33 PM
im new to fedora.is eclipse+cdt is in package manager? and does fedora kde 13 have package manager?

CSchwangler
2nd October 2010, 05:44 PM
im new to fedora.is eclipse+cdt is in package manager? and does fedora kde 13 have package manager?

Try

yum list *eclipse*

and you will be given a long list of packages related to eclipse.

What exactly do you mean by

does fedora kde 13 have package manager

Of course is there a package manager in F13 KDE. It is not exactly the same as in Gnome. And there is always yum executed in a terminal.

nmesis
3rd October 2010, 02:56 AM
thanks.very helpful.now i know how to find available packages

MorphingDragon
3rd October 2010, 12:13 PM
Xcode.

But Netbeans on non Mac OSX systems.

NatLWalker
10th October 2010, 05:26 AM
If someone is coming from Windows using Visual Studio than even XCode will seem somewhat terrible to them. Part of the issue with Linux is the lack of good IDEs and the old-style (and verbose) feeling of the development tools.

KDevelop has actually gotten a lot better since they've focused on trimming the cruft out of their IDE (it had become a rusty swiss army knife by the time 3.5.x rolled around), and Qt Creator works for those who are just getting into Qt/KDE development.

I've never found Anjuta to be all that good, and NetBeans/Eclipse can function as C/C++ IDEs, but they're too heavy due to their Java roots.

MorphingDragon
10th October 2010, 05:57 AM
If someone is coming from Windows using Visual Studio than even XCode will seem somewhat terrible to them. Part of the issue with Linux is the lack of good IDEs and the old-style (and verbose) feeling of the development tools.

Since when was Visual Studio better than Netbeans. :p

In all seriousness though, someone could just take Monodevelop and make it C/C++/Obj-C compatible, you'd have a good IDE. Maybe give an option for Clang and LLVM too.

Koscierzyna - Joliette Travel Photos - Gisenyi Photos