PDA

View Full Version : FGLRX is in the repos, why doesn't it work yet?

BobNutfield
27th October 2008, 04:33 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have a Toshiba laptop with a Radeon X1200 series mobile graphics chipset which I use FGLRX just fine on with Ubuntu Intrepid with kernel 2.6.27. This thread:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=201567&highlight=fglrx+fedora

stated that it does not yet compile on the 2.6.27 kernel. It is now in the RPM fusion repos for the 2.6.27.4-47.rc3 kernel that is the latest in F10. So, I thought it would now be safe to try it. Well, sure enough, it would not install and crashed X. I had to restore it with system-config-display back to the mesa driver to get a desktop.

My question is, why will it STILL not compile against this kernel when it is working in other distros?

If anyone has an answer, I would appreciate it.

Bob

TheIcebreaker
28th October 2008, 11:07 AM
Why do you need repos for fglrx
Just download the installer from ATI site and install it will build the kernel module for you if you have all the build tools.

install gcc make autoconf from yum before doing that.

BobNutfield
28th October 2008, 02:54 PM
Why do you need repos for fglrx
Just download the installer from ATI site and install it will build the kernel module for you if you have all the build tools.

install gcc make autoconf from yum before doing that.

Thanks for the reply, but, unless I am wrong, everytime there is a new kernel I will have to rebuild fglrx if I get directly from the ATI site, something that will be done automatically with the build from the repos. And, as we all know, Fedora introduces new kernels quite frequently. I have used the livna version of the driver for a long time and never had an issue. Just wondering why it is still non-working in the version in the repos.

TheIcebreaker
28th October 2008, 02:59 PM
I get your problem but I think ATI releases drivers more often than fedora give major updates for kernels. So running the installer once every moth shouldnt be a problem and that way you dont have to wait for the rpm after the driver is released.

Building and everything is done by the installer. you just have to run the installer everything works out of the box.

partha
31st October 2008, 10:58 AM
I get your problem but I think ATI releases drivers more often than fedora give major updates for kernels. So running the installer once every moth shouldnt be a problem and that way you dont have to wait for the rpm after the driver is released.

Building and everything is done by the installer. you just have to run the installer everything works out of the box.

My impression was that it is not the kernel, obviously it compiles. It is the fact that FC10 uses xorg 1.5 which is not supported by fglrx. Hence it wouldn't work.

How did you get fglrx to work on FC10?

Thanks,
Partha

Mikko
3rd November 2008, 09:44 PM
I tried

kernel-2.6.27.4-68.fc10.i686
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.5.2-10.fc10.i386
kmod-fglrx-2.6.27.4-68.fc10.i686.i686
xorg-x11-drv-fglrx.i386 8.543-0.4.8.11beta.fc10

The driver packages are from Livna. The hardware is an Acer TravelMate 8200 with

ATI Technologies Inc M56P [Radeon Mobility X1600]

It doesn't work. The graphics never come up and the machine appears hung, although I get some random characters on the screen if I press the keys. Why do Livna keep packaging these drivers if they are known not to work with the 1.5 server? Or do they work with some chips?

partha
3rd November 2008, 11:38 PM
If you boot at level 3 and then start X manually using startx what kind of error messages do you get in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

(I am assuming your question was rhetorical :) )

Partha

Mikko
4th November 2008, 08:39 AM
(I am assuming your question was rhetorical :) )

Yes it was rhetorical in the sense that I don't have any time to spend on this, so I'll just stick with the free drivers and wait for ATI/Livna to catch up. But I do wonder whether the fglrx driver currently works on 1.5 at all anywhere. I haven't been able to find information on that.

The log says:

(II) fglrx(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
"Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 8/8
(EE) fglrx(0): Given depth (8) is not supported by fglrx driver
(EE) fglrx(0): PreInitVisual failed
(EE) fglrx(0): PreInit failed
(II) fglrx(0): === [atiddxPreInit] === end
SetVBEMode failed

I was running with the xorg.conf generated by the script in the Livna config package. The xorg.conf had no mode setting. So apparently the current fglrx does not deal too well with the automatic discovery in 1.5 and/or modesetting in the new kernels.

partha
5th November 2008, 12:26 AM
I would think that rpmfusion would create an xorg.conf for you. Have you tried creating your own xorg.conf and testing to see if you can boot?

Partha

BobNutfield
5th November 2008, 12:03 PM
I suppose I would refer to my original post. My question is centered around why Ubuntu Intrepid (which uses the same version of Xorg as F10) has a working FGLRX package and the Livna/RPM Fusion version will not. I know I could be wrong, but I have found no indication that anyone has FGLRX working in F10 with Xorg 1.5.

Firewing1
5th November 2008, 03:24 PM
I've examined the layout of files in Ubuntu and they're nearly identical to the ones in the RPM Fusion packages (the ones that differ don't make a difference). Ubuntu however, uses kernel 2.6.27 and libdrm 2.3.1. Fedora is using kernel 2.6.27.4 and libdrm 2.4.0... Among other things, I think this is what is causing the problem. Either way, we can't do much but wait since the Ubuntu build of the fglrx driver seems to be a very early (and broken?) beta and it's unsupported by ATI.

Hopefully the coming Catalyst 8.11 later this November will solve these problems.
Firewing1

Fort Dodge - Enterprise Instagram Photos - Aoji-ri Photos on Instagram