PDA

View Full Version : web Browser

earobinson111
5th August 2004, 05:15 PM
hey people just a pole what web browser do you use? and why?

If your like me and use more than one u can pick more than one

ghaefb
5th August 2004, 05:20 PM
Firefox 0.91

..and why didn't you create a poll ?

earobinson111
5th August 2004, 05:22 PM
i did just took a while

earobinson111
5th August 2004, 05:32 PM
any way i can change the tytle of this to What Web Browser Do You use? i changed my first msg but dident change they way you see it ion the forum

Quella
5th August 2004, 05:52 PM
I did nto see 'Opera' as a selection. That is my choice from Other.

Quella

earobinson111
5th August 2004, 05:55 PM
blast very true . ... dam i always leave something out no way i can edit the pole i take it

Mat
5th August 2004, 06:24 PM
I think it's time we all create websites that only look right on mozilla or firefox... :)
breaks the MS stuff and enables people to use web standards more freely!

Mat

ghaefb
5th August 2004, 06:54 PM
I think it's time we all create websites that only look right on mozilla or firefox... :)
breaks the MS stuff and enables people to use web standards more freely!

Mat

agree... ;)

imdeemvp
5th August 2004, 07:07 PM
i use both mozilla and firefox and from time to time epiphany but i am stuck with IE at work :D

earobinson111
5th August 2004, 10:38 PM
what web standards?

micha
5th August 2004, 10:44 PM
The ones published by the World Wide Web Consortium http://w3.org

earobinson111
5th August 2004, 10:51 PM
intresting thanks

foolish
5th August 2004, 10:58 PM
Epiphany is my choice.

I'm one of them User interface (UI) fanatics and epiphany is just outstanding. It's very well integrated with the rest of the Gnome 2.6 desktop, it has the most wonderful bookmark handling ever, the way it handles smart bookmarks is just beyond everything else.

While having a great interface, it's actually quite flexible. It's extremely simple to add search fields, toolbars and add, remove or move buttons. The preferences are the simplest I've seen for any browser. No uneeded options, only what you need. If you like ease of use and desktop integration, epiphany is the best there is!

It is a bit slower than firefox. And the extension system isn't as mature. The next major release of epiphany (included in gnome 2.8 and Fedora Core 3) will include a better extension system, more similar to the firefox one. I'm looking forward to it.

micha
5th August 2004, 11:09 PM
intresting thanks
Some other interesting links:
http://www.w3schools.com
http://www.csszengarden.com
http://validator.w3.org
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator

Jman
6th August 2004, 01:57 AM
Mozilla mostly, but Firefox sometimes. I got Firefox on a shared family Windows machine.

Opera added, and Quella's vote changed.

mark
6th August 2004, 02:36 AM
#1, Mozilla. #2, Firefox (but it's gaining...). Finally, Internet Exploder - er, Explorer at work where our intranet is rife with .ASP, .NET, DirectX and who knows what other kinds of contagious apps...

Mat
6th August 2004, 02:50 AM
Finally, Internet Exploder - er, Explorer at work where our intranet is rife with .ASP, .NET, DirectX and who knows what other kinds of contagious apps...

sounds like a good reason to get a better job :)

earobinson111
6th August 2004, 07:00 AM
Mozilla mostly, but Firefox sometimes. I got Firefox on a shared family Windows machine.

Opera added, and Quella's vote changed.

nice u can change that (why is my pole limited to only 10 things?)

Varkk
7th August 2004, 04:42 AM
On my laptop I use Galeon, on my home desktop I use firefox 0.9.2 (I should upgrade to 0.9.3) I also occasionally use konqueror as it seems to handle a few IE 'optimised' sites which don't work in a real browser.

earobinson111
7th August 2004, 04:10 PM
why dont some one write an IE optimised plug in for firefox (only cuz its the top use lol not cuz i use it)

oxman
7th August 2004, 11:52 PM
Well I have used galeon for a very long time. Since a week ago I upgraded from RH9 to FC2 and I have been using Mozilla ever since. I am wondering if I should give firefox a try?

foolish
8th August 2004, 12:21 AM
Please understand, I'm not trying to be rude, I just had enough of this spelling mistake. Hopefully, this will clear things up.

It's called a Poll, not a pole.

Here's how a poll (the right word) is described in the dictionary:

1: an inquiry into public opinion conducted by interviewing a
random sample of people [syn: {opinion poll}, {public
opinion poll}, {canvass}]
2: the top of the head [syn: {pate}, {crown}]
3: the part of the head between the ears
4: a tame parrot [syn: {poll parrot}]
5: the counting of votes (as in an election)
v 1: get the opinions of people, for example [syn: {canvass}, {canvas}]
2: vote in an election at a polling station
3: get the votes of
4: convert into a pollard, as of trees [syn: {pollard}]

You keep saying pole, that's wrong!

Here's what the dictionary says about a pole:

1: a long (usually round) rod of wood or metal or plastic
2: a native or inhabitant of Poland [syn: {Pole}]
3: one of two divergent or mutually exclusive opinions; "they
are at opposite poles" or "they are poles apart"
4: (British) a linear measure of 16.5 feet [syn: {perch}, {rod}]
5: a square rod of land [syn: {perch}, {rod}]
6: one of two points of intersection of the Earth's axis and
the celestial sphere [syn: {celestial pole}]
7: one of two antipodal points where the Earth's axis of
rotation intersects the Earth's surface
8: a contact on an electrical device (such as a battery) at
which electric current enters or leaves [syn: {terminal}]
9: a long fiberglass sports implement used for pole vaulting
10: one of the two ends of a magnet where the magnetism seems to
be concentrated [syn: {magnetic pole}]
v 1: propel with a pole; of barges on rivers, for example [syn: {punt}]
2: support on poles, of climbing plants, such as beans
3: deoxidize molten metals by stirring them with a wooden pole

To further emphasis the difference, I've attached some pictures of poles:

Remember, Poll! not pole!

Mat
8th August 2004, 02:13 AM
:) that's one creative way of correcting people... n1!

ghaefb
8th August 2004, 09:45 AM
agree... :p

i1n2d3y4
8th August 2004, 10:09 AM
Use Mozilla like 95% of the time, but am forced to use IE for things like business internet banking as my bank seems to think that IE is secure (this is what I get told everytime I call customer support and ask them when mozilla support will be rolled out). :rolleyes:

Buchan
10th August 2004, 04:47 PM
Foolish==> I have to say I really like the way you did that :)

I used to use Mozilla before the firefox/thunderbird split.
Now its Firefox all the way. Although I am like anyone else out there who when they run across one of those NASTY non compliant sites has to open a copy of IE :eek:

Mat
10th August 2004, 06:33 PM
Although I am like anyone else out there who when they run across one of those NASTY non compliant sites has to open a copy of IE :eek:

those sites don't deserve to be visited... not cause I don't like IE, but because standarts exist for a reason..

imdeemvp
10th August 2004, 06:50 PM
Well I have used galeon for a very long time. Since a week ago I upgraded from RH9 to FC2 and I have been using Mozilla ever since. I am wondering if I should give firefox a try?

by all means it very fast and nice.....it loads my pages faster then mozilla and i checked by counting the seconds it takes mozilla to load vs firefox <- wins 5-7 seconds faster

samwyse
10th August 2004, 07:52 PM
those sites don't deserve to be visited... not cause I don't like IE, but because standarts exist for a reason..

Yeah. It would be fun if there was notifications like "You seem to be running IE, get a proper webbrowser like Mozilla or Opera". I hate the sites that have something like "This site is optimized for IE and Netscape (which to my knowledge isn't updated anymore)".

And for the poll: I use Opera, because there isn't a browser where mouse gestures work at the same accuracy. Firefox and Mozilla don't seem to get my gestures unless I do them slow. I can do fast movements with Opera and it works. I use Mozilla/Firefox/Konqueror only to test some pages.

Konqueror with khotkeys gestures seems ok, but it doesn't have "rocker gestures".

Prometheus
11th August 2004, 01:38 AM
Firefox all the way. I used to use Mozilla, and like it, but it always felt too bulky for me, as i never used 3/4 of the features, and it isn't as compatable as Firefox. Now, i rarely venture into IE or even mozilla for that matter unless i have to. Firefox rocks!

sailor
11th August 2004, 03:18 AM
I have just switched over to Firefox...and I am very satisified with it...got a cool extension called Sage to monitor the fedoraforum rss feed....and image zoom so I can give my eyes a break...overall very fast...haven't noticed any problems yet...
I also switched to Thunderbird as well...it seems to be not much different form Mozilla Mail....

earobinson111
11th August 2004, 06:30 AM
ya firefox is great good comanding lead i thing

earobinson111
11th August 2004, 06:34 AM
and sorry bout the spelling i am dislexic (is that how u spell it lol)?

earobinson111
12th August 2004, 05:37 PM
oops wrong place

Ned
13th August 2004, 03:51 AM
Firefox here too :)

Funnily enough, on my one windows system on which I also use firefox, the Windows Update site thinks I don't have a version of windows installed unless I use IE. Then when I run windows update it tells me my version of IE needs 101 updates. Maybe that's why I don't use it :p

earobinson111
16th August 2004, 05:27 PM
weird, i know that u cant uninstall IE since windows uses it to show all your folders

every try to update IE

PsyGhost
16th August 2004, 05:53 PM
In KDE is use konqueror.
In GNOME I use mozilla/firefox.
And for the console I use elinks.

carlwill
17th August 2004, 06:18 AM
love Firefox - great tool for web browsing...

NoN
21st August 2004, 03:58 PM
galeon is great, i enjoy to use this browser :)

earobinson111
22nd August 2004, 01:14 PM
galeon is great, i enjoy to use this browser :)

may i ask why?

shtik
22nd August 2004, 05:07 PM
i'm using opera, i guess i'm stuck with m2 (the email client from opera) ...

earobinson111
23rd August 2004, 02:04 AM
What about netscape no one using that?

imdeemvp
23rd August 2004, 02:21 AM
i do the same i olny use IE at work but at home firefox and mozilla and rarely konquerer :D

Shadow Skill
1st September 2004, 12:49 AM
I use firefox 99 percent of the time under windows (How I wish I could uninstall IE.) and I use Opera when I'm in Fedora (More and more often I might add.) only because the firefox installer is just crappy at the moment, and I need my browser to work across all of my desktop environments (Flux, Gnome, and XFCE) as the default. (Granted I rarely use gnome now, fluxbox rules! :) )

Ps. what do you all think of Opera's price tag? Personally I think they are insane to charge that much for a web browser when there are far cleaner and less guady browsers like Mozilla and to a greater extemt Firefox available for free.

Mat
1st September 2004, 09:21 AM
just install firefox with yum, and you're set with firefox

Ug
1st September 2004, 10:46 AM
I use epiphany and firefox. So :p

Shadow Skill
2nd September 2004, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the yum info, can you set yum to compile from a source rpm?

Chas.H
2nd September 2004, 04:10 AM
I use Mozilla at home(FC2) and at work (WIN2K). Can't do without tabbed browsing or type ahead find. The javascript console is also a well needed tool.

:D For about two weeks I used the "Swedish Chef" version of Opera... What better way to surf those MicroSoft :eek: pages.

Did anyone see that one?

Chas.H
2nd September 2004, 04:07 PM
I was just reminded here at work just how crummy IE is. I write php/xhtml webpages with a lot of JavaScript in them. I use Mozilla almost exclusively here at work. I only use IE for the short time it takes to see how my work is rendered in IE because 95% or more of my viewers use it. Following the rules of the Document Object Model doesn't mean it will work in MS world.

Mat
2nd September 2004, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the yum info, can you set yum to compile from a source rpm?

no, yum "just" downloads and install the rpms..

earobinson111
3rd September 2004, 04:46 PM
can anyone explain the read diference between mozilla and firefox?

Mat
3rd September 2004, 05:35 PM
mozilla is based on the old netscape and thus has a mail client, editor etc.

firefox was started from scratch, in order to be light, fast and reliable

earobinson111
6th September 2004, 04:20 PM
ahh ic, but they are very siimmilar in feal

muckraker
6th September 2004, 04:59 PM
Mostly Firefox, sometimes Mozilla. Used both even in my Windows days. Firefox just feels lighter and faster; Mozilla feels more unwieldy.
(Never did like IE -- used it a couple of times, just long enough to download Mozilla. That's about all IE is good for.)

DarkMasterMatt
6th September 2004, 10:02 PM
Right now I use Firefox.

imdeemvp
7th September 2004, 01:57 AM
the only think i dont like about firefox its that is doesnt create the folder in the /usr/lib

Mat
7th September 2004, 01:32 PM
did you install it via yum?

I have such a folder

Ranjith
8th September 2004, 07:10 AM
I use several web browsers, since my job requires web side scripting. I usually test my work in various browsers. I use Netscape, Opera, Mozilla and Firefox. I rate Opera and Netscape as good.

Ranjith.

muckraker
8th September 2004, 05:36 PM
Using apt-get (or synaptic if you're feelin' lazy) will put Firefox into /usr/lib, with the shell script in /usr/bin. What's even cooler is that the new Synaptic install (who's feelin' lazy?) automatically picked up all my old prefs, bookmarks, and extensions. I had some trepidations of using apt-get to reload Firefox because I didn't feel like messing with prefs and bookmarks again, but it worked just super.
I'm a little a-skeered to get rid of the Firefox directory in my /home directory, though -- may have some of the key stuff in there.

earobinson111
8th September 2004, 07:01 PM
Why wouldent they set it up so it goes to the same folder no matter how u install?

muckraker
8th September 2004, 07:15 PM
Not sure ... my first Firefox install was a tar.gz, and I'm a little sloppy about where I unpack/install those. They usually end up in the /home directory, which would be problematic if someone else was using my computer. (I still have much to learn.)

crossfire
25th November 2004, 05:26 PM
Welll, I lilke FIrefox and Mozilla too.
But when I used to start internet in Brazil (95), I remember a browser produced by IBM in OS/2 Warp, called Webexplorer. You could upgrade it like nowadays applications do (live update). I didn't know if MS take part of devel of this browser because MS stopped in the version OS/2 1.0 and IBM continue working it -- was a project that beginned with this companies ;p

http://pages.prodigy.net/michaln/history/os2warp/

dmac
25th November 2004, 05:36 PM
I'm using Firefox 1.0 as a browser and Evolution as email client. My one complaint about Firefox - or rather the thing I haven't been able to get working that frustrates me - is its refusal to open html links from emails. The browser opens to a blank page, and I have to cut and paste the link from the email...

dmac

Mat
25th November 2004, 06:44 PM
did you setup firefox as your default browser in gnome-default-applications-properties?
be sure that it is started with the '%s' parameter

even if that doesn't help, you can always drag and drop the link on an already open firefox window or tab..

Mat

Herzogenrath - Ingraj Bazar Photos - Gyeongsan-si