PDA

View Full Version : kernel-2.6.7-1.494.2.2.x86_64

lightismagic
4th August 2004, 10:14 PM
Hi all,
I'm using a custom kernel based on verion 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.x86_64 at the moment. The only change in the configuration is that I enabled ntfs support. Now yum has offered me an update to kernel-2.6.7-1.494.2.2.x86_64 and I decided to try it. I recompiled it - again with ntfs support - and it built without any errors. But ofter rebooting there's still no support for the ntfs partions. I also noticed a problem with my usb speedtouch modem, but I haven't digged into it yet.
Does anyone of you guys have similiar problems? I'm back to my old kernel at the moment...

kind regards
lightismagic

Dragoran
5th August 2004, 07:10 AM
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=129157
please post the output of dmesg

lightismagic
5th August 2004, 01:07 PM
checked my system log and tried to find some differences between kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3 and kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2. In the 2.6.6 kernel the NTFS driver is 2.1.14 in the new kernel the version is 2.1.15. The error message is "/dev/hde5 is not a valid blockdevice"
This is a litlle bit strange because with the old kernel there is no problem mounting /dev/hde5 (which is a logical windows-ntfs partition on my second (SATA) harddrive)

regards
lightismagic

lightismagic
5th August 2004, 06:08 PM
O.k. all problems solved! The ntfs-partition was not mounted because in the 2.6.7 kernel Sata drives are not longer labeled hd-whatever, they are now sd-whatever. So changing /dev/hde5 to /dev/sda5 in /etc/fstab makes it working again. The windows-ntfs-partition is now mounted at boottime like expected.
The problem with the Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem was a little bit more tricky. In the config-file which comes with the kernel is the speedtch module enabled. This will not work when you want to use the userland driver. In fact, I have never managed to get the module running with a pppoa connection which is used by my provider. So, I disabled the module in the config file, recompiled the kernel, rebooted, used my standart way to connect to the internet and the sun is shining again....

kind regards
lightismagic

Harbin Instagram Photos - Melbourne Photos - Fes Instagram Photos -