PDA

View Full Version : kernel-2.6.7-1.494.2.2.x86_64

lightismagic
4th August 2004, 10:14 PM
Hi all,
I'm using a custom kernel based on verion 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.x86_64 at the moment. The only change in the configuration is that I enabled ntfs support. Now yum has offered me an update to kernel-2.6.7-1.494.2.2.x86_64 and I decided to try it. I recompiled it - again with ntfs support - and it built without any errors. But ofter rebooting there's still no support for the ntfs partions. I also noticed a problem with my usb speedtouch modem, but I haven't digged into it yet.
Does anyone of you guys have similiar problems? I'm back to my old kernel at the moment...

kind regards
lightismagic

Dragoran
5th August 2004, 07:10 AM
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=129157
please post the output of dmesg

lightismagic
5th August 2004, 01:07 PM
checked my system log and tried to find some differences between kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3 and kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2. In the 2.6.6 kernel the NTFS driver is 2.1.14 in the new kernel the version is 2.1.15. The error message is "/dev/hde5 is not a valid blockdevice"
This is a litlle bit strange because with the old kernel there is no problem mounting /dev/hde5 (which is a logical windows-ntfs partition on my second (SATA) harddrive)

regards
lightismagic

lightismagic
5th August 2004, 06:08 PM
O.k. all problems solved! The ntfs-partition was not mounted because in the 2.6.7 kernel Sata drives are not longer labeled hd-whatever, they are now sd-whatever. So changing /dev/hde5 to /dev/sda5 in /etc/fstab makes it working again. The windows-ntfs-partition is now mounted at boottime like expected.
The problem with the Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem was a little bit more tricky. In the config-file which comes with the kernel is the speedtch module enabled. This will not work when you want to use the userland driver. In fact, I have never managed to get the module running with a pppoa connection which is used by my provider. So, I disabled the module in the config file, recompiled the kernel, rebooted, used my standart way to connect to the internet and the sun is shining again....

kind regards
lightismagic

Pietermaritzburg - Houghton-le-Spring Travel Photos on Instagram - Royal Leamington Spa