PDA

View Full Version : dual boot fedora 8 and 10beta

bharat211
8th October 2008, 01:39 AM
Hi all,

Here is my situation: I've a 150 GB hard disk that currently has fedora 8 installed on it. I want to partition 20GB of it for fedora 10beta testing. I would like fedora 8 and fedora 10 systems to be completely independent, i.e., no sharing of /home, etc .

I've never done a dual boot of my system before and I'm not quite sure how to approach this. Maybe someone here can guide me through this.

Thanks,
bharat211

P.S.: Moderators, please move this thread to its appropriate location if it's not this one. :)

bob
8th October 2008, 01:47 AM
What I do is to simply use 'ext3' instead of LVM (custom partitioning) and install grub on the root partition rather than overwriting the mbr for the new install. If you've got your Fedora 8 set up with LVM, then you'd need to add a swap partition too, since the LVM swap will be invisible.

Keep in mind that you'll have to add a configfile boot to your existing grub.conf to boot the Fedora 10 beta. Something like this:

title Fedora 10
configfile (hd0,2) /boot/grub/grub.conf <adjust to conform to your drive

bharat211
8th October 2008, 01:55 AM
Hi Bob,

thanks for the prompt response but I'm sorry to say that I don't quite understand how to install grub on the root partition with my current setup. Could you please explain this in a bit more detail. Or maybe you could point me to a howto page for dual boots?

Thanks,
bharat211

satyajit.r
8th October 2008, 02:02 AM
during the install time look out for options for installing the boot loader, in that you will find an option to install the boot loader in you root partition.

Warri Travel Photos - Bouake Travel Photos - Cangzhou -