PDA

View Full Version : dual boot fedora 8 and 10beta

bharat211
8th October 2008, 01:39 AM
Hi all,

Here is my situation: I've a 150 GB hard disk that currently has fedora 8 installed on it. I want to partition 20GB of it for fedora 10beta testing. I would like fedora 8 and fedora 10 systems to be completely independent, i.e., no sharing of /home, etc .

I've never done a dual boot of my system before and I'm not quite sure how to approach this. Maybe someone here can guide me through this.

Thanks,
bharat211

P.S.: Moderators, please move this thread to its appropriate location if it's not this one. :)

bob
8th October 2008, 01:47 AM
What I do is to simply use 'ext3' instead of LVM (custom partitioning) and install grub on the root partition rather than overwriting the mbr for the new install. If you've got your Fedora 8 set up with LVM, then you'd need to add a swap partition too, since the LVM swap will be invisible.

Keep in mind that you'll have to add a configfile boot to your existing grub.conf to boot the Fedora 10 beta. Something like this:

title Fedora 10
configfile (hd0,2) /boot/grub/grub.conf <adjust to conform to your drive

bharat211
8th October 2008, 01:55 AM
Hi Bob,

thanks for the prompt response but I'm sorry to say that I don't quite understand how to install grub on the root partition with my current setup. Could you please explain this in a bit more detail. Or maybe you could point me to a howto page for dual boots?

Thanks,
bharat211

satyajit.r
8th October 2008, 02:02 AM
during the install time look out for options for installing the boot loader, in that you will find an option to install the boot loader in you root partition.

Bremen - Westmount Instagram Photos - Ventspils Travel Photos on Instagram