PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 10 Beta on the Eee Pc 901

Quasar8000
1st October 2008, 12:48 PM
I download the F10 Beta ISO image yesterday, but unfortunately I faced problems when I tried to install it using the same method I used to install F9 (explained here (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=199434)). The creation of diskboot.img and booting from it went flawlessly, but when I plugged in my external HDD which had the F10 ISO image on it, and pointed the installer there, it wouldn't mount it. It kept asking for the folder which contains "install.img", which is in the "images" folder in the ISO image. I mounted the image on my desktop PC, copied all the files to the HDD, and pointed the installer to the "images" folder, it worked fine. But then after creating the partitions and formatting the SSDs, I got the following message(titled Missing ISO 9660 Image): "The installer has tried to mount image #1, but cannot find it on the hard drive. Please copy this image to the drive and click Retry. Click Exit to abort the installation.". I tried to copy the ISO image to the HDD and I tried putting it in the "images" folder, but it wouldn't continue. So I had to stop the installation. I guess bugs are expected, I'm just annoyed it cost me my F9 installation :mad:

Firewing1
1st October 2008, 01:19 PM
I download the F10 Beta ISO image yesterday, but unfortunately I faced problems when I tried to install it using the same method I used to install F9 (explained here (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=199434)). The creation of diskboot.img and booting from it went flawlessly, but when I plugged in my external HDD which had the F10 ISO image on it, and pointed the installer there, it wouldn't mount it. It kept asking for the folder which contains "install.img", which is in the "images" folder in the ISO image. I mounted the image on my desktop PC, copied all the files to the HDD, and pointed the installer to the "images" folder, it worked fine. But then after creating the partitions and formatting the SSDs, I got the following message(titled Missing ISO 9660 Image): "The installer has tried to mount image #1, but cannot find it on the hard drive. Please copy this image to the drive and click Retry. Click Exit to abort the installation.". I tried to copy the ISO image to the HDD and I tried putting it in the "images" folder, but it wouldn't continue. So I had to stop the installation. I guess bugs are expected, I'm just annoyed it cost me my F9 installation :mad:
Do you have a 1GB USB key (or larger)? I've installed to a eeepc via USB key and it went flawlessly (see here (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/LiveCDHowTo#Using_Live_Images_from_USB_Media))
Firewing1

scottro
1st October 2008, 01:54 PM
There's a great tool now for creating USB images from ISOs, unetbootin. I didn't get it to work properly on Fedora--it was looking for files that did exist, but weren't, apparently, where it was expecting to find them. However, running it on Ubuntu, it can create a bootable USB of most distro ISOs (though it has a bug with the current Mandriva).

Lately, livecd-iso-to-disk was giving me problems on Rawhide, so I tried this on an Ubuntu partition that I had, and I've become a convert.

I'll be following this thread since, at present, I'm undecided between the 901 and the latest Acer Aspire with the 6 cell battery. The Acer's around $80-100 USD cheaper though.

sideways
1st October 2008, 02:13 PM
I ran LIveCD 10 Beta on an Acer Aspire One from a 1gb usb stick created on another fedora machine as follows:

su -
mkdir /mnt/iso
mount -o loop Fedora-10-Beta-i686-Live/F10-Beta-i686-Live.iso /mnt/iso
/mnt/iso/LiveOS/livecd-iso-to-disk --overlay-size-mb 128 --home-size-mb 64 --unencrypted-home /mnt/data/Fedora-10-Beta-i686-Live/F10-Beta-i686-Live.iso /dev/sdb1

I used a 128mb persistent overlay and 64mb persistent home directory partition (fits on 1gb stick and still allows room for a few misc files on the stick)

Webcam, 3D Rendering, Audio (a little quiet) and Wifi all work :) (running glxgears generates a selinux error but selinuxtroubleshooter gives instructions on how to fix that)

Fonts are too big, so go to System->Preferences->Look and Feel->Appearance->Fonts, click Details button and set dots per inch to 108 or 96. Log out and in to get desktop fonts reset. GDM fonts are still large - anyone have a fix for that? (I think I need to pass -dpi 96 to the Xsession somewhere)

I have a UK keyboard, I had to select United Kingdom Dvorak keyboard at gdm login screen (otherwise cursor keys didn't work)

I then booted an eeepc 701 from the configured stick and it also worked pretty flawlessly.

It's a little sluggish (is debugging still enabled?), but looking good :)

edit
and the good news is that touchpad tapping is now working by default - you see, developers do listen to users, sometimes...

Quasar8000
1st October 2008, 02:29 PM
I think I forgot to say I was attempting to install the full version, not the live CD version :)

sideways
1st October 2008, 04:22 PM
I think I forgot to say I was attempting to install the full version, not the live CD version :)

I had problems with this install method in the alpha release, I haven't had time to try the beta, but looks like there are still issues. You should post a bugzilla so they can fix it before the preview release.

LiveCD is much easier to trial than the full dvd, especially on machines like the eeepc with no optical drive.

It has a hard disk install option, and after install you can easily add package groups (like "Development Tools") via yum to get a full installation.

Quasar8000
2nd October 2008, 10:14 AM
I tried installing the LiveCD using livecd-iso-to-disk and it went without problems, but the first time I booted it gave me an error while checking the filesystem. The error was:

fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/mapper/luks-05ba5d60-43ce-4ed3-b1ed-a25cfce15835
/dev/mapper/luks-05ba5d60-43ce-4ed3-b1ed-a25cfce15835:
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Then it fails to boot. So I assumed there was a problem with the installation, and reinstalled, it worked, but then after I did a full update from Rawhide, I got the same error again. My partitions are as follows:

/dev/sda (Primary 4GB SSD):
/boot ext3 196MB
/ ext3 The rest of the drive

/dev/sdb (Secondary 16GB SSD)
swap 1027MB
/home encrypted ext3 The rest of the drive

Any ideas on how to fix this or what could be causing it?

sideways
2nd October 2008, 10:41 AM
Are you using a persistent overlay? That often gets corrupted after a large update, and can't be recovered (you can press tab at the boot screen and remove the overlay parameter from the boot options to boot into a standard live environment)

Otherwise it might be due to using an encrypted home partition, you could try using --unencrypted-home when creating the live usb, that worked ok for me.

I have found the persistence solutions in F9 and F10beta to not be so reliable. I still use the old fashioned method of storing home as a separate directory on the usb stick and symlinking to it after boot (then log out log in), and having a few scripts, apps and packages on the usb disk to automate post install configuration (takes a minute or so after each boot, but at least it's reliable)

Perhaps you should create the live usb with no persistence overlay or separate home partition, then install to hard disk once booted.

Quasar8000
2nd October 2008, 10:54 AM
Perhaps you should create the live usb with no persistence overlay or separate home partition, then install to hard disk once booted.
That's what I did. That's what I meant by "installing the LiveCD". These problems occurred after I installed the LiveCD to the SSD.

sideways
2nd October 2008, 11:42 AM
I haven't tried a permanent install, looks like it is buggy. :( (or rawhide update is sbuggy - probably to be expected)

You should post the above info as a bugzilla, explaining how you installed (how did you chose partitions etc)

PS (unrelated)
To get the uk keyboard working I posted above that I select Dvorak keyboard, but this seems not to work on a second attempt, to make it work I had to create an xorg.conf, specify "gb" keyboard and reboot (just restarting x didn't work) (this requires a persistent overlay obviously)

Quasar8000
4th October 2008, 06:16 AM
So here's what I got so far: I formatted the SSD and did a clean installation with the same partitioning scheme as stated above but with no encryption on the /home partition, and so far faced no problems, which leads me to believe that either there's something wrong with the way F10 mounts encrypted partitions or I have a very bad luck.

There are a few other things related to the Eee PC that I noted:

The good:
1. When resuming after suspend, the screen brightness keys function normally.

The bad:
1. There's no WLAN control file in /sys/devices/platform/eeepc anymore, and the WLAN gets automatically enabled at startup regardless of its status in the BIOS.
2. There's still no way to control bluetooth from inside Fedora.
3. There's still no way to control the FSB of the Atom CPU to achieve the same 1.8GHz overclock as the default Xandros Linux.
4. When the screen is idle and is dimmed, then brought back, it doesn't return to the same brightness level it was on before dimming, it always defaults to 7.

Quasar8000
10th October 2008, 09:04 AM
Today I updated to the latest kernel version (2.6.27-3) and all the problems I mentioned in my last post were still there, which makes me think that the problem is in F10, not the kernel. Any ideas on how any of these problems can be fixed?

jkll
10th October 2008, 09:24 AM
Is f10 dont support ssd?

inf
17th October 2008, 01:21 PM
What's the state of EEE 901 support in Fedora 10 at the moment? Does wifi and ethernet work out of the box?

How about the silver quick keys?

Quasar8000
18th October 2008, 06:04 AM
I'm currently using the latest packages from Rawhide on my Eee PC. Ethernet works out of the box, Wi-Fi works after you compile the driver (which is straight forward and doesn't require any patches or modifications), but if you check post no. 11 above, you'll see some of the problems that still need to be fixed.

Quasar8000
21st October 2008, 09:36 PM
A quick update: After some searching, I discovered that since the 2.6.27 kernel is supposed to take care of the wireless toggling, there's no need for the WLAN state switch in /sys/devices/platform/eeepc anymore. Instead, this functionality can now be accessed through /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state, which can be used to turn the WLAN on (echo 1 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state) or off (echo 0 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state). The good news is that there's also a control for the bluetooth at /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill1/state, the bad news is that it doesn't seem to be working yet. All the other problems I mentioned above are still unchanged. I hope the coming kernel releases fix those issues.

Duli
30th October 2008, 12:58 AM
A quick update: After some searching, I discovered that since the 2.6.27 kernel is supposed to take care of the wireless toggling, there's no need for the WLAN state switch in /sys/devices/platform/eeepc anymore. Instead, this functionality can now be accessed through /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state, which can be used to turn the WLAN on (echo 1 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state) or off (echo 0 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state). The good news is that there's also a control for the bluetooth at /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill1/state, the bad news is that it doesn't seem to be working yet. All the other problems I mentioned above are still unchanged. I hope the coming kernel releases fix those issues.

Yep, I'm on 2.6.27.4-51.fc10.i686 here on Eee PC 701. The echo 0 turns wireless light off, but the antenna seems to be on and capturing surround wireless devices, altough I'm not able to connect to them anymore.

Then, if I issue echo 1 again, it doesn't get back again normally. I'm unable to connect to any network available.

Any other way of manually disabling and enabling wlan card?

Quasar8000
1st November 2008, 10:34 PM
Yep, I'm on 2.6.27.4-51.fc10.i686 here on Eee PC 701. The echo 0 turns wireless light off, but the antenna seems to be on and capturing surround wireless devices, altough I'm not able to connect to them anymore.

Then, if I issue echo 1 again, it doesn't get back again normally. I'm unable to connect to any network available.

Any other way of manually disabling and enabling wlan card?
That could be due to the fact that the Eee PC 701 uses a MadWifi driver. I think the procedure to turn off MadWifi drivers is not the same as the procedure to turn off Ralink's drivers. Unfortunately I don't have a 701 so I can't help much there, but I can suggest a couple of things based on the script used to enable/disable WLAN using Fn+F2 under Fedora 9. To stop the WLAN completely try the following commands:
rmmod ath_pci
rmmod ath_rate_sample
rmmod wlan_scan_sta
rmmod wlan_tkip
rmmod wlan_wep
rmmod wlan
Then issue the echo 0 command. To enable WLAN reception again, try issuing echo 1 then
modprobe ath_pci
Hopefully this would work, please let us know if it does.

Duli
3rd November 2008, 09:51 PM
Hello, Quasar8000:

This is what has worked for Eee PC + F10:

service NetworkManager stop
modprobe pciehp pciehp_force=1
ifconfig wlan0 down
rmmod ath5k
echo 0 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state
rmmod pciehp
service NetworkManager start

Then, to turn the wireless back on:

service NetworkManager stop
modprobe pciehp pciehp_force=1
echo 1 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state
rmmod pciehp
service NetworkManager start

A bug has been reported by me: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=461329

Thanks!

Thanks.