PDA

View Full Version : So, what is this?

wvn
30th September 2008, 07:26 PM
Taken from F10b release notes

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2008-September/msg00016.html

Among the new, fun, and interesting features:

* New NetworkManager with connection sharing
* Improved printer handling
* Remote virtualization and easier virt storage
* Sectool, an auditing and security testing framework
* RPM 4.6, the first big RPM change in several years

... and more ...

* New version of PackageKit for managing software, with more fixes
and enhancements (which benefits all distributions)
* New version of PulseAudio (which benefits all distributions)
* Kernel 2.6.27, including better support for WiFi
* Better support for the EFI for Apple Macintosh hardware
* Faster graphical start-up by Plymouth, replacing the venerable
RHGB
* Better support for webcams through the hard work in kernel
2.6.27 (which benefits all distributions)
* New icon theme "Echo", to be completed with the theme graphic
"Solar" in the Fedora 10 release
* Gnome 2.24
* KDE 4.1
* Adding the NetBeans IDE
* Eclipse 3.4
* Automatic installation of multimedia codecs
* Better HDTV support in X.org
* "Sugar" graphical environment (from OLPC) available for use,
testing, and development

Meaning opensource codecs or a change of ideology, AKA ubuntu?

ryptyde
30th September 2008, 07:32 PM
Taken from F10b release notes

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2008-September/msg00016.html

Meaning opensource codecs or a change of ideology, AKA ubuntu?

I see nothing about Ubuntu mentioned there but have used the "adhoc" setup for connection sharing and don't know if any of the "buntu's offer that yet. :)

wvn
30th September 2008, 07:35 PM
I was actually referring to the occasional bashing of distros that offer multimedia codecs

sanjay_ankur
30th September 2008, 07:41 PM
hi,

it mentions automatic installations of codecs.. does that imply that the codecs will be given in the DVD (unlikely since properitory)? or that they have devised a method which installs them from the repos other than the yum way??

regards,

Ankur

wvn
30th September 2008, 08:03 PM
You mean proprietary codecs clickable install sanjay_ankur? No no no... that would be against the free as in beer concept. I dont think so...

glennzo
30th September 2008, 08:38 PM
I'm downloading the beta as we speak. Probably have it installed on my laptop within the next couple of hours so I'll see if I can verify that there are in fact media codecs available. To be continued ...

ryptyde
30th September 2008, 08:43 PM
I was actually referring to the occasional bashing of distros that offer multimedia codecs

That does raise a few questions but I'm not sure if it implies that Red Hat/Fedora has changed course on the matter. You can always add 3rd party repos or go to non open source providers and click away to get what you need/want as most people do anyway. They should have warnings like " Danger adding 3rd party Repos may be against the Free Open Source Software initiative and illegal depending on the Laws of the country you reside in so Click Responsibly" in the U.S. the above may be preceded with "The Scourgeon General has determined that it is a ......." "Pregnant women and residents of California are at higher risk blah blah blah! :D

All kidding aside I just finished d'loading the Live Beta and will see if there are multimedia codecs of the non-free kind there.

EDIT:

You're talking about something that has been available in Fedora 9 and has already been hashed over months ago and it is called "Codeina".
Here's what you will see if you try to play media of a dubious nature and need a codec.See attachments.