PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got NTFS Working yet?

NBZ
31st July 2004, 03:19 AM
My system always crashes when I try to mount NTFS partitions. I created a NTFS module rpm using the instructions on linux-ntfs.

Anyone get further?

Picomp314
31st July 2004, 03:37 AM
recompile a new kernel it will solve all the problems you have with the extremely bloated FC kernels

Jman
31st July 2004, 11:44 AM
For reference there is ntfs for the first 3 kernel (http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora3.html), although the maintainer won't have time to update it.

NBZ
1st August 2004, 11:07 PM
Just a separate question, but how do you remove a kernel that you have compiled? Just asking as originally (in FC2)I did this, but now I have a few kernels which I don't know how to remove.

ewdi
1st August 2004, 11:07 PM
do you mean from bootloader or from system?

mweil
2nd August 2004, 08:01 AM
To remove a Kernel enter: rpm -e kernel-2.6.6 (for instance, enter version number to remove). And after that delete the initrd image, located in /boot.

To remove a bootloader entry, go to /etc/grub.conf and delete the entries you don't want. New entries start with the text on the left end, they're not tabbed in.
EDIT: Supposed you have GRUB and not Lilo. :rolleyes:

You may need root rights to do this.

Hope this helps
mweil

Dragoran
11th August 2004, 05:15 PM
Arjan van de Ven has told me a simple way to compile the ntfsmodule (because of bug #129157):
On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 08:50:19AM +0200, dragoran wrote:

>>
>
>>> >It's still very much the wrong method, there are far far simpler ways to
>>> >compile modules that do NOT involve having the kernel-sourcecode rpm
>>> >installed. The NTFS modules should use that instead. Really.
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >
>
>> What are this simple ways?

copy the ntfs subdir, edit the Makefile to say

obj-m += ntfs.o
instead of
obj-$(CONFIG_NTFS_FS) += ntfs.o

and do

make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=$PWD modules
then just type cp ntfs.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/fs/ntfs

engwnbie
11th August 2004, 05:25 PM
Just a separate question, but how do you remove a kernel that you have compiled? Just asking as originally (in FC2)I did this, but now I have a few kernels which I don't know how to remove.

To remove a Kernel enter: rpm -e kernel-2.6.6 (for instance, enter version number to remove). And after that delete the initrd image, located in /boot.

To remove a bootloader entry, go to /etc/grub.conf and delete the entries you don't want. New entries start with the text on the left end, they're not tabbed in.
EDIT: Supposed you have GRUB and not Lilo.

You may need root rights to do this.

Hope this helps
mweil
eg: rpm -e kernel-2.6.6 takes care of bootloader at the same time.
Just do rpm -q kernel to find out intalled kernels and then rpm -e one at the time.

engwnbie
11th August 2004, 05:29 PM
Also take a look at this how to http://fedoranews.org/contributors/vitor_domingos/ntfs/ ntfs is built in.

digitalsuperman
4th September 2004, 01:01 PM
does this mean that you can mount ntfs partition as writable on Fedora??
wow...really?
must have fedora..

what version of the kernel that you can mount ntfs as writable?

imdeemvp
4th September 2004, 09:11 PM
you can not write to ntfs in you are in linux guys......just read mode!

Shadow Skill
24th September 2004, 01:23 AM
Yes you can mount ntfs read write with Fedora assuming you can get captive-ntfs to work....Personally I do not have the balls to risk corrupting my dump drive which serves as my entertainment drive. I'd die if I lost all of that. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and get the linux-ntfs read working. (Damn you Fedora developers give in and make ntfs read native, with optional read write. [captive-ntfs, with a possible modification.] )

superbnerd
24th September 2004, 01:33 AM
if you want to suggest features to the developers, you should file bug reports or join the developers mailing list. they will probab;y explain to you why they haven't enable it by default, but if enough people request that feature, they will have no choice but to give in as this is a community based/run distro.

Shadow Skill
24th September 2004, 03:35 AM
You're right..I'll do that.

Ainvar
24th September 2004, 09:14 PM
seems like a lot of work to get ntfs working in linux when it works in other distros. I am a n00b so I know what I say does not have a lot of knowledge to back it up.
But I know when I tried mandrake 9 and 10 it had ntfs support to where I could read (never tried to write) to my xp image on my laptop. But I like Fedora better and would love for it to work out of the box or have a nice simple way to get it to work without my fubaring both my xp and linux install to try and get it to work.