PDA

View Full Version : Linux Compatible Mp3 Players

jzke
29th July 2004, 09:17 PM
Or more accurately, Fedora Core 2 compatible digital music players - I'm not fond of this mp3 technology that is around ;) I was looking at the iPod mini, but I would be happy at any high capacity device, if it worked on Fedora. Anyone have some idea of which players are/are not compatible?

Varkk
30th July 2004, 01:05 AM
As far as I am aware the Neuros http://www.neurosaudio.com/ is linux compatible and so are the Iriver devices http://www.iriver.com/

jzke
30th July 2004, 01:54 PM
What program would I use to upload songs and how easy would it be compared to a windows device?

foolish
30th July 2004, 02:05 PM
Any player that can be mounted as a USB-drive (In reviews they call this beeing able to transfer songs without installing drivers in Windows XP) are linux compatible.

A lot of players can do this, find a couple of players you like, disregard the linux compabilty factor first, then read reviews of the players and figure out if they need some drivers or special program to transfer songs, if they do, most likely they aren't linux comaptible. There are exeptions of course, Apples Ipod and Creatives Nomad, both work under linux.

Jman
30th July 2004, 03:59 PM
I just got some generic "EZ MP3" player that doubles as a USB drive. It said it works on Linux, and it was. The manual even had a short mount howto for Linux. If you got one with a good return policy you probably could return it becuase it didn't work on your computer.

If you can mount it, any program can save to it. The simplest way would be the cp command. :)

jzke
30th July 2004, 09:38 PM
So, on Fedora, I could get an iPod mini and how would I mount it?/ transfer songs? Once I had mounted it I could just copy songs over... but it's crucial that it works under Linux. Sorry to be a pain ;)

i1n2d3y4
30th July 2004, 09:45 PM
on the same topic, is there an app for fedora that functions as close as possible to iTunes for managing mp3's

imdeemvp
30th July 2004, 09:55 PM
XMMS is the choice here but i prefer ZINF.... here: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1307&highlight=alternative+xmms

jzke
31st July 2004, 12:36 PM
Well, actually, Rhythmbox found at www.rhythmbox.org, is an almost exact clone of iTunes... it still has a few bugs, but I use it without real trouble. In fact, it would be cool if, once an mp3 player was mounted, you could use Rhythmbox to transfer songs :)

Varkk
31st July 2004, 01:14 PM
So, on Fedora, I could get an iPod mini and how would I mount it?/ transfer songs? Once I had mounted it I could just copy songs over... but it's crucial that it works under Linux. Sorry to be a pain ;)
You will need to hunt for the linux Ipod drivers I think the project is on sourceforge, but I'm not sure.

NeilO
1st August 2004, 08:09 AM
The I-Beads work using WAV.

Ug
1st August 2004, 09:20 AM
Any player that can be mounted as a USB-drive (In reviews they call this beeing able to transfer songs without installing drivers in Windows XP) are linux compatible. Yea thats right. Creative do some pretty good ones which are fully linux compatible. I've seen some 4gb ones, which you can just plug in via the USB and mount it as you would a pen drive.

Also the Rio Karma drive is an excellent iPod alternative, which is fully linux compatible. You connect it via your ethernet port and access it via a web interface. Very cool.

Optimistic
1st August 2004, 02:16 PM
My Archos Recorder works flawlessly. I've had nothing but positive experiences with it; definately worth a look. Boots up fast, can be used as an external hard drive, record from any audio source directly to mp3 (I've even recorded a few concerts with it directly from the soundboard after getting permission from the bands of course).

http://www.archos.com

jzke
1st August 2004, 08:36 PM
I live in Australia, and are away at the moment, so it has to be something that is fairly common. I think it's mainly the iPod mini i want, i wish i could get that working...

jojanson
17th November 2004, 02:27 PM
My USB SCSI emulation isn't working. It worked earlier. Then, I could mount my external MP3 player by using "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/mp3player". Now I get the message "mount: /dev/sda1 is not a correct block device".

When I search dmesg, I just find "SCSI subsystem initialized" but nothing else on SCSI.

Maybe it's due to that I did change the kernel to a 16Kb stack kernel (2.6.8-1.521.stk16) ...

What should I do to get it working again?

// Thankfully Jan-Olof Jansson

This is a part of my lsmod message:
"
sg 29281 0
scsi_mod 106001 1 sg
microcode 5857 0
dm_mod 47701 0
usblp 11201 0
uhci_hcd 28505 0
ehci_hcd 27973 0
"

cat /proc/scsi/scsi views following
"
Attached devices:
"

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices views following

T: Bus=04 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=12 MxCh= 2
B: Alloc= 0/900 us ( 0%), #Int= 0, #Iso= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 2.06
S: Manufacturer=Linux 2.6.8-1.521.stk16 uhci_hcd
S: Product=UHCI Host Controller
S: SerialNumber=0000:00:1d.2
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr= 0mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 2 Ivl=255ms

T: Bus=03 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=12 MxCh= 2
S: SerialNumber=0000:00:1d.1

T: Bus=03 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 1.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=03f0 ProdID=0604 Rev= 1.00
S: Manufacturer=Hewlett-Packard
S: Product=DeskJet 840C
S: SerialNumber=HU02H1S1W6KV
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr= 2mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=07(print) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=usblp
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
I: If#= 0 Alt= 1 #EPs= 2 Cls=07(print) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=usblp
E: Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms

T: Bus=02 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=12 MxCh= 2
S: SerialNumber=0000:00:1d.0

T: Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=480 MxCh= 6
B: Alloc= 0/800 us ( 0%), #Int= 0, #Iso= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=01 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
S: Manufacturer=Linux 2.6.8-1.521.stk16 ehci_hcd
S: Product=EHCI Host Controller
S: SerialNumber=0000:00:1d.7
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr= 0mA
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 2 Ivl=256ms

:confused: :confused:

megaprogman
17th November 2004, 03:31 PM
I have a creative nomad zen xtra, its a good device and it works with a package called gnomad (which has fedora 1 and 2 rpms) I just built a package for it last night using the source rpms and it works fine, except for one minor glitch, you have to run the program (gnomad) as root.

Gnomad.sourceforge.net

thies
18th November 2004, 09:19 AM
After yesterdays kernel and udev update my 4th generation ipod auto-mounts upon connection as /media/usbdisk without problems in FC3 and can be accessed with gtkpod. Seems that for now kernel recompiles arenít necessary anymore.

booger
1st December 2004, 04:05 PM
I've managed to switch my Brother/Sister-In-Law and his kids from Windows to Fedora Core2. My problem is that he plans to buy the kids MP3 players for Christmas. So my question is, which portable MP3 player (flash not hard drive((too expensive))) would be the easiest and most stable to use with FC2? I like the looks of Gnomad but it seems to only support the Nomad Jukebox series. Using the command line is not an option.

I don't want them switching back to Windows just because of an MP3 player! Help!

booger

kosmosik
1st December 2004, 05:16 PM
http://primates.ximian.com/~jimmac/blog/Cool_Gear/iAudio/

booger
1st December 2004, 05:41 PM
http://primates.ximian.com/~jimmac/blog/Cool_Gear/iAudio/

Very cool, but too expensive. Looking for something under $100.00 USD.

natrix
20th July 2005, 09:36 PM
Get them an iPod Mini. They are the best, and really $150 for 4gb isn't bad!

I use my iPod Mini with GTKPOD. I had to alter my udev rules to call it /dev/ipod every time. Then I modified /etc/fstab to mount it as /mnt/ipod. Then you have to edit sudoers so that non-root users can eject the ipod. and you also need to add the sudo command to gtkpod for eject/unmount of the ipod. It's pretty easy, but the info was scattered all over the place. If anyone wants, i'll write a complete how-to on the procedure. I've done the same for my laptop which runs Mepis (debian-based) and it worked like a charm. The most important thing is the udev rule so that gtkpod can find the ipod. otherwise it's a pain in the arse if you hotplug other devices, and the /dev/ entry changes every time. my computer kept mounting it as /media/name_of_my_ipod1/2/3, etc, which gtkpod found very confusing.

Oh, and make sure that you reboot with the ipod connected, otherwise it won't connect properly. Every time I reboot (which isn't very often, mind you) I have to hook up my ipod because even if I tel kuduu to keep the configuration it doesn't recognize my ipod when I plug it in.

ONE NOTE ON LINUX-BASED MP3 PLAYERS:

I used a samsung yepp mp3 player which runs linux. Every 10 or so times I copied files to it, I would end up with a cyclic-redundancy problem on the player & have to reformat which wasn't always easy. Seems it would somehow copy my .trash folder which would contain an infinite number of .trash folders - each with 1 or 2 deleted files in them. I never really figured out how to prevent this from happening because I returned it in favor of an iPod mini. I would recommend going with the iPod because they work great with GTKPOD. In fact my brother switched to FC3 from windows strictly because he liked the GTKPOD interface so much better than iTunes, which can be quite a pig, and requires quicktime!

jtang613
21st July 2005, 12:50 AM
On a related topic - how many portable players support the open-source OGG Vorbis format?
(in addition to mp3 and wmv)

Jason

marcos
3rd August 2005, 07:44 PM
On a related topic - how many portable players support the open-source OGG Vorbis format?
(in addition to mp3 and wmv)

Jason

I just know some Iriver models.

Firewing1
3rd August 2005, 08:33 PM
hey,
i've spend several days looking for the perfect brand before choosing one. Creative MuVo (flashdrives) and Zen (HDD players) are wonderful. The MuVo TX FM 512 MB is a great buy, 218$ at futureshop, and that including tax and a 3 year extended warrenty! NOTE: They (all MP3 players) are build very cheaply and break easily. I like the MuVo TX FM because it holds around 125 songs, if they're 4:30 min average at 128 KBs. It's great. It also acts as a storage device, so it can hold files, too. So, for 218$ dollars, this is what I got:

Creative MuVo TX FM 512 MB
FM Radio-enabled w/ Radio Recording
Microphone built-in
MP3 / WMA Music playback
Storage Device

And best of all, it works with Windows, Mac and Linux. Just plug in in, and all OS's recognize it as a Mass USB storage device. In mac windows and Linux you get a icon that you double click, and jsut drag-and-drop you files in and out. If you're friend likes you songs, just plug it in to his computer and drag them to his desktop, voila, all songs transfered!

Firewing1

kosmosik
3rd August 2005, 09:14 PM
Any player that can be mounted as a USB-drive (In reviews they call this beeing able to transfer songs without installing drivers in Windows XP) are linux compatible.
keep in mind that simply putting files on the device is not enough sometimes... lots of players use their own (crappy usually since they force you to use it also) software to upload tracks since it generates database for smart playlist on the fly...

Firewing1
3rd August 2005, 09:45 PM
Not the Creative ones, that's why i like them... Also, though, the MuVo players cannot display the artists on a ID3 tag. So you have to include the Artist in the Title part of the id3 tag to make it display the artist.
Firewing1

fpoole
3rd August 2005, 09:49 PM
Not the Creative ones, that's why i like them... Also, though, the MuVo players cannot display the artists on a ID3 tag. So you have to include the Artist in the Title part of the id3 tag to make it display the artist.
Firewing1

Who programmed that?!

I have a Cowon iAUDIO CW250, but I haven't found any Linux stuff for it. I guess it's just as well that I kept my XP install. ;)

iamroot
4th August 2005, 03:23 AM
As far as I know, all flash-based players work with GNU/Linux.

fpoole
4th August 2005, 04:47 AM
As far as I know, all flash-based players work with GNU/Linux.

Well, I could certainly use a little help getting this thing working, then. ;)

iamroot
4th August 2005, 05:21 AM
Well, I could certainly use a little help getting this thing working, then. ;)

Which player are you using? Flash-based?

fpoole
4th August 2005, 05:50 AM
Which player are you using? Flash-based?

Cowon iAUDIO CW200 (http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/cw200/). 256mb Flash memory. USB Mini B-to-USB A cable.

Firewing1
4th August 2005, 06:14 PM
Hey,
if it's flash, then try this: (Open a terminal, and do su - first to get root)
1) Plug in your device to a USB port. Wait 5 seconds.
2) Type dmesg into the terminal. look at the last few lines. See if your device is being recognized.
3a) If it is, it should give you some info as to what it is... something like sda1 or sdb2. Then, type fdisk -l /dev/sdX where X is the drive letter that dmesg showed you. Post us the result of the fdisk.
3b) if there's no sign of it being recognized, then post to us the last 30 lines or so if the dmesg.

Once you post that info it should be simple to get it working, just adding the entry to /etc/fstab...
Firewing1

fpoole
4th August 2005, 07:18 PM
Found hide nor hair of it except the last line...
warning: many lost ticks.
Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging interupts
rip 0x649838
mtrr: no more MTRRs available
ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
ISOFS: changing to secondary root
usb 2-8: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3

Firewing1
5th August 2005, 10:20 PM
It seems that your device is recognized, but not being mounted or given any drive numbers. is it formatted properly? (It needs to be FAT or FAT32 to work properly in Linuix,....)
Firewing1

Sangli Photos - Amman Photos - Chennai -