PDA

View Full Version : updates?

crainey69
26th August 2008, 03:07 AM
Hello,

I'm running F10 Alpha both as a VMare virtual machine in F9 and also able to triple boot into a separate install. Neither has received any updates since the whole infrastructure issue (over a week). Have there not been any updates? It appears to check the rawhide repo.

I have both installs pretty stripped down to base system.

Thanks

Cory

forkbomb
26th August 2008, 04:01 AM
Hello,

I'm running F10 Alpha both as a VMare virtual machine in F9 and also able to triple boot into a separate install. Neither has received any updates since the whole infrastructure issue (over a week). Have there not been any updates? It appears to check the rawhide repo.

I have both installs pretty stripped down to base system.

Thanks

Cory
Well, I don't know about 10 or 9, but I haven't had many updates at all on F8 since the infrastructure issues.

Seve
26th August 2008, 04:07 AM
Hello:
I haven't seen any updates for Alpha/Rawhide since August 12.

Seve

crainey69
26th August 2008, 04:10 AM
Thanks Seve,

I was used to almost daily updates before the infrastructure thing and as far as I know none since. I thought maybe was something wrong here.

mcl
26th August 2008, 04:11 AM
I haven't seen updates to F9 or F10a for weeks.
Also, the Red Hat main site appears to be down at the moment.

yikeouch
26th August 2008, 04:11 AM
Will Fedora 10 be on time in this situation?

Seve
26th August 2008, 04:23 AM
Hello:
Who knows ? :)

You can follow the Release Schedule here
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Schedule

Seve

forkbomb
26th August 2008, 04:23 AM
For some reason, I doubt it...

Taking a hard look at their infrastructure security situation and re-implementing certain stuff has no doubt put a crimp in development. If there haven't been updates since August 12... that could be an indication that things might be a bit late unless they start making up time. And making up time can often lead to shoddy releases...

I'd rather Fedora 10 be late and well-made rather than half-assed and on time.

scottro
26th August 2008, 05:00 AM
That sounds about right--I haven't had any updates since then either. Also, apparently something's a bit off with my F9 install. Though there are updates, some packages that have always existed are missing, such as scim-anthy, a Japanese input program. At this point, I figure they're still putting things back together. I wouldn't worry yet--nor would I expect F10 to be on time either.

crainey69
26th August 2008, 05:09 AM
Seems like I got a few F9 updates a few days ago..it's all a blur. I manage a CentOS 5.2 server at work along with 6 XP machines, I have F9, F10, XP triple booting here and F9, F10, XP, Ubuntu, CentOS 5.2 set up as virtual machines in F9 here. Plus I handle all of our customer's IT problems at work regarding their networks and specifically network Ricoh/Savin MFP's.

It all runs together after a while.

crainey69
26th August 2008, 05:19 AM
Kinda sad at work, just had to mention this. We're a business machine company that also sells office supplies.

I'm IT manager for the company, IT Support for our customers, computer tech, copier/printer tech. I've only been working on copiers and printers for 2 years but I've gotten to the point where I can handle most any call. So, I do pretty much 50% of all copier/printer service calls, all of our deliveries, all of our IT related calls and setups, and keep the network and computers up at work and yet I make way less than the guy that's been there 10 years. Ok he's been there a long time but, wow.

Ok, I'm done venting and feel better now. Just sometimes get frustrated while he surfs the web from his desk and I"m running in circles. Don't complain because I was hired to be a copier tech with no training or experience.

Demz
26th August 2008, 08:10 AM
Fedora has always been a week or 2 late prior to its schedule, but i'd prefer it be late than rocky

Wayne
26th August 2008, 08:17 AM
There's been a whole bunch of stuff in updates-testing since before the infrastructure problem. It might take them a while to sort it out and move stable stuff into updates.

Wayne

billythekid
28th August 2008, 08:02 PM
crainey69,

i was wondering the same thing as you. i was just hit with a lot of packages. thats the good news. the bad news is that something is funky with the xserver, with the bootloader Plymouth, or something. Can't boot into my machine even using init level3. I'm on a rescue CD right now.

my guess is that its an xserver issue that wil;l be resolved in a fw days. i thimk you are smarter than me by using rawhide on a virtual setup. i'm running off a livecd right now...

btk

crainey69
29th August 2008, 04:01 AM
crainey69,

i was wondering the same thing as you. i was just hit with a lot of packages. thats the good news. the bad news is that something is funky with the xserver, with the bootloader Plymouth, or something. Can't boot into my machine even using init level3. I'm on a rescue CD right now.

my guess is that its an xserver issue that wil;l be resolved in a fw days. i thimk you are smarter than me by using rawhide on a virtual setup. i'm running off a livecd right now...

btk

Got some updates tonight and they installed fine in VMWare from F9. I rebooted into my actual Alpha install and yum had depsolve issues. Could be that the mirrors didn't have all of the correct info yet. Not too worried about it.

Hadn't checked updates-testing for F9 since this started but, there are a bunch there just not moved to stable yet.

There was some information about rawhide in the testing mail list today and listed a whole bunch of updates. So, appears the developers are back to developing instead of fixing and updating.

Edit: Well, I just restarted the Alpha Virtual Machine and a whole bunch of new updates appeared, Let's see if that breaks it. Down side, when the Virtual fails to boot, I haven't been able to ever get it to boot from CD so I"ve just had to start over.

crainey69
29th August 2008, 04:16 AM
ok the update just failed because of a dependency on /usr/bin/mailx same as my actual Alpha install.

edit: excluded redhat-lsb from upate let's see what happens

scottro
29th August 2008, 05:17 AM
Yeah, I just removed whatever it was that required it. redhat-lgb or whatever it was.

Sad to say, the update didn't bring me what others seem to have--when I hit escape, I still see nothing until it gets to the interactive menu. It also muted my sound somehow. Sometimes, I wonder why I use rawhide.

crainey69
29th August 2008, 05:26 AM
ok well, the attempted update still isn't done and I have to get to bed so we'll see. Plymouth never has worked right for me. I have just dealt with that.

scottro
29th August 2008, 05:34 AM
Me too. :) Have a good rest.

Demz
29th August 2008, 05:49 AM
im still waiting for Pidgin 2.5.0 to hit the updates repo which i hope they push that in next week if not tomorrow

vallimar
29th August 2008, 07:02 PM
If you don't want to wait, take it straight from koji -- I've been running with it for near a week now.
I don't like the new flashing systray icon, but otherwise it's the same as far as my usage goes.

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=3460

vallimar
29th August 2008, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I just removed whatever it was that required it. redhat-lgb or whatever it was.

Sad to say, the update didn't bring me what others seem to have--when I hit escape, I still see nothing until it gets to the interactive menu. It also muted my sound somehow. Sometimes, I wonder why I use rawhide.

Think optimistically and pragmatically--rawhide is only slightly more broken then
regular Fedora is these days.

vallimar
29th August 2008, 07:12 PM
ok the update just failed because of a dependency on /usr/bin/mailx same as my actual Alpha install.

edit: excluded redhat-lsb from upate let's see what happensThe redhat-lsb package is fixed now by requiring the mailx package instead. The binary was moved
from /usr/bin to just /bin in the mailx package to remove the symlink in the lsb package.

kevmif
30th August 2008, 03:48 PM
im still waiting for Pidgin 2.5.0 to hit the updates repo which i hope they push that in next week if not tomorrow

I was a bit weary about compiling it from source, but it really does work quite well with a minimum of fuss. Give it a go :)

BTW - pidgin has historically sucked for MSN. But I guess if you really do need multi protocol support its your only option. Otherwise try aMSN - just be sure to use the svn version.

Demz
31st August 2008, 02:33 AM
I was a bit weary about compiling it from source, but it really does work quite well with a minimum of fuss. Give it a go :)

BTW - pidgin has historically sucked for MSN. But I guess if you really do need multi protocol support its your only option. Otherwise try aMSN - just be sure to use the svn version.
think i''ll install Pidgin 2.5.0 from Koji

kevmif
31st August 2008, 03:09 AM
think i''ll install Pidgin 2.5.0 from Koji

Even better then :)

Yeah there are a few things I might grab from koji also.

crainey69
31st August 2008, 04:06 PM
Well, the Rawhide updates are flowing freely again and all is good. I figured out how to get around the possibility of an updating breaking my VM. I just take a snapshot before updates and revert if something is broken.

scottro
31st August 2008, 07:33 PM
Smart move. My problem is that Fedora is the host, so it's more likely to break VirtualBox. :)

Al Wasitah Travel Photos - Florin - Nirgua