PDA

View Full Version : FC8 Randomly Reboots Itself

avrohomg
20th July 2008, 10:56 PM
Hello,

I have a Dell Dual Core Server Running Fedora Core 8 2.6.25.6-27.fc8

This machine is a Samba Server as well as a VMware server to a Windows2003 server guest OS and another development machine. I recently experienced two disappointing events with this machine. The first time, about 3 weeks ago, the system just hung. It didn't respond to pings or anything. The guest OSs were also dead.

The second event happened last night, when the host just rebooted itself for no apparent reason. I checked /var/log/messages, and there was nothing in there to indicate the system went down. It's like someone pulled the plug. Only, in this case, the server is on a UPS. There are other devices attached to the same UPS and they did not go down.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

JohnVV
21st July 2008, 01:32 AM
other than look at the logs ??
maybe Windows2003 server crashed and took VMware then fedora with it ?

WIld Wolverine
21st July 2008, 01:42 AM
Hello,

I have a Dell Dual Core Server Running Fedora Core 8 2.6.25.6-27.fc8

This machine is a Samba Server as well as a VMware server to a Windows2003 server guest OS and another development machine. I recently experienced two disappointing events with this machine. The first time, about 3 weeks ago, the system just hung. It didn't respond to pings or anything. The guest OSs were also dead.

The second event happened last night, when the host just rebooted itself for no apparent reason. I checked /var/log/messages, and there was nothing in there to indicate the system went down. It's like someone pulled the plug. Only, in this case, the server is on a UPS. There are other devices attached to the same UPS and they did not go down.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi,
Just a stab in the dark here, but it sounds like a hardware problem to me.
Possibly bad ram, or a malfunctioning power supply. Both can cause the problems that you are describing.
You may also want to as test, unplug the shared devices on the UPS and see if that makes a difference. It is possible that you could be overloading your UPS, causing a temporary or intermittent under voltage, "sag" to your server, which would cause a reboot.
Hope this helps.

Tekno_Cowboy
22nd July 2008, 09:31 AM
I also think that it sounds like a hardware problem. Try running memtest and take a look at what kind of voltages your PSU is putting out. The main ones are generally listed in BIOS. The UPS suggestion sounds like a possibility also. You might be able to borrow a tester from your power company to see how much power is being drawn at the outlet.

Tbeng Meanchey Photos on Instagram - Kuala Pilah Travel Photos on Instagram - Dorchester Travel Photos on Instagram