PDA

View Full Version : Newsforge Article

Ug
20th July 2004, 05:14 AM
My first newsforge article has been published entitled "Why Mono is Significant". Please go and read it - and give me some feeback on it.

You can read it here (http://software.newsforge.com/software/04/07/15/2359201.shtml?tid=27).

sailor
20th July 2004, 07:26 AM
nice article Ug, very well written...the comments from others was kinda disappointing...windows users typically missing the point...oh well someday they will learn

Optimistic
20th July 2004, 08:37 AM
Nice article. Clear and to the point.

I'm not sure what kind of reader NewsForge is catering to, if they cater to the reader who knows a fair deal about the current state of software languages and their relationship to different platforms, then your article is right on the money. If they also wish to cater to a broader base and include those who no less about this issue (or others like it), then a few words of background might be helpful. These background notes could be accomplished in the way of footnotes so that they don't clutter your already focused writing style (this is of course contingent upon NewsForge's style commitments).

Very nice. I Iook forward to reading more of your stuff.

Ug
20th July 2004, 12:47 PM
That's alright then. ;)

crackers
20th July 2004, 04:24 PM
The patent encumbrance (and possible licensing fees) is why I feel that Mono is not quite the right way to go. I sincerely doubt that Microsoft will have the best interests of the non-Windows developer community at heart and they're gonna "pull a fast one," probably with Longhorn. While I do appreciate the effort that's been put into this project, and the upcoming Forms, I have this gut feeling - and it's not failed me.

One thing that folks looking at Mono seem to forget is that Java was/is pretty durn close to platform-agnositic. The usual cry is that it's controlled by a single business: Sun. I fail to see how that's different from patent-encumbered "standards" - you can get the rug yanked on you at any time. At least with Sun/Java, you know that this possibility exists - eyes wide open. With C#, it'll be sneaky, and can bite you right when you're not looking.

Sheoganj Travel Photos - Coin Photos on Instagram - Commack