PDA

View Full Version : Restoring GRUB

gaaurav_singh
7th July 2008, 06:15 AM
Hi,

I am using dual boot in my laptop. Windows and Fedora 8.
Now i want to reinstall windows vista but i am not sure that what will happen to the grub then i guess windows MBR will over rite Linux GRUB and windows is so cheap that it can't even provide option for dual boot....

So please help me on this ... How can i rescue my Fedora after windows installation....

Thanks in advance..

Cheers!

Gaurav Singh

bob
7th July 2008, 12:12 PM
(Moved to Installation Help)

This is a very common question and by now you've probably searched the Forum and found the answer. However, here's the instructions I always post. After reinstalling Windows:

1. Boot off the 1st Fedora CD or use the Fedora Rescue CD
2. At the boot prompt type 'linux rescue'
3. The rescue mode will find the fedora installation
4. Type 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' (without quotes)
5. Type 'grub-install /dev/sda' (to install Grub to the MBR of the 1st HD)
6. Restart and you should get the boot menu

gaaurav_singh
7th July 2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks bob,

Actually i am new to linux and still trying to learn basics of linux......
I am bored with windows and want to switch to linux and open source community...

Thanks once again...

Cheers!
Gaurav Singh

bob
7th July 2008, 12:39 PM
No problem at all and good luck with your efforts. We all started just like that. Suggestion for future problems might be to go to the Forums link above and read through the 'Read This First' Forum, which will give you a lot of information and make searching much, much easier.

Again, good luck & don't be afraid to post again if things seem a bit strange or troubling.

Farshut Travel Photos on Instagram - Manzil Bu Zalafah Photos on Instagram - San Jose Iturbide Travel Photos on Instagram