PDA

View Full Version : installation issue

jeffryK
17th June 2008, 02:25 PM
dear friends, I'm very new in Linux. I already bought the book titled "Fedora 2008 unleashed". The book comes with Fedora 8 DVD. When I want to install using that DVD, the installation proccess is frozen when I chose "Install or upgrading the existing system". What should I do? when I used fedora 9 live CD, it ran perfectly.

Do I have to install through live CD? If I do that, what else that I need to install it correctly? Do I need all the 6 Fedora CD's (I prefer CD's than DVD)? I will install it to my laptop.

Please help me with this issue, I already spent my money to buy the book. I really want to learn Fedora.

thanks

Jeffry Kristianto Yanuar

hyperspace
17th June 2008, 02:28 PM
If you have access to the internet, you may want to see if there is a Fedora 8 LiveCD and try it.

jeffryK
17th June 2008, 02:32 PM
I already try fedora 9 live CD. is it necessary to try the fedora 8 live CD too?

hyperspace
17th June 2008, 02:34 PM
I already try fedora 9 live CD. is it necessary to try the fedora 8 live CD too?It wouldn't hurt it try. If it works, then your book is more inline with your system.

jeffryK
17th June 2008, 02:40 PM
can you give the address for downloading fedora 8 live CD? I cannot use bit torrent. Are there any big differences between fedora 8 and 9 ?

hyperspace
17th June 2008, 02:59 PM
Here is the list of Fedora 8 mirrors.

http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/8/i386/

Be aware that not all sites may have the Fedora 8 Live CD. And depending on the traffic across the WEB, some will be slow and others will be fast. I live in the US and sometimes (depending on the time of day) my fastest downloads come from German sites. Your mileage may vary.

Here is a link to a US site (Nebraska) as an example.

http://mirror.unl.edu/fedora/linux/releases/8/Live/i686/

jeffryK
17th June 2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks. now I'm downloading the live CD and I'll use the book's DVD to install.

Thanks for your help. If I have a trouble with the installation, I'll post in this topic again. See you!!!