PDA

View Full Version : Windowmanager for old Laptop

Optimistic
15th July 2004, 07:00 AM
Hey gang,

I just bought an old laptop on ebay and I was wondering which windowmanager uses the least amount of memory and runs the fastest on older machines. KDE ? Gnome? Fluxbox?

Related question: Is Fedora the best chioce for this machine? I was thinking about putting Debian on it because I read that Debian goes on this machine very smoothly (almost like they were made for each other).

Here are the Laptop's specs:
300MHz PII
128 MB RAM
6.4 GB Harddrive

Basically, I just wanted it for text-based stuff.

ghaefb
15th July 2004, 07:42 AM
Your laptop should run fine with FedoraCore1, Fluxbox and some tweaks like turning off services, cleaning up cron jobs,....
I'm not sure about other distros, but Fedora is no the fastest one for older computers, that's true.

Optimistic
15th July 2004, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the tip.

kosmosik
15th July 2004, 08:09 AM
only WindowMaker! ;]
http://www.e.kliper.eu.org/?mode=photoez&dir=screenshots&file=bla.jpeg

micha
15th July 2004, 10:57 AM
No, only XFce :)

Arthur
18th July 2004, 10:36 PM
I put XFCE on my girlfriends laptop (Pentium 500Mhz, 128Mb ram), works very well.
Dead easy to install (rpm's come with FC2). Incredible fast, where as Gnome would take a good 30 secs to login, XFce is almost instant. Only downside is you have to fill out all the menu's yourself with the apps you use. Should only take you an hour or so.

Also swapped GDM for XDM

kosmosik
19th July 2004, 12:09 AM
Only downside is you have to fill out all the menu's yourself with the apps you use. Should only take you an hour or so.
you can use a script for menu generation - check sourceforge or freshmeat for that. there is plenty of them. one is (AFAIR) menumaker and is fine. just add this to system startup script and make it to generate system menu for XFCE every startup...

BTW freedesktop.org standards compilant menu system for XFCE is coming. it is part of todo list for 4.2 release.

deuch
19th July 2004, 01:01 AM
xfce is a good choice with 128Mb of RAM. You have to add roxfiler to have a good file explorer and it's ok

deuch

Arthur
19th July 2004, 07:31 AM
You have to add roxfiler to have a good file explorer and it's ok

Agreed. Wasn't that taken with the xffm (XFCE's filemanager), much prefer the ROX one. Did give the ROX desktop a go too, again wasn't that taken with it. Still thought XFCE was a weeny bit snappier that the ROX desktop too.

Still not sure what to make of ROX's Zero Install stance. Seems to work ok, bit of a bummer though if nothing works, cause you've just upgraded your kernel and recompiled the lazyfs module yet.

Optimistic
19th July 2004, 09:22 AM
Cool. Thanks for all the tips. I'll check out XFce. I've been messing around with Fluxbox on my desktop and I like it just fine. Coding the menus is pretty simple and I like how fast it is in comparisson to KDE and Gnome. If KFce is even faster and has the same types of options I'll probably go with that on the old Laptop.

Thanks again!

robopera
27th July 2004, 11:38 AM
I submit Windowmaker as the finest lightweight WM out there. Nothing beats it. Fluxbox/Blackbox is too barren, while XFCE is just a better CDE. Nothing wrong with any of the above, but if you want a WM that is fun to run, easy on the computer, and is extensible, get Windowmaker. Nothing beats it.