PDA

View Full Version : Musicians tools, and more...

P-J
14th July 2004, 10:54 AM
Hi all!

I was just wondering if anyone could help me out-- I'm looking for some multitracking software (with effects) for Linux. I used to use n-Track Studio (www.fasoft.com) on Windoze, and just wondered if there was a similar (commercial or free) app for Linux? I've looked at 'Protux' but just wanted to keep my options open :D

On that subject, are there any good download.com style download sites for Linux software? I've used Tucows but I really hate that site, especially the sponsored links crap and browsing the Fedora repositories can lead to arbitrary assumptions about what xxxxx.1.0.rpm could be.

Any answers much appreciated :)

MWB
14th July 2004, 11:05 AM
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

Planet CCRMA (CCRMA is pronounced ``karma'') at Home is a collection of rpms (RPM stands for RedHat Package Manager) that you can add to a computer running RedHat 7.3, 8.0, 9 or Fedora Core 1 to transform it into an audio workstation with a low-latency kernel, current ALSA audio drivers and a nice set of music, midi, audio and video applications. It replicates most of the Linux environment we have been using for years here at CCRMA for our daily work in audio and computer music production and research. Planet CCRMA is easy to install and maintain, it can be installed and upgraded over the network from the Planet CCRMA apt repository or its mirrors, or from cdroms you can download from this site......

Bana
14th July 2004, 12:34 PM
The Best Multitracking software for linux is probably Ardour, I could be mistaken, but that is probably what you want. And make sure to use Jack as well.

P-J
14th July 2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'll check 'em out :)

David
15th July 2004, 01:39 AM
Ardour is said to be very good. It pitches itself against Pro Tools so it had better be! :p I haven't used it myself but I have used Audacity (which you can get from sourceforge.net) and that's proved to be a useful app. You can multitrack with that as well and it comes with a load of processors/effects.

shtik
15th July 2004, 03:17 AM
ardour is fine, but you will have to use a patched kernel with realtime support, so download one from planet ccrma or build it yourself, unfortunatly a core 2 kernel is by now not fully supported (they call it "alpha" or so), but i'm sure they will do great work with this one time!

Penza - Bouake Photos - Honduras Instagram Photos -