PDA

View Full Version : Firewire support in the near future?

claisen
14th July 2004, 10:23 AM
I was just wondering if the (admittedly numerous) bugs in firewire/1394 support were planned to be ironed out anytime in the near future.

It'd be great if firewire was planned for FC3... ;)

foolish
14th July 2004, 10:34 AM
There is firewire support in the latest kernel. I hear it's rather poor, but it's there. I'm sure that as the kernel matures and drivers are written, firewire will get better. Red Hat has an amazing kernel team, and firewire is a big thing. I haven't heard anything specific, but I'm sure we'll get good firewire support, but I think it's more likely to happen at the same time or after Core 3 than before.

taylor65
14th July 2004, 01:06 PM
I've been using firewire on FC2 with no problems at all. I also used it on FC1 with no problems. The only issue is that it's not turned on by default. To turn it on, just add the following to /etc/rc.local:

/sbin/modprobe raw1394
/sbin/modprobe ohci1394
/sbin/modprobe video1394

CptanPanic
16th July 2004, 08:43 AM
I just installed FC2, and I don't have those modules installed. Do I need another package?

taylor65
16th July 2004, 09:47 AM
Did you add the lines to /etc/rc.local? Did you install everything from the CDs? Does typing in 'modprobe raw1394' as root give an error?

CptanPanic
16th July 2004, 10:08 AM
I upgraded the kernel, and now the modules are there.

Muar Photos - Mandeville Travel Photos on Instagram - Saint Barthelemy Travel Photos