PDA

View Full Version : Setup a Mail Server?

pureFlamez
13th July 2004, 12:20 PM
I recently bought a domain from godaddy.com and I'm running FC2 on it. I only have email forwarding because I didn't add anything extra to my domain. I contacted godaddy.com and they said if I setup my own mail server, then I can actually receive my mail at pureFlamez@pureflamez.com instead of getting it forwarded to another account (pureflamez@gmail.com) .. If anyone can help me setup a mail server, I'd REALLY appreciate it..

ALSO -- I went to add/remove applications and tried to install software.. It asks for FC2 cd's? I installed FC2 via FTP, can I make it download software and install instead of asking for FC2 cd's?

pureFlamez
13th July 2004, 12:21 PM
This is my very first experience with linux and I'm a newbie, so if anyone replies then please add some details to what you're saying.. Thanks

Thoreau
14th July 2004, 03:42 AM
Try asking this in another part, this is not really for asking questions, so much as posting how-to's...eg how to steup a mail sever, not how do you set up a mail server

Not too jerky i hope

Jman
15th July 2004, 04:18 PM
Moved to Servers forum.

crackers
15th July 2004, 05:59 PM
Try eXtremail ('http://extremail.com/') - it's durn easy to set up and, by default, disallows relaying. The documentation is pretty durn clear and easy to read, as well. I had one up and running in less than 10 minutes - and it comes in RPM format, to boot...

bubazoo
15th October 2004, 08:22 AM
The only thing you have to keep in mind when installing a mail server,
make sure port 25 is not blocked, most ISP's block port 25.
without port 25 open, your server will not be able to send/recieve mail.

I found this out reciently myself when trying to install a mail server in Fedora.

you can find out if your ISP is blocking port 25, by telnetting or sshing into your server,
try to telnet into port 25, if you get a user prompt, your cool,
if you don't, then your ISP is blocking port 25.

gablaxian
15th October 2004, 10:52 AM
Try eXtremail ('http://extremail.com/') - it's durn easy to set up and, by default, disallows relaying. The documentation is pretty durn clear and easy to read, as well. I had one up and running in less than 10 minutes - and it comes in RPM format, to boot...

You say that by default it disallows relaying, which is something I need for my mail server, can it be easily changed to relay mail?

If so, i'm instantly making the change from sendmail. I'm beginning to get annoyed at not begin able to route outgoing mail through my sendmail to an external 'smart host' (obviously through my own lack of skills with mail servers...).

senderap
15th October 2004, 01:25 PM
www.qmailrocks.org

Very good step by step tutorial.

wolfie85032
15th October 2004, 08:41 PM
I'll second the qmailrocks.org. Can be a bit techie is you are new to Linux but if you have the time and desire, you will end up with one heck of a mail install.

crackers
16th October 2004, 03:16 AM
You say that by default it disallows relaying, which is something I need for my mail server, can it be easily changed to relay mail?
Quite easily - you just have to specify what "local" IPs it can relay from. Here's the line from my eXtremail.conf:

LocalIP = 192.168.1.0/25
ExternalIP = 127.0.0.1

That last one is the one that really makes sure that nobody else is using the mail server to send spam.

gablaxian
26th October 2004, 03:05 PM
I've finally gotten round to setting up eXtremail to my server, and it now allows me to send mail from one computer on my network through the server, to a smart host, which is good. Problem is I really need this server to retrieve mail from our external mail server and allow people to access them within the network.

Ive tried using fetchmail, but it keeps giving me errors along the lines of:

fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<graham@localhost>
fetchmail: SMTP< 451 Local error in processing
fetchmail: SMTP error: 451 Local error in processing

Maybe this is just due to badly configuring extremail, but is there anyway of getting extremail to retrieve the mail instead?

crackers
27th October 2004, 03:59 AM
You can, presumably, set up forwarding on the external account. If that's not an option, I don't believe there's any way to make any mail server "fetch." Most servers are passive in that regard: they only receive.

gablaxian
28th October 2004, 03:10 PM
I finally got fetchmail and extremail to play nice. Now I have the problem of using an AntiVirus program with it.

I would like to use Clamav, but after some research, there is a middleware program called eXniper that allows extremail to work with a commercial AV package called Sophos, which isn't helpful.

Anyone have any clues how to set it up to use Clamav?

Karlivka Instagram Photos - Lessines Instagram Photos - La Peca Photos