PDA

View Full Version : FC2 On an OldWorld Mac

DanM
12th July 2004, 03:14 PM
Hi All,

Well, just a couple of days ago I managed to shoehorn FC2 and all its Gnome 2.6 goodness onto a circa-1997 PowerMac 8600. I haven't even tried the "Official" kernel RPM at this point -- Not expecting it to work and no big deal to roll your own.

I did a minimal install of YDL3 (only needed the 1st ISO). Edit yum.conf to point at fedora.linux.duke.edu/fedorappc and wget the glibc and glibc-common RPMs. Removed hfsutils and a couple of YDL specific-packages (with --nodeps if necessary) and upgraded glibc and glibc-common. yum update handles the rest.

Handy to know if all you have laying around is a YDL iso and a 'net connection ;)

Cheers!
D.

crackers
12th July 2004, 03:37 PM
Jeez - I nominate this for "Hack of The Year." :eek:

carbo18
12th July 2004, 05:54 PM
Dan the man. Awesome hack! :D

LackeyLad
26th July 2004, 03:00 PM
that is an awsome post!

im still not using my g3 300. i want linux on it so bad, but i lack a OSanything boot disc. I have a copy of YDL but i cant get the computer to boot off them either.

as far as this goes, i have said this before.. and never gotten farther than here.

HELP~@!

amazoneveryday
26th July 2004, 09:33 PM
I managed to get YDL on a Bondi iMac long ago... there's gotta be a way to get it on a Blue G3.

It was blue, right? If the YDL ISO's are burnt properly, stick them in there and hold down the 'C' key as it turns on. I think I remember vaguely holding it down then letting it go then holding it down again over and over because I wasn't paying attention to when the keyboard led's blunk meaning that the iMac recognized the keyboard.

I don't know so much about the old-world powermacs. I'm going to find out very soon, however, as I try to get MkLinux onto a very oldschool PowerMac 6100/60.

I'm sure I'll be in pain once the cdrom drive arrives tomorrow.

DanM
5th August 2004, 05:00 PM
As a general rule -- If it's beige it's an OldWorld Mac. If it's not beige, such as the RevA iMac or original Blue-and-White G3 and newer, it's a NewWorld Mac, so CD-Booting should not be a problem.

Just remember to use 74 minute CD's, not 80min, and check your MD5sums to make sure you've got a good burn.

D.

plbowler
12th October 2004, 02:40 PM
don't bother with that, "Old World" Macs will NOT boot from the CD Drive with out a MacOS CD in there, part of the bot file is on the CD.

That said, you can Buy (Download actually) OS9 for about $40, and the iso is only 250Meg I think (hte basic install is only 315 Meg

also Apple has released os 7x for free, I'm not sure if that'll run BootX or not

Tanathka
8th August 2005, 12:32 AM
What about Fedora Core 4 on an 9600, are you implying its doable? cause I have YDL3 working fine on it. I'd just like to have FC4.

Any chance of a more complete blow by blow description of your hack to get this working?

Chelak - Shahpur Photos on Instagram - Vandavasi Photos on Instagram