PDA

View Full Version : Installation Help

dj33426
12th May 2008, 04:32 PM
I'm trying to install a software name Remote Control on to fedora 8 but it won't work. I'm new to linux and I got instruction on how to install, but it won't work. Now I downloaded it to /home/DJ/Download and the folder is crclinux.tar.gz and there is a install file there. When I tried to install it by double clicking on it nothing happens. I have the instruction please see the install instructions below:-

Open a terminal window.
Change the working directory to the one containing the downloaded installer archive, e.g.: cd Desktop
Expand the archive: tar zxvf nsmclient-installer.tar.gz
Change the working directory to the installer directory: cd nsm_install
Run the installer script: sudo ./install (do not click install this is not windows)

I'm lost trying to changing the directory part, I'm getting file or directory not found.

dj33426
12th May 2008, 04:43 PM
Here are some more instructions to the software I'm trying to install.

Installation
A CrossTec Client can be installed on Linux platforms, designed to run on a Windows manager,
enabling a Control to connect, view the screen of the remote user and perform a variety of remote
control tasks:
1. Download to a directory on the Linux machine.
2. Extract the TAR BALL. A sub-directory called Install will be created.
3. Point to the directory and run the installation. (As a Root User)
4. The CrossTec Client will install to /usr/ctc, providing a Linux daemon.
5. At the CrossTec Control connect to the Client in the usual manner.

ppesci
12th May 2008, 05:10 PM
When you ran :

tar zxvf nsmclient-installer.tar.gz

If you do not get an error, some directory has bee created. Use the command:

ls -la

To see if there are some directory with a realetd nsm_install name.

HTH

dj33426
12th May 2008, 05:50 PM
No there isn't any nsm_install when I ran that command. One thing I would like to add, I didn't install anything. That my problem, I don't know how to. Maybe if someone can walk me step by step on how to install this software?

ppesci
12th May 2008, 06:51 PM
Well, if you are new to linux, use the GUI and right click the icon. An option to extract must to appear.

In KDE, double click shows you what files are inside of the tar.gz fle.

When you execute the command:

tar zxvf nsmclient-installer.tar.gz

what is the output you get?

HTH

dj33426
12th May 2008, 07:23 PM
When I open the tar.gz.file there is a install folder. With the option to Extract available. Now when I open the install folder, I have a clientdaemon, a ctc.tar.gz, a install, and a VERSION file. What do I do next?

ppesci
12th May 2008, 07:29 PM
If you are using KDE, drag the folder to desktop as example. You will get the content uncompressed in your desktop.

Then in terminal, you can go to that directory (folder), and run the install program.

I think you must to change the rights of the install program. When you in the folder, type the command.

chkmod u+x install

and then, you can run the install as root user as instruction daid.

./install

HTH

dj33426
12th May 2008, 08:47 PM
I drag the folder install to the desktop. You mention go to that diretory, how do I do that? I type in install in the terminal service nothing work. Tried cd /install nothing works. Remember I'm new with comes to Linux, its not like windows when you want to just go to that directory you just point it there. But back to the problem when I drag the install folder to the desktop. I open the install folder and double click install. It ask do I want to run in terminal services. I select yes the terminal services open for quick second and then disappear.

dj33426
12th May 2008, 08:54 PM
You would think just to install the software within the terminal services. You would just path it out where it's located. It's located in /home/DJ/Desktop/install nothing works when I put that in the terminal service. Also what is KDE? I like linux but I didn't think it will be this complicated.,.........

freewood
13th May 2008, 02:26 AM
when you open the terminal, you should be at your home folder (/home/DJ). to get to the install folder type

cd Desktop

make sure you use the upper case "D". then type

ls

cd = change directory
ls = lists directory contents

you should then see the installer folder or program. directory names are in blue, so if you see "install" listed in blue you can "cd" to that directory. do "ls" again and you should see the installer.

if you're not sure were to go, just change one directory at a time and use "ls" to make sure what you're looking for is there. I'm still kind of new at this, and this works well for me.

ppesci
13th May 2008, 02:35 AM
frewood is right. When in directory "install", as user root, yust type the command:

./install

HTH

Wayne
13th May 2008, 04:48 AM
Please don't start a second thread on the same topic.

Wayne

JohnVV
13th May 2008, 08:19 AM
it might be helpful if you posted a link to where you got the software "remote control " All Google comes up with is this thread for the terms
" crclinux.tar.gz" and " nsmclient-installer.tar.gz "
in the file there should be some text files called readme , and install read them . If there is a auto install file it should be called something like install.sh or ( program name ).sh with the ".sh" at the end .
open a terminal
[code]
cd

dj33426
13th May 2008, 02:44 PM
I just want to thank everyone here for Helping me. I believe I was able to install it and it said complete. My question where the program I don't see a its icon. Also to advise any one can download this at www.crosstecsoftware.com/evals and look for crosstec remote control for linux. The cd and the ls help very much. I think to log in as root you have to insert su - I believe. I went into application its not listed there. By the way I have the GNOME desktop, I don;t know if that makes a differences?

ppesci
13th May 2008, 08:11 PM
I think you don't see the icon in the menu because the installer do not did that. Anyway, the application must to have a name, and maybe you can invoke it from one terminal.

In the uncompressed directory must be a README file with the details on how to invoke the application and where is installed. If not, that information must be in the web site.

Luck.

HTH

ppesci
13th May 2008, 08:37 PM
I think you don't see the icon in the menu because the installer do not did that. Anyway, the application must to have a name, and maybe you can invoke it from one terminal.

In the uncompressed directory must be a README file with the details on how to invoke the application and where is installed. If not, that information must be in the web site.

Luck.

HTH

Dandong Travel Photos - Mombasa Travel Photos - Hyderabad Travel Photos on Instagram -