PDA

View Full Version : connecting to network on bootup

kevmif
24th April 2008, 11:16 AM
With F8 I could get my wireless to connect during boot.

I've disabled the two network manager services because I find network manager to be crap. Are they needed to automatically start my wireless connection like F8 used to do?

I do have the activate device when computer starts ticked but it never tries to bring it up.

onboot is set to YES in /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth1

ryptyde
24th April 2008, 11:42 AM
On my F9 preview installed to a laptop using NetworkManager it automatically connects at home or at the workplace. After selecting the wireless AP to connect to and giving the pass key then login password on subsequent reboots it will automatically connect to the AP that has been setup.

I'm happy with how NetworkManager is now working as it is progressing rapidly. :)

kevmif
24th April 2008, 12:20 PM
Yes but NM seems to bring the network up in init 5 and not init 3.

ghost_ryder35
24th April 2008, 02:41 PM
what are you using to configurate your network? Have you tried adding a modprobe statement to the modprobe.conf configuration file. This would let the system bring it up in run level 3 also :)

Here is an example of mine for your reference. the file is located at /etc/modprobe.conf

alias wlan0 b43 ###my wireless card
alias eth0 b44 ###my wired card
alias net-pf-10 off ####turn ipv6 off
alias ipv6 off ####turn ipv6 off

stevea
24th April 2008, 03:14 PM
It's pretty clear that Kevmif doesn't understand the issues.

NM is not cr*p ! AFAIK it's the only Linux wireless tool that handles the authentication keys *and* all the supplicant configuration. It has some limitations ; can only configure one interface at a time for example, but it's almost ideal for end-user systems.

NM *does* bring up all the interfaces whenever the NM service is started and YOU have complete control of which runstate (see the system-config -services). Note this "bring up" does NOT mean configuration. It means the interface is live, but no IP or wireless authentication or encryption.

NM will auto-configure any wired interface using DHCP. NM *CANNOT* configure most wireless connections without authentication information. The authentication data is on a PER USER basis, so NM will not connect to wireless points until a user logs in.

It might be possible to run the network authentication commands "krb5-auth-dialog --sm-disable" on behalf of some particular user prior to login. It's another of those mysterious gobbeldygook secretive Gnomic commands that are (of course) poorly documented.

SO you are looking at the wireless connection issue all wrong. User Fred has authentication permission for Networks A, B, C and Ethel has permission for C, D, F. How can NM decide what to do BEFORE the login ? It can't.

Ghost_ryder35 is off in the weeds too. The modprobe.conf entries DO NOT automatically load drivers. The module aliases like "eth0,", "eth1" in modprobe.conf are used by the Redhat network scripts (see system-config-network and /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-*, and /sbin/ifup). NM and the Redhat script system are two different and incompatible network interface configuration tools. If you use one, then you should disable the other. NM does NOT use the modprobe entries but instead looks at the existing interfaces. *IF* you need to load your wireless driver (most are automatically loaded) for NM you should create a file /etc/sysconfig/modules/my-wifi.modules with a line like:
modprobe MODULENAME >/dev/null
fill in the correct MODULENAME.
==

You have two options to create a wireless connection at boot. You can try to configure NM to gain authentication before login (see above as a starting point). Or you can use the Redhat Script system or wifiradar or one of the other tool *but* you must configure your own supplicants prior to wireless connection attempts.

stevea
24th April 2008, 03:36 PM
what are you using to configurate your network? Have you tried adding a modprobe statement to the modprobe.conf configuration file. This would let the system bring it up in run level 3 also :)

Here is an example of mine for your reference. the file is located at /etc/modprobe.conf

alias wlan0 b43 ###my wireless card
alias eth0 b44 ###my wired card
alias net-pf-10 off ####turn ipv6 off
alias ipv6 off ####turn ipv6 off

Wow - do you teach voodoo lessons on the side. Your modprobe.conf is 100% baloney.

1/ Has absolutely nothing to do with runstate. Nothing - zero !

2/ The '#' in column *1* is a comment. It is NOT a comment in other locations.
This line "alias eth0 b44 ###my wired card" is illegal the extra fields are probably ignored but they may create havoc too. Very very bad form. I sentence you to reading "man modprobe.conf".

3/ This, ignoring the bad comment fields,
alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off
does NOT NOT NOT prevent net-pf-10 or ipv6 from loading. All it does is create a module alias called "off" for these modules. Now if you "modprobe off" both should be loaded, but you can and will still load by the original name. You probably should use the "blacklist ipv6" line if that's really what you want.

ghost_ryder35
25th April 2008, 01:01 AM
Wow - do you teach voodoo lessons on the side. Your modprobe.conf is 100% baloney.

1/ Has absolutely nothing to do with runstate. Nothing - zero !

2/ The '#' in column *1* is a comment. It is NOT a comment in other locations.
This line "alias eth0 b44 ###my wired card" is illegal the extra fields are probably ignored but they may create havoc too. Very very bad form. I sentence you to reading "man modprobe.conf".

3/ This, ignoring the bad comment fields,
alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off
does NOT NOT NOT prevent net-pf-10 or ipv6 from loading. All it does is create a module alias called "off" for these modules. Now if you "modprobe off" both should be loaded, but you can and will still load by the original name. You probably should use the "blacklist ipv6" line if that's really what you want.
1. i put the comments in to let him know what the lines mean, they are not actually in my modprobe.conf file
2. alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off
do indeed turn off ipv6 (at least they did in fedora 2 through 7)
for your reference
http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/how-to-disable-ipv6-on-fedora-linux-why/
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html#ipv6
http://blog.axmx.net/2006/06/27/disable-ipv6-in-rhelfedora/
3. thanks for the fyi that modprobe.conf does not effect run state :)

kevmif
25th April 2008, 01:13 AM
stevea - thanks for going into detail there. I will explain myself a bit better.

In F8 - I used system-config-network to configure my wireless adaptor with my WEP key and static IP details. I ticked the option to automatically connect on boot. Therefore when I start to runlevel 3 and log in, the interface is already up. I could not find any easy way to do that in NM, so I canned it by stopping the two network manager services and configured the interface in system-config-network.

Even though I have ticked the option to start on bootup, I always have to do a su - followed by ifup eth1 to get my wireless working.

Fedora is getting too much like bloody Windows. I was nearly sick when I saw that retarded package manager thing appear in my panel. I canned that pretty darn quick thats for sure. But maybe I just didn't play with NM enough to understand it properly.

kevmif
27th April 2008, 01:26 AM
Still don't know how to make this work.

The system just wont recognise the 'automatically connect on bootup' flag :(

ghost_ryder35
28th April 2008, 03:31 PM
Still don't know how to make this work.

The system just wont recognise the 'automatically connect on bootup' flag :(
found this
http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/Fedora/2007-11/msg04703.html
hopefully it will help

kevmif
29th April 2008, 08:09 AM
Thanks. Still don't understand it though as I have disabled NM.

Prior to NM, what was responsible for bringing up the interfaces in runlevel 3?

My bet is someone f-ed up moving the init scripts to upstart....

kevmif
2nd May 2008, 01:58 AM
Can anyone else shed any light on this? Its getting frustrating lol

kevmif
2nd May 2008, 02:30 AM
Some d**khead (me) overlooked the fact that the network service had been disabled.

Yes, point and laugh its ok!

Sorry for wasting everyones time.

Port Harcourt - Sao Luis Photos - Budapest Instagram Photos -