PDA

View Full Version : Dual Booting FC2 with ParitionMagic/BootMagic (Problem)

abcd200x
4th July 2004, 08:22 AM
I tried installing fedora core 2 with partition magic and boot magic.

-I created a linux partition and a swap partition in partition magic.
-I then created an entry in boot magic for this new partition.
-I installed fedora core 2.

It installed and told me to remove the cd and reboot. I did and selected the entry for fedora under boot magic. I thought it would boot into linux but instead it did nothing. I can boot into windows but I can't boot into linux.

I followed the instructions given with partition magic so I'm not too sure what's going on.

Thanks

Paul Claessen
6th July 2004, 11:04 AM
It was probably better to first install Linux and then install and run boot magic. Bootmagic will automatically find the bootable OS's on your disks.
You may try to run bootmagic again, and see if it finds the newly installed Linux now (in addition to what you, apparantly manually, entered in bootmagic before you installed Linux). Are you installing Linux on the same disk as windows or on a separate disk? Are you using grub? Did you let Linux overwrite the MBR or did you have the bootloader be installed on sector 0 of the boot partition (which you probably should have done to begin with)? But again, first run bootmagic again!

rhetorik
6th July 2004, 01:41 PM
I had the same problem as you and I didn't feel like screwing around with bootmagic. I formatted the Linux partition (with partitionmagic), reinstalled Fedora, and then used the GRUB boot loader that came with it. It works great, too. When I was reading about Dual Booting, I was getting a little anxious about bootloaders, and how to set them up. FedoraC2 made it a snap.

Equisilus
7th July 2004, 04:39 AM
I had recently set up my system to install FC2 (using Norton PartitionMagic 8.0), made sure I installed grub to the /boot section rather than the MBR (which you don't want to do as that's where BootMagic is set up) and then used BootMagic (already installed) to dual-boot between WinXP and FC2. It works great. You have to make sure you follow the steps exactly, which is to partition your drive, install FC2 with grub going to /boot, reboot to Windows and then configure BootMagic to show your new install (there's instructions with BootMagic on how to specifically do this; there are several steps so see the documentation). When you reboot, it will show FC2 and Windows (will not be called those names, of course) and you can choose FC2 and continue on with its setup.

From what you've said, it would seem like you simply have the steps reversed where you added the partition to the boot menu of BootMagic, but that was before the FC2 install. You want to do it the other way around.

Hagere Maryam Photos - Vijayapura Instagram Photos - Yong Peng Photos