PDA

View Full Version : New users, so what's a bug?

akex stone
17th April 2008, 10:36 AM
I'm a fairly new Linux user, and a really new Fedora user. So i've installed F9 beta (from the repository for rawhide) and a couple of things don't quite work as planned. The problem is, as a new user, i'm not sure if it's a bug, or user error. (Which is my default assumption when things go wrong.)
I've installed F9 on my little G4 laptop for travelling, in case that makes a difference.

So i'm starting a list here of problems i've encountered, and would appreciated some cross testing and input from others. If, by consensus we seem to have a bug, i'll post one, but if it's user error, i would appreciate some help guiding a new user into the sunlight, so to speak.

My setup:
G4 Powerbook titanium circa 2002. (sound module is powermac snapper, and the vid is ati onboard.)

So, here we go, and i'll update if i find any more:

Yum.
The add/remove doesn't work for me. I've narrowed the repository list down to just one, Rawhide. Even so, Add/Remove won't recognise when my little home network is actually connected. My first impression was it doesn't know what to do, as i have network manager turned off, and a manual setup to use more than one computer into a router/dsl internet connection.
But Yumex does work, and so does my browser. In fact, for me at least, yumex works very well indeed.
Is this a bug in Add/Remove?

snd-powermac
This was a problematic sound module in an earlier Kernel version, but works fine in the latest version.
I've done the usual modprobe for this module and others, but my problem is, at the moment, that it doesn't stick between reboots, and i have to manually 're modprobe' the module, each time. I may be missing a save function here somewhere (User error).
Is this a bug?

Vid device
My onboard vid is an ati. (and i have no idea how to determine which model.) In F8, the module worked fine (radeon) but doesn't in F9, and i'm using the generic device driver. I understand this is a recognised problem in general, with Ati, but has anyone else got the radeon driver working in F9, and alternatively, if i want to go back to an earlier driver version, how do i insert that into the kernel, and remove the latest one for now?

System Monitor

This doesn't happen all the time, but does when i'm trying to work with Yum. If the programme freezes, and i click on the system monitor icon i have in the top panel, the computer freezes for a moment, then kicks me back to the login screen. I then have to login again, and any changes i've made before the freeze are lost.
Is this a bug?

Finally, as an overview, and with much help from DW and Iva in the PPC chatroom (Thanks a lot fellas.) I have to add that F9 installed pretty well, even considering the ongoing challenges above. Thanks and respects to the Fedora team, for a 'good Beta start', and i look forward to watching Fedora mature even further, and enthusiastically upgrading as we go.

Alex.

Let the mayhem begin!
:)

p.s. Dos anyone know if Livna has an F9 PPC repo up yet?

Adesso
17th April 2008, 12:12 PM
Just a word of warning...
FC9 is not yet released, so if you want to have more success, use FC8.. and I strongly do not recommend starting with a BETA version of Fedora.. you might just give up before the fun starts..

FC8 is really much better for that initial learning curve, as lots of people can help you there..

akex stone
17th April 2008, 12:38 PM
Just a word of warning...
FC9 is not yet released, so if you want to have more success, use FC8.. and I strongly do not recommend starting with a BETA version of Fedora.. you might just give up before the fun starts..

FC8 is really much better for that initial learning curve, as lots of people can help you there..

Adesso, thanks for the timely reminder. I did use F8 for a short while first, and my install was via internet from the dev repo,so i'm a little further ahead than the beta dvd, which is understand is a little way behind current source.

I certainly won't give up though, hehe.

Never give up, never surrender!

Alex.
:)

Adesso
18th April 2008, 08:14 AM
I like you attitude.... and best of luck... we need more people like you .. :P

Have a great day :D

Kafr Qasim Travel Photos - Uniao dos Palmares Travel Photos on Instagram - Pazardzhik Photos on Instagram