PDA

View Full Version : File Manager Superuser mode isn't

OralDeckard
17th April 2008, 01:22 AM
In Gnome I tried File Manager Superuser mode, and it isn't.

I got a file manager, but it is not superuser mode, and I have so far been unable to find any way to make it so.

Where am I going wrong ?

joe.pelayo
17th April 2008, 04:25 AM
In Gnome I tried File Manager Superuser mode, and it isn't.

I got a file manager, but it is not superuser mode, and I have so far been unable to find any way to make it so.

Where am I going wrong ?
What makes you think it isn't? What do you do to get it?

OralDeckard
17th April 2008, 04:51 AM
What makes you think it isn't?

Oh, just that it doesn't bother to ask for the root password and won't allow me to save edited conf files in /etc. If it really is going to super user mode we have a much more serious problem than failing to do so, because no password is required.

What do you do to get it?

I go to Applications/System Tools/File Manager - Super User Mode.
And just to be sure, I fired up the F9 installation again, just to verify it before answering this. And that is exactly what happens. Repeatably.

joe.pelayo
17th April 2008, 04:58 AM
My fault, don't have F9 yet, hence the option isn't here.

However, I know a method that would grant you with a "File Manager - Super User Mode"

If you use GNOME, open a terminal and type:
su
<then it will ask your password; you'll be happy to provide it>
nautilus &
if you are in KDE:
su
<then it will ask your password; you'll be happy to provide it>
konqueror &

You can skip the & if you like, it is just to get the prompt back.

F9 is still a beta, isn't it? So don't get too surprised if all the stuff don't work as expected.
Is a bugzilla report in order?

Thanks.
Joe.

OralDeckard
17th April 2008, 05:49 AM
Thank you, decendant of an ape. Of course that does indeed accomplish reaching super user mode. But of course the menu option is still bad. The purpose of a Beta is to allow a large number of people to try it and find the things that need fixed before release.

Yes, I think a Bugzilla report is called for. I just like to make sure it isn't just me before I do that. The devs have thousands of complaints fo wade through, and they don't need them filed before due diligence at verifying that it really is a bug. That's why I check to see if others can repeat it before I go off the deep end.

My FC6s, F7s and F8s are working fine. But F9 is about two weeks from release, and this is one that I hope to not see show up in general circulation.

joe.pelayo
17th April 2008, 05:56 AM
It's all right mate (descendant of an ape) :D

I downloaded the F9 beta but haven't been able to install it yet. If I do I'll tell ya.

OralDeckard
17th April 2008, 06:27 AM
Well, I just filed a bug report on it.
Bugzilla Bug 442834: Gnome's File Manager - Super User mode isn't super user mode.

OralDeckard
17th April 2008, 11:16 PM
And I am assured the bug is fixed.
Though not in my most recent update. But give it a little time.

It seems that Gnome's File Manager Super User Mode used Konqueror, and couldn't handle all the details of going super user through KDE. The bug was in kdebase. The dev opined that such a function shouldn't even be on that Gnome menu. I agreed, and suggested that the menu item simply link to a two line script that says:
su
nautilus

Owe well, one more down, the rest to go.

And now we have two more weeks to do it :) Hey, why hurry ?

Arganda Photos - Sokal Photos on Instagram - Warud Travel Photos on Instagram