PDA

View Full Version : Flash Content and Fedora 9 Beta?

SendDerek
7th April 2008, 12:32 AM
Hello. I have a couple of question regarding flash content and Fedora 9 Beta (with all the latest updates as of 4/5 at 5:21PM).

1.) Whenever I'm presented with flash content in Firefox, I get a grey box with a "Play" button in the middle. I have to click on that button before I can try to see the content (see first screenshot). Is there anyway to turn it to "AutoPlay"? Also, while along these lines, is this going to be the default behaviour in Fedora 9 Final?

2.) When I do click the play button, I don't get anywhere at all. Actually, a little red "X" appears where the content should appear and I get an AVC Denial prompt (see second screenshot). Also, as most of you may know, Linus Torvalds reported an issue (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=439858) that is nearly identical to my own. It looks as if it has been closed and solved, but I'm still having problems. Is there a fix? I would like to install Adobe Flash instead. Is there a way to do this in Fedora 9 Beta yet?

Thanks for any help,
-Early Adopter

Seve
7th April 2008, 12:54 AM
( Moved to Fedora Focus )

Hello:
Certainly not trying to discourage you, however, the answer probably lies with either bugzilla or with one of the relevant mailing lists for Rawhide.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate
and or
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/

All that being said, if you want to install the Adobe Flash-plugin then follow the same procedure as F8.

Download and install the repository and then use yum to install the plugin and if you like Acrobat Reader as well.

Seve

SendDerek
7th April 2008, 01:04 AM
Thanks Seve.

I'm not discouraged, I'm glad you took the time to try and help me out. I just wasn't sure so I thought I would ask!

I'm still curious about my first question though. Is it going to be the default behavior in F9?

Seve
7th April 2008, 01:12 AM
I'm still curious about my first question though. Is it going to be the default behavior in F9?
Hello:
Well there are still about 3 weeks to the final release .... so it's really too early to say ??

I suspect as the the work on Swfdec continues the default behaviour will continue to change along with it.

Now keep in mind, this is just speculation on my part as I have no inside knowledge one way or the other :)

Just to let you know, I see the same / similar issues on F9 64bit as you have described.

I have used both the Adobe Flash Plugin as well as the Native Swfdec (which I have been using for the last 3 weeks or so) and have seen a lot of improvement.

Seve

scottro
7th April 2008, 01:49 AM
Poor Seve, he's having to move all the F9 threads to focus. Maybe you should put an announcement on the front page for a few days?

Flash is working for me in opera. As for firefox--well, I'm not sure if this just started today since I seldom use Gnome, Firefox or any gtk app,but all of sudden, if I have a network connection, none of them work, so I can't check flash.

SendDerek
7th April 2008, 03:39 AM
Poor Seve, he's having to move all the F9 threads to focus. Maybe you should put an announcement on the front page for a few days?

Flash is working for me in opera. As for firefox--well, I'm not sure if this just started today since I seldom use Gnome, Firefox or any gtk app,but all of sudden, if I have a network connection, none of them work, so I can't check flash.

Ha. I was sorta thinking the same thing. I put mine in the "Software" topic before because there is no topic titled "Fedora 9 Problems".

Good to hear that Adobe Flash is still installable. I'll be trying that out soon. Thanks for all the help!

NBZ
7th April 2008, 02:11 PM
Rawhide is running experimental (SELinux) containment for firefox plugins (through nspluginwrapper). This can cause intermittent errors and problems where a package update is not in sync with the policy (read: all the time since there are dialy builds and updates in Rawhide).

For the final release, this SElinux containment will be turned off by default.

Secondly, the beta I think has the swfdec-mozilla plugin installed by default. This will probably not be in the final release (due to codeina being neutered).

bpepple
7th April 2008, 02:41 PM
Rawhide is running experimental (SELinux) containment for firefox plugins (through nspluginwrapper). This can cause intermittent errors and problems where a package update is not in sync with the policy (read: all the time since there are dialy builds and updates in Rawhide).

For the final release, this SElinux containment will be turned off by default.

Acutally, I believe Dan Walsh said the plan is to have the SELinux containment turned on since he resolved the issue it was experiencing.

Secondly, the beta I think has the swfdec-mozilla plugin installed by default. This will probably not be in the final release (due to codeina being neutered).

Codeina has been brought back in for F9, so swfdec-mozilla will be included in our default installation.

mbokil
8th April 2008, 05:16 AM
I would like to install Adobe Flash instead. Is there a way to do this in Fedora 9 Beta yet?

There is usually a way to install third party non-free software, not GPL'd. For Flash I would just go to Adobe's site and install the RPM. Alas, as Linus noted, swfdec doesn't work with Flash video. Which is pretty much the reason I keep it on my system. Seriously, who ever gets tired of watching a bulldog ride a skateboard. If I was a Fedora dev. I would be reluctant to set Flash to default to swfdec. I can just predict the slew of complaints now. Instead of "why aren't my mp3s playing?" It will be "why is Flash video not working in Fedora 9." Hopefully this will not be the case in the final version. I'll have to create another javascript function to screen out "Flash" issues in forum content.