PDA

View Full Version : F9 Beta and Rawhide usb persistence

ryptyde
31st March 2008, 10:04 PM
Ok I have d'loaded and run F9 beta and the recent Rawhide snapshot live images to both CD and usb stick and booted and ran from both, so what's the problem you may ask?

Well the BIG feature of F9 live images is going to be "persistence" meaning that data can be saved to the usb device and upon subsequent boots your data and changes will still be there! I was wondering if anyone has been successful with that aspect of the install as I am unable to create the "persistence overlay" using the script provided.

Here's what I run:
livecd-iso-to-disk --overlay-size-mb 512 Fedora-9-Beta-Live-i686.iso /dev/sdb1
without success but if I remove the "--overlay-size-mb 512" part it writes the image to the usb 2GB stick. :confused:

RahulSundaram
1st April 2008, 03:56 PM
Hi,

"Without success" doesn't tell anyone what failed. File a bug report in http://bugzilla.redhat.com against livecd-tools with more precise details. What error? what's the output etc.

ryptyde
1st April 2008, 07:48 PM
Was able to successfully create a LiveUSB with persistence by placing the script in the directory containing the image.iso and then opened a terminal in said directory and run the script with these arguments:
# ./livecd-iso-to-disk.sh --overlay-size-mb 1024 Fedora-9-Beta-Live-i686.iso /dev/sdb1
taken from Jeremy Katz's LiVEJOURNAL. :)

AntMan
2nd April 2008, 05:41 PM
Was able to successfully create a LiveUSB with persistence by placing the script in the directory containing the image.iso and then opened a terminal in said directory and run the script with these arguments:
# ./livecd-iso-to-disk.sh --overlay-size-mb 1024 Fedora-9-Beta-Live-i686.iso /dev/sdb1
taken from Jeremy Katz's LiVEJOURNAL. :)

Great.... thanks for the tip. I'll try it tonight with my 4gig USB Flash :cool:

AntMan
8th April 2008, 01:34 AM
worked like a charm. ;)

ryptyde
8th April 2008, 03:21 AM
worked like a charm. ;)

I have made several installs to a usb device and have applied some updates and have noticed a failure to boot the device. I am currently running the KDE4 live image and have made changes to the desktop appearance and have added some packages from the repos but haven't applied any updates and have had no problems rebooting several times so far.

If you experience any boot issues after an upgrade I would be glad to hear of it so as to file a "bug report".

Glad to hear you were successful installing. :)

Abu Qurqas - Egypt Instagram Photos - El Fahs Photos