PDA

View Full Version : Good how-to for tri-boot Fedora-XP-Vista ?

gertdesmet
26th March 2008, 06:08 PM
Hi,

I need to re-install "teh vi$ta" in order to support some (many) of my customers.

I already have XP installed on my first hdd and Fedora 8 installed on my second hdd.

My plan is to resize the XP partition and install vista on the first hdd. In the same time, I am eager to test Fedora9 beta so I was planning to remove fedora8 and install Fedora9 beta on the second hdd.

Now I had many problems dual booting vista/fedora7 (problems on the vista side of course) and I ended up using some 3rd party bootloader software in order to boot successfully both linux and vista.

So I was wondering if you guys have a good how-to, thread or link to help me do this the nice (linux) way.

Thanks in advance for your time.

sideways
26th March 2008, 08:06 PM
I tri-boot vista, f8 and xp on a dell laptop - it was not easy, dell has 3 primary partitions by default, a utility tools partition, a recovery partition and the vista partition, and an extended 'media direct' partition at the end of the drive, which makes things a little tricky.

In your case it should be fairly straight-forward. Install vista first and use something like EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1) to add the other OSes to the vista bootloader. When you install fedora, don't install grub on the mbr, install it in the /boot partition (you need to select advanced grub options in the anaconda installer), then in EasyBCD just select the /boot partition to boot into grub.

For windowsXP, if you have sata drives you will need to disable AHCI mode in the bios and have an install disc with SP2 slipstreamed (see http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm), the xp install will overwrite the vista mbr, so you'll need something like vistabootpro (http://www.vistabootpro.org/) for xp to restore the vista bootloader. Once installed you can install ahci drivers and switch back in the bios

There are many ways to do all this, my suggestions apply more to modern laptops which come preinstalled with vista and have ahci sata drives which have compatibility issues with the original windowsxp.

An easy method for a desktop would be to install vista, then xp, then fedora and install grub in the mbr allowing it to select between the 3 OSes (rather than vista bootloader)

gertdesmet
26th March 2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks for your reply.
I forgot to mention I am installing on a desktop with two sata drives.

EasyBCD is what I used to boot F7 and Vista but I was hoping to use grub only. I woulk like to avoid re-installing Xp also if possible. But thanks a lot for your suggestions and the links, and the tips about AHCI mode for the sata drives and the SP2, I didnt know that. I am checking it out right now. :D

I think I am going to try to resize XP partition, make a new one for Vista, install Vista, install Fedora and try to let grub handle all this :D

If its too much trouble I will try install vista, xp and then fedora with grub on mbr ...

Nokia
26th March 2008, 11:43 PM
sideways, I'm a bit confused. I've seen threads recently when F8 installed after Vista didn't have menu.lst with appropriate entries regarding Vista. So is it a Grub issue or just mishandling of install parameters ?

sideways
27th March 2008, 12:04 AM
sideways, I'm a bit confused. I've seen threads recently when F8 installed after Vista didn't have menu.lst with appropriate entries regarding Vista. So is it a Grub issue or just mishandling of install parameters ?

That's true, when I installed grub it only recognized the WinXP install. However, it is apparently straightforward to manually edit grub to boot vista eg see http://www.pronetworks.org/forum/about78184.html.

I used the vista bootloader to boot the various OSes so I didn't notice vista missing in grub.

Nokia
27th March 2008, 12:07 AM
Thanks for clearing that up. :)

phe
27th March 2008, 03:00 PM
Hello,

Some information frommy side :

I install a lot of dual (multiple) boot machines.
(all kind of windozs - execpt Vi$ta until now - and Linux - dos - even OS2/eCS)

I always install MS soft in a seperate primary partition.
(I make my partitions with a boot CD with a good partition manager on it) (Use the on you like)

Than I make 1 primary partition active and hide all the others.
Install now the MS-os in that primary partition

After installation.
Use again the boot cd and hid this partition, an unhide the second one

Install second MS-os

Do the same for the 3-th one also.

Now comes Linux :

With only 2 MS-oses you can install grub into the 3-th primary partition
In this case I use Smart BootManager for selecting what primary partition to boot.
When chosing 3 - Linux (grub presents a second choise)

when you have 3 MS-oses : I install grub in master mbr !
And I use grub to select my OS

hope this helps.

gertdesmet
31st March 2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks all for your inputs.

Well it all went well and was easy :

I used gparted to resize my windowsxp partition on sda1. Then I created a second primary partition on sda1 and installed vista on it. Of course it overwritted grub in the mbr so I reinstalled it using the rescue cd. Grub only shows Xp and Fedora, but if I select Xp, it will launch the Windows boot loader and I can select between Vista and XP.

This rocks ! :)

Didnt need to install easybcd. Hope I can keep this config when upgrading to Fedora 9 but I dont see why not.

:D

sideways
1st April 2008, 05:14 AM
Thanks all for your inputs.

Well it all went well and was easy :

I used gparted to resize my windowsxp partition on sda1. Then I created a second primary partition on sda1 and installed vista on it. Of course it overwritted grub in the mbr so I reinstalled it using the rescue cd. Grub only shows Xp and Fedora, but if I select Xp, it will launch the Windows boot loader and I can select between Vista and XP.

This rocks ! :)

Didnt need to install easybcd. Hope I can keep this config when upgrading to Fedora 9 but I dont see why not.

:D

LOL, that's yet another way to do it. :)

Let's see, how many different ways can we choose to install a tri-boot system - 6 ways I think, so let's have a go at enumerating them, and the appropriate bootloader solution (I'm guessing some of these, please feel free to correct/suggest alternatives)

(And yes, I do have far too much time on my hands)

1. Vista, XP, then Linux - Use Grub to boot XP/Linux then chainload XP Bootloader to load vista

2. Vista, Linux then XP - Slightly tricky, Fedora rescue disk to reinstall grub - that'll boot Linux and XP, then how to boot vista (Since Vista bootloader is gone, reinstall using Vista Boot Pro from XP?)

3. XP, Vista then linux - Again, a little tricky. Don't install grub in the MBR, install in /boot, then use EasyBCD to addgrub location to Vista bootloader

4. XP, Linux then Vista - Install /grub in /boot not mbr, then after Vista install use EasyBCD to point to it in vista bootloader (XP will be there by default)

5. Linux, Vista then XP - Install grub in /boot, after XP install run Vista Boot Pro to restore Vista Bootloader, use EasyBCD to point to /boot

6. Linux, XP then Vista - Install grub in /boot, run EasyBCD to point to it from Vista (saves one step from 5, ie not having to restore Vista Bootloader from XP)

6 was the OP's order of installation, but on 2 disks - which again complicates matters, how many ways to tri-boot on a dual disk setup? :D

EDIT
Doh! I think I was assuming the XP Bootloader couldn't boot Vista in the above, that might be wrong, in which case I jsut wasted 10 minutes of my life typing all that :D

brr872002
1st April 2008, 12:13 PM
I am using quadric boot with two HDDs

sda1 win xp (grub in mbr)
sda3 FC8 option install grub sda(mbr)

sdc1 win vista (boot loader in mbr removed sda1 during install)

sdc3 Fc9(Beta) option not to install grub

Just added options grub.conf file of Fc7
title Windows Vista
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1
title FC9_Beta
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
root (hd1,2)
kernel