PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 8 Live CD Install and Usage Review

Technopeasant
20th March 2008, 08:36 PM
Installation: Great! Without a flaw!
Applications: Excellent, though I dislike Pirut
GNOME: Perfect.
Interaction with small XP partition: flawless.
YUM: YESSSS!
Rating: 500 Stars

In basics Fedora 8 installed great onto my Dell Latitude D600 from the Live CD. Though it is a shame I could not have used the DVD, downloading and installing KDE is going to be difficult, as was installing OpenOffice.org (due to my slow Internet) though this is a hardware issue not a Fedora issue. Fedora on my dell was one of the best OS's I have ever used, and it is taking full advantage of my hardware! I have not had to configure a single thing though it is likely I will soon use the FGLX drivers instead of the open ones. Go Fedora!

AntMan
20th March 2008, 09:51 PM
I agree that Fedora 8 is a fantastic distro. I now have it installed on 2 of my laptops and my main DELL desktop and I am testing Fedora 9 on the 4th :D

leigh123linux
20th March 2008, 09:55 PM

In basics Fedora 8 installed great onto my Dell Latitude D600 from the Live CD. Though it is a shame I could not have used the DVD, downloading and installing KDE is going to be difficult, as was installing OpenOffice.org (due to my slow Internet) though this is a hardware issue not a Fedora issue. Fedora on my dell was one of the best OS's I have ever used, and it is taking full advantage of my hardware! I have not had to configure a single thing though it is likely I will soon use the FGLX drivers instead of the open ones. Go Fedora!

Try yumex

Name : yumex
Arch : noarch
Version : 2.0.4
Release : 1.fc9
Size : 908 k
Repo : installed
Summary : Yum Extender graphical package management tool
URL : http://www.yum-extender.org
License : GPLv2+
Description: Graphical User Interface for Yum.

su
yum install yumex

bababu
22nd March 2008, 07:35 AM

In basics Fedora 8 installed great onto my Dell Latitude D600 from the Live CD. Though it is a shame I could not have used the DVD, downloading and installing KDE is going to be difficult, as was installing OpenOffice.org (due to my slow Internet) though this is a hardware issue not a Fedora issue. Fedora on my dell was one of the best OS's I have ever used, and it is taking full advantage of my hardware! I have not had to configure a single thing though it is likely I will soon use the FGLX drivers instead of the open ones. Go Fedora! your review give me a touch on my heart. i will try it.

Technopeasant
24th March 2008, 08:29 PM
Try yumex
That is what I use, though thanks for the tutorial, it may be useful to people trying to find a replacement for Pirut (most of the time I use straight YUM in the terminal). I downloaded KDE last Saturday, it was a lost smaller and easier then I expected (it is now set up, I still use GNOME as I like it better but KDE is good to, its apps are generally better then GNOME's). Fedora rocks! It is also interacting with my small XP partition well. :D

bababu
28th May 2008, 05:37 PM
yumex is awosome. Technopeasant, can Fedora support XP partition? that would be great. I would try it.

Ferari
30th May 2008, 01:34 PM
according to this reveiw i will consider to go for this

Corona - Casamassima - Amesbury Photos