PDA

View Full Version : M$ propaganda

strikeforce
24th June 2004, 07:08 PM
I personally don't care from a business perspective what operating system I use or what server operating system I use as long as it works and its cost effective.

I recently came across an advertisement saying that using Microsoft Servers is cheaper than linux or the total cost of ownership.

It then states that the facts are here follow this link. Well just to point out here is the link for everyone

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/facts/default.asp

Now I went in there and had a look at what they were saying. Throughout there claims I see issues with what they are doing. Obviously, understandably making there own product look better than the competitors product being Linux is going to happen but the blatant explanation of how things work is assuming that everyone is stupid.

I mean saying that because some vendors charge for there software linux isn't free. I'm not saying it is but for them to say it isn't because some people charge is like saying because one person did this everyone who looks, dresses acts like him must be of the same mould is ridiculous.

I suppose what I'm ranting about which I am is why does the linux community just stand by and not voice there disagreements with what is said and instead of standing by and taking the abuse because unfortunately we will suffer with less users switching to linux. How will we suffer well because the new people will pass on experience to other people and other people will use the software and possibly implement it more and more some people will pay and other people won't it will create an alternative which is badly needed.

The company from redmond will specifically try and kill linux or at least slow its growth and with the community standing by and letting them carry on it shows that we are disorganised and not ready to face the goliath that controls how we do things. When are we going to change how people perceive us that we are more than just "nerds" who code away and that linux is for users who know how to program.

Anyways enough of my rant. Apologies for those that get offended I just get sick of this thats all.

ghaefb
24th June 2004, 07:17 PM
This kind of advertisement makes me sick.
But what can I do? I'm a student...

Ug
24th June 2004, 07:39 PM
The sign of a panicking monopoly.

ghaefb
24th June 2004, 07:56 PM
The sign of a panicking monopoly.

Exactly :p

ghaefb
24th June 2004, 08:43 PM
Oh my god -> http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~lambert/blog/computers/tanks.html
read this

strikeforce
24th June 2004, 09:37 PM
That last comment which says this I find surprising.

Linux is a leprosy; and is having a deleterious effect on the U.S. IT industry because it is steadily depreciating the value of the software industry sector.

I don't think he understands that the IT sector does not solely comprise of one type of industry. Open source provides the checks and balances. In an economic sense it says that people will not look elsewhere unless and only unless there is a reason to do so. One example is pricing is to high for people to look elsewhere thats probably the biggest thing. I know that the US made a point of stock piling oil when there was an oil crisis so and car manufacturers made a fact of creating fuel conscious cars for people. If people didn't look elsewhere when that happened we might not have oil now why didn't people turn around and say Car manufacturers are evil.

Nkongsamba Travel Photos - Saint-Benoit Photos on Instagram - Tatsunocho-tominaga Instagram Photos