PDA

View Full Version : Help on installing fedora 8.

doomd
29th February 2008, 09:01 PM
Hey i right now have two harddrives.One running windows and one running mepis.I wanted to try out fedora 8 so i installed it.But alas i got the grub1.5 loading error 15 message when booting up after install was complete.I read on here about ways to fix it but i had to install another distro to boot back up into windows.I also heard theres a way to install fedora that wont give that error.So can someone tell me how to install fedora the correct way?

Dies
1st March 2008, 01:19 AM
So can someone tell me how to install fedora the correct way?

Getting a grub error like that is not something that you can cause or control at least as far as I know.
That should just work and can't be something you're doing wrong. ;)

You can try again and if it does the same thing, you can boot from the install disk and manually re-install grub to see if that helps.

If you already have grub installed from another distro you can always install the Fedora grub to the /boot partition and chainload it from the other grub. During install when you get to the bootloader setup screen tick the "Configure advanced options" box then choose to install grub to the partition instead of MBR.

You'll need to edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst for the grub you use now and add Fedora.

Remember that grub counts from 0, so for example if you installed Fedora to the third partition on the first drive your new entry could look like

title Fedora 8
root (hd0,2)
configfile /boot/grub/grub.conf