PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Alpha Version to Beta or Final (stupid question)

swtrse
21st February 2008, 03:04 PM
Well since I didn't use Alpha Versions of Fedora till now this must sound like an realy stupid question :cool: .

Well the question is: If I install the Alpha Version of Fedora 9 will it become Beta/Final Version automaticaly when updating the packetges with yum periodicaly?

Nokia
21st February 2008, 03:51 PM
Yes. But you should be aware that there are 99.99% chances that something might completely mess up your box, and from that point on, you're the only one who might have a chance in restoring it ! But that shouldn't be a problem when you have such high chances of success :)

leigh123linux
21st February 2008, 04:43 PM
Moved to Fedora focus

The alpha and beta versions are just snapshots of Rawhide , to get it to the final version you will need to edit the repos just before the final release date.

Nokia
21st February 2008, 10:12 PM
Sorry, I thought that going on with the updates until - let's say - 24 hours of FC9 release moment would mean that one should have something very near to the final build as with only minor differences when switching from Rawhide to stable version. And I must add that in my previous answer I must have been thinking of Ubuntu's way of going from development to stable with only one modification in sources.list. My apologies again for mixing things/distros...philosophies ? :)

swtrse
26th February 2008, 06:47 AM
Thanks thats helping a lot :)

Demz
26th February 2008, 06:51 AM
Moved to Fedora focus

The alpha and beta versions are just snapshots of Rawhide , to get it to the final version you will need to edit the repos just before the final release date.
he shouldnt need to edit repo's as far as i understand, not with this Pre-Upgrade thing there testing

Napoli Instagram Photos - Aparecida de Goiania Travel Photos on Instagram - Trinidad and Tobago -