PDA

View Full Version : Unable to mount windows NTFS partition - Unclean

ksmj
18th February 2008, 12:38 PM
This is what i get when i try to mount it

# ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/C
$LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0, 0)
Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': Operation not supported
Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use. Choose one action:

Choice 1: If you have Windows then disconnect the external devices by
clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows
taskbar then shutdown Windows cleanly.

Choice 2: If you don't have Windows then you can use the 'force' option for
your own responsibility. For example type on the command line:

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/C -o force

Or add the option to the relevant row in the /etc/fstab file:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/C ntfs-3g defaults,force 0 0

it works with my external hard disk, but it fails with my ntfs partition on my laptop. this is a dual boot system with fedora 8 and windows Vista.

Please help. I need to access files in NTFS partition.

I have read some earlier posts but i still can't solve my problem, so i am hoping someone can help me out here.

thanks

Zero-Override
18th February 2008, 02:15 PM
just add the -o force to the end of it ;)

ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/C -o force

in your case

savage
18th February 2008, 02:16 PM
Solution: Boot the disk up with Windows, and as it says, either safely remove, or cleanly shut down the machine.

The Reason: Windows flags a disk as in use when it accesses it, and removes the flag once the disk has been safely removed or the PC shut down.

You can try as it says, to force it, but it's a lot safer if you have a Windows PC to just boot it up and safely remove it.

ksmj
19th February 2008, 03:19 AM
i heard that it is not safe to force it that's why i am asking it here if there is any other ways.
I always shutdown my windows properly but for some reason windows still flag it as in use.
But it seems to work now after few reboots and shutdown to windows.

thanks

manoynmonic
19th February 2008, 03:35 AM
wow, I get the same problem (I think). Waiting for the solution for this one. My drive gives me this error message when I try to access it:

Record 4 has no FILE magic (0x44414142) Failed to open $AttrDef: Input/output error Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error NTFS is either inconsistent, or you have hardware faults, or you have a SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot into Windows TWICE. The usage of the /f parameter is very important! If you have SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first you must activate it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g. /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation for the details.

But like you, I always properly remove it from windows machines, and have even followed the directions to reboot windows twice. Why the heck is Linux software telling me to go to a Windows machine to fix my problem?

savage
19th February 2008, 08:29 AM
Why the heck is Linux software telling me to go to a Windows machine to fix my problem?Because NTFS is a Windows filesystem, which is closed source, the driver is AFAIK reverse engineered, so the dev's can never be 100% that it is fully compatible.

Your problem sounds like your NTFS partition has become corrupt, while Windows may ignore this, ntfs-3g won't.

A post on the Ubuntu forums hints this can be caused by bad sectors (i.e. faulty hardware), try running 'chkdsk /r /f' which should scan the disk for bad sectors.

manoynmonic
19th February 2008, 08:39 AM
Will do - and for a question that I doubt anyone knows for sure: is a windows XP live cd good enough for this? That's all I have access to at the moment. Meh, I'll see what happens and post back.

Thanks Savage.

LordMorgul
19th February 2008, 08:52 AM
Will do - and for a question that I doubt anyone knows for sure: is a windows XP live cd good enough for this? That's all I have access to at the moment. Meh, I'll see what happens and post back.

Thanks Savage.
That is the correct method of fixing the disk yes, run the recovery console on the XP install disk and use chkdisk.

szaka
19th February 2008, 08:07 PM
wow, I get the same problem (I think). Waiting for the solution for this one. My drive gives me this error message when I try to access it:

Record 4 has no FILE magic (0x44414142)
Failed to open $AttrDef: Input/output error
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent
This is a totally different issue.

The meaning of the above magic code is 0x44414142= "DAAB" which is little-endian, so it should be read from the right, that is "BAAD".

The BAAD NTFS file magic on the disc refers to hardware problems (bad sectors).

A reformat could help temporarily but your data will never be safe until the disk gets replaced with a reliable one.

Good luck with the replacement.

szaka
19th February 2008, 08:16 PM
Because NTFS is a Windows filesystem, which is closed source, the driver is AFAIK reverse engineered, so the dev's can never be 100% that it is fully compatible.
We are exactly 100% sure that we are compatible otherwise we never release the relevant code.

Your problem sounds like your NTFS partition has become corrupt, while Windows may ignore this, ntfs-3g won't.
This is true. We are much more paranoid about users data than Microsoft.

A post on the Ubuntu forums hints this can be caused by bad sectors (i.e. faulty hardware), try running 'chkdsk /r /f' which should scan the disk for bad sectors.
This is also true :-)

But I very much doubt that chkdsk will fix this issue. The experience shows that chkdsk isn't doing its best unfortunately.

manoynmonic
19th February 2008, 09:31 PM
The only access I had to Windows was an XP Live CD (ala PE - you know, Windows on a live cd, like Knoppix, only not really functional) since my laptop recently got hosed, and my friends windows box was also hosed. The live cd had chckdsk (the gui version even), and it looks like it found and repaired the faulty sectors. There have been a few quirky things about this hdd that lead me to think that you are right, szaka. This is probably only a temporary fix on an inherently faulty disk. But at least it will mount now so I can get my data and back it up somewhere more secure. Thanks for all your help szaka, savage, and LordMorgul.

savage
20th February 2008, 08:23 AM
We are exactly 100% sure that we are compatible otherwise we never release the relevant code.My apologies, I wasn't aware of that.

I thought it was more of a "best guess" as to how NTFS worked, and tried and tested in a safe place, now I know better :)

Rabat Photos on Instagram - Bangui - Davao Photos -