PDA

View Full Version : Firefox crashed incl fedora

Magiccheeseball
9th February 2008, 06:58 PM
When i were entering the GTA IV site the firefox crashed and locked itself up including fedora.
and i just started using fedora so i didn't know any other options than rebooting ( Tried ctrl + alt + del )
So i dont know what the problem is hoped you guys could help me. :)

LordMorgul
16th February 2008, 12:01 PM
You didn't mention which version of Fedora you're on, what version of firefox you've got, or what that website url is. If you can post those it might help give you a real answer.

The only thing I could say is, given that its a gaming site it probably is covered in flash, and probably hacked-on ass-backward javascript they paid someone half what they deserved to make.

When X (the whole graphical interface for Fedora) crashes, try to push ctrl-alt-F1, then login as root and type reboot or press ctrl-alt-del when you're at that terminal. This will be a much safer way to get your machine to reboot and not cause filesystem errors.

If that fails, and it is locked up and will not respond to any keypresses, then try logging into your system from another one if you can. Often you will be able to use ssh to login to your crashed system, and reboot it without causing damage.

Hlingler
16th February 2008, 12:25 PM
Hello:

Also, "crash" and "hang" are different: "crash" is program terminates; "hang" is program stops responding/freezes/locks up.

I've had repeated problems with FireFox "hangs" off-and-on over time, usually resulting in the whole graphical interface (but never the mouse, curiously) hanging, and so no way to logout; my usual solution is to switch to a virtual terminal and kill FireFox - it is not necessary to reboot the machine or even logout: ALT-CTL-F1 to get to a virtual terminal, login as root user, and command: killall firefox-bin . Don't forget to logout root, then ALT-CTL-F7 to return to your open session, with FireFox gone bye-bye and everything else OK. Works for me every time.

Of course, this whole exercise will be repeated ad infinitum until the real problem is fixed. In my experience, it's almost certainly caused by a faulty add-on (theme, extension, plug-in). No way to be sure except disable/remove them all, then enable one at a time until problem is located and isolated. See also: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs and http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox.

Yes, would also help to know your Fedora flavor and FF version, etc.

Regards,
V

Villa del Rosario Travel Photos - Sanaa - Modiin Ilit Photos on Instagram