PDA

View Full Version : New computer, graphic card/monitor not working.

maladeus
23rd December 2007, 10:51 AM
I finally gave my 750Mhz Pc a break and bought a dual core @ 3ghz . I wanted to save some parts, an hard dive, and a burner but for my surprise computing has changed in the last 10 years - everything is integrated into the motherboard and I'm unable to use the old hard drive and somehow cannot pop the little plate on the front of the box to install my faithful old burner.
Anyway I'm very happy with the performance increase :)

I'm having 2 hardware problems, one with "Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller", for which linux uses the intel driver, but my monitor doesn't like it. I have an Invalid vga mode error displayed by the monitor. I tried changing the resolution via vim with the same problems. I'm using vesa with that same resolution and it works (also works in windows).

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "pt"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "intel"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

The second problem is with ADMtek NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/10 which is nowhere to be seen on linux. luckily computers still have pci and i put my old ethernet card on it (which strangely only works on linux). This is a minor problem, I can just buy another cable and connect the two cards into the router and let the computer use the one his found off with each OS.

So let's hear what the linux gurus have to say ;)

glennzo
23rd December 2007, 03:32 PM
I finally gave my 750Mhz Pc a break and bought a dual core @ 3ghz . I wanted to save some parts, an hard dive, and a burner but for my surprise computing has changed in the last 10 years - everything is integrated into the motherboard and I'm unable to use the old hard drive and somehow cannot pop the little plate on the front of the box to install my faithful old burner.
Anyway I'm very happy with the performance increase :)

I'm having 2 hardware problems, one with "Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller", for which linux uses the intel driver, but my monitor doesn't like it. I have an Invalid vga mode error displayed by the monitor. I tried changing the resolution via vim with the same problems. I'm using vesa with that same resolution and it works (also works in windows).

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "pt"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "intel"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

The second problem is with ADMtek NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/10 which is nowhere to be seen on linux. luckily computers still have pci and i put my old ethernet card on it (which strangely only works on linux). This is a minor problem, I can just buy another cable and connect the two cards into the router and let the computer use the one his found off with each OS.

So let's hear what the linux gurus have to say ;)
This Linux guru, not, want's to know what your monitor make and model is. You can add a monitor section to your xorg.conf giving the file specific refresh rates to use. Something like this:
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Monitor Vendor" <---Just a name. Good as it is.
ModelName "Monitor Model" <---Just a name. Good as it is.
HorizSync 30-107 <---Add rates specific to your monitor.
VertRefresh 48-120 <---Add rates specific to your monitor.
EndSection
Then you add a monitor reference in the Screen section, like this:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0" <---- Add this to the screen section
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection
If you make these changes and it still doesn't work try these changes with the vesa driver.

RJFUatHOME
23rd December 2007, 09:46 PM
You could also try using the i810 video driver as the man page seems to indicate it could support your card.

maladeus
24th December 2007, 02:41 AM
Thank you glennzo for pointing me on the right direction, your help was precious.

For future reference for those with the same monitor (Targa Visionary 17-3), the refresh rate and the horizontal sync advertised by the company do not work. I tried several values and these ones work:

HorizSync 31.0 - 80.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 60.0

Khalandrion Travel Photos on Instagram - Haiti - Markala