PDA

View Full Version : dell inspirion partitian

LackeyLad
23rd February 2004, 04:47 PM
having trouble partitoning my inspirion.

i need to keep my winxp on becuase of the apps used in schoolwork, but id like ot have the linux have for personal use.

the auto partitian cant allocate space, which i think is not the direct cause, more likely becuase of the winxp files.

when i go manual i cant declare a root or "/" file.

any help?

Thanks.

MiNoS
23rd February 2004, 05:37 PM
There is a good source for people who look for i,formation on how-to install Linux on a Laptop. Maybe you find some usefull info here: http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html

I also heard that there is software on the bootable Knoppix CD to part a HD and its described somewhere as well but I don't know if you have Knoppix.

LackeyLad
24th February 2004, 03:29 PM
The information on that link was really helpful. Should be of great help when deciding what to do with the laptop.

the reason i am so cautious is becuase of the schoolwork i have on that drive. i will not even attempt to install fedora or any other linux without knowing i can understandingly do so.

if i have to, ill wait for summer and buy a new laptop, which is not what id liek to do.

The mandrake 9.2 section on the link descibes a setup that partitians and resizes without any complication, too bad id have to purchase online.

Ug
24th February 2004, 05:23 PM
Can't you back up all the vital school files?

LackeyLad
24th February 2004, 10:19 PM
sure i could.

i am just trying to save myself the time involved in reinstalling winxp and the apps i need for school. the vs.net is a three hour endevour itself.

im looking at partition magic at the moment, i believe that may clear the problems i am having

Ug
24th February 2004, 10:28 PM
If you just want to repartition in windows, then partition magic is recommended.

LackeyLad
25th February 2004, 02:10 PM
It was mentioned in one of the links above that becuase of how the hd comes stock, there are some unmopvable files that prohibit a solid partition for linux.

so my hope is that partition magic will care for this problem easily.

i have seen these files when i would defrag too.

MiNoS
25th February 2004, 03:48 PM
If the system is ereased, than the Fedora installation and parting of the HD for a triple boot system and after the successful installation of Linux the reinstallation of Win XP with the recovery CD, which shouldn't be a problem since Windows only sees FAT or NFTS HDs... is this possible?

LackeyLad
25th February 2004, 04:53 PM
Im assuming that Fedora will (if i erase all other partitions) perform a installation on the hd thus that is can be easily sectioned for a winxp reinstallation?

The reinstallion of software would be a major pain in the ass, but ill get over being lazy.

is that what you mean minos? to erase and install fedora then reinstall winxp?

p.s. everyone else appears to be from europe :)

Ug
25th February 2004, 05:39 PM
(There are far more americans, Europeans are in the minority)

MiNoS
26th February 2004, 08:49 AM
@ LackeyLad

I mean to install Fedora and resize all of the HD and thus deleating XP. After installing Fedora I would use the Dell recovery CD to install XP (and the other software) to the free partition. Since XP can't read the Linux file format it should only find the 10 GB in NFTS or FAT.

proffit
26th February 2004, 10:07 AM
I have a dell inspiron and I used partition magic to create the partition. then I use the manual option on fedora install for partitioning and name the partition I have for linux / and then have it format that partition in ext3 and the swap partition that I have also used partition magic to create. I had no problems and actually I like partition magic enough that I have never used the actual disk druid program that is on the fedora cd.

mhelios
26th February 2004, 10:27 AM
LackeyLad,

If you want to keep XP and dual boot Fedora, you should resize your NTFS partition and run the FC installation CD to let it install to the free space.
Partition Magic will do it but I don't like it as it messes the partition table up such that other partitioning tools such as parted, fdisk and the like will complain about the table. But that's not to say things won't work; you just might have issues.
The second option is to run one of the available Live CDs and run either parted or preferrably ntfsresize to shrink XP's partition.

Once you have some free, unformatted space, just run the Fedora CD1 and let it assign the necessary paritions automatically to the newly created free space.

Check out this page to choose a Live CD, floppy-based tools or simply using the command line to resize :
http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html#example

South San Jose Hills Instagram Photos - Mahdishahr Travel Photos - Mahanoro Travel Photos on Instagram