PDA

View Full Version : How to dual boot Fedora 8 on Vista Presario Laptop.

stevef22
25th November 2007, 08:34 PM
Can someone please outline the basic steps when installing Fedora 8 onto a laptop? I just purchased the Presario C717NR laptop from Circuit City on Black Friday.

I would like to dual boot my machine, One OS being Vista the other Fedora Core 8.

http://www.enigmawebdesign.com/craigsad/C717NR.jpg

The laptop did not come with any DVDs. I had to create them from restore partition on hard disk. I erased the 8Gig restore partition after creating the restore DVDs.

I have downloaded Fedora Core 8 ISO and have that burned to DVD properly.

stoat
25th November 2007, 09:29 PM
Can someone please outline the basic steps when installing Fedora 8 onto a laptop?Hello stevef22,

The Basic Steps

Make for darn sure that you can restore. I love Fedora. Fedora is the only Linux I have ever used. But no one in their right mind would tell you it will install just fine with no worries. Fedora installs easily for millions of people, but the possibility exists for Fedora to bust the wheels right off of your new laptop.

Read the Fedora Installation Guide (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f8/en_US/). Think your way through it first. Come back and ask questions until what you are going to do is planned and clear.

Create unpartitioned space for Fedora. Use only Vista's built-in partition manager to shrink the Vista partition, or a partition manager that specifically states that it is designed for use with the new Vista partitions (http://www.multibooters.co.uk/partitions.html). If it doesn't say that, don't use it on Vista. Actually, that 8 GB that you got from the restore partition would work, but it would be a tight squeeze and not allow for any growth. Many people consider 10 GB a minimum size for a typical desktop with Fedora. I don't know where on the drive your empty 8 GB is located, but maybe you could shrink Vista in a way to enlarge that 8 GB to 10+ GB.

Install Fedora. I recommend allowing the default choice of installing GRUB in the master boot record of your hard drive to proceed. GRUB is a versatile and reliable boot loader. It is highly likely that GRUB will automatically and accurately add Vista to its menu. If it doesn't, it has so far been a simple GRUB tweak to get it there. Many people have done it here. The opposite scenario of adding Fedora to the Vista menu is also possible, but requires much more work or the need for software to do the work. I am at a loss to see the advantage afforded by the extra effort just to have the Vista boot loader do the booting chores.

You have my sincere best wishes.

glennzo
25th November 2007, 09:31 PM
I used Vista's Disk Tools / Management on my laptop to shrink the 160GB disk, create a 2GB swap and 2 10GB EXT3 partitions. Then I installed Fedora and never looked back.

stevef22
26th November 2007, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the good direction and advice. Looks like Vista Partition Shrink will only give me 8397.
Im thinking about going ahead with the shrink, then making a 6gig partition and an 2gig partition. This will later be Ext3 and Swap space. Am I on the right track? Going to read more tutorials now...

http://www.enigmawebdesign.com/craigsad/shrink.jpg
Heres what Im looking at.

stevef22
26th November 2007, 03:42 AM
Glennzo- Why do I need 2 Ext3 partitions?

benjo
26th November 2007, 05:46 AM
Create unpartitioned space for Fedora. Use only Vista's built-in partition manager to shrink the Vista partition, or a partition manager that specifically states that it is designed for use with the new Vista partitions. If it doesn't say that, don't use it on Vista. Actually, that 8 GB that you got from the restore partition would work, but it would be a tight squeeze and not allow for any growth. Many people consider 10 GB a minimum size for a typical desktop with Fedora. I don't know where on the drive your empty 8 GB is located, but maybe you could shrink Vista in a way to enlarge that 8 GB to 10+ GB.

VERY GOOD ADVICE!
I just resized a Vista partition with Gparted, great tool but as they say "potentially a weapon of mass destruction".
I think Vista puts it' s page files right near the end of the partition or something, because after i resized i couldnt boot back in. I ended up formatting the whole drive and starting from fresh.
I also used the live boot cd to install Fedora 8, everything right down to the IR remote worked so i would suggest that if you want a basic hassle free install, unless any1 knows a better method for a "i want it to just work" install.
(im quoting myself by the way :->)

stevef22
26th November 2007, 06:14 AM
I am now loading Fedora 8 on my system.

Here is what I have done up to this point ( For my own references if my system crashes. )

1. Used Vistas Partition Shrink to shrink partition and get about 8 gigs free. Even though atleast 10 recommended. Left new partition alone after that simple shrink step.

2. Restarted Laptop with FC8 install iso DVD in the ROM
Loading right now... Everything going smooth after I got around the running/sbin/loade freeze.

**"snapshots or page files are enabled" Boo, I disabled both system restore and virtual ram, That had no effect on the amount I could shrink Vistas Partition

***stops at running/sbin/loader... linux ide=nodma nousb nofb into command options

Left default load/volume options for FedoraCore8

stevef22
26th November 2007, 06:49 AM
Everything works Great~~! I can now choose to boot either to Vista or Fedora Core. Vista seems to load up fine and same with Fedora Core 8.

Grub bootloader defaults to Fedora , Anyway to make the Grub default to Vista?

Malachai
26th November 2007, 07:22 AM
Hopefully everything went well with your installation... I know that I used the vista tool to make the space for my fedora installation. Remember when your done installing it change the /boot/grub/grub.conf
file to edit the time for which os boots ..

I love my linux installing and my dual boot since I also have vista installed.

glennzo
26th November 2007, 10:06 AM
Glennzo- Why do I need 2 Ext3 partitions?
Sorry. I have 2 Linux distros that I boot along with Vista. Didn't mean to mislead.

glennzo
26th November 2007, 10:11 AM
Everything works Great~~! I can now choose to boot either to Vista or Fedora Core. Vista seems to load up fine and same with Fedora Core 8.

Grub bootloader defaults to Fedora , Anyway to make the Grub default to Vista?
Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst. The line near the top that says default= needs to reflect Vista's position in the file. So if you see something like this:

default=3
timeout=30
splashimage=(hd0,4)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora 8 (2.6.23.1-49.fc8)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-49.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/ vga=791
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-49.fc8.img
title Fedora 8 (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/ vga=791
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
title Debian Etch (2.6.18-5-686)
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-5-686 root=/dev/sda6 ro
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-5-686
savedefault
title Windows Vista Home Premium
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1

Default=3 means that Vista is the default OS. Vista is the 3rd listed here, starting from 0. Fedora 8 is 0, Debian Etch is 2.

glennzo
26th November 2007, 10:15 AM
I wanted to mention that with 8GB for Fedora you need to keep you eye on free space. I have only 10GB (should have made it 20GB), and have come close to running out of space. Can't reliably download a DVD ISO on the laptop. I've run out of space diong so and had to abort the download. The partition will start to fill up and will become a problem. If I'm not mistaken, you let free space run out and you may not be able to boot into your system. Don't lose any sleep over it though.

likuidkewl
28th November 2007, 02:22 AM
As stated in this thread a fresh wipe and install is not always an option, but if you have built your recovery cd's then it would be ok. In my experience the following has worked, your mileage may vary:

First step - was to reset the page file in Vista/XP to a said amount ie. 1024MB(I use as much or half of my RAM total)
Second - was to remove anything I deemed non essential
Third - defrag and compact(remove temp files)
Fourth - load up a Ghost boot CD OR its freeware buddy G4L
Fifth - Image the Vista/XP partition to a usb hd/network share/ or new partiton
Sixth - Reboot into a bootcd of choice, WinPE or Knoppix work well and delete the old partition <NOT THE ONE WITH THE IMAGE!!!> Then create a a new partition for the Vista/XP and also a new one for the Linux OS.
Seventh - Reboot into the Ghost environment and apply the previously created image to the new Windows partition, I know Ghost will auto adjust to the new partition size smaller or bigger, I DON'T know about G4L.
Eighth - Install Linux as normal on the Linux OS partition
Done!

Note your mileage may vary!!!!

Also of note, Maxtor/Seagate/Hitachi all have tools which will allow you to create a bootable CD for the partition creation etc.
Seagate also will allow you to use a limited copy of Acronis TrueImage to create a backup of your current drive, this also I am told will expand or contract (dynamically) to your current partition size.

IMO - All OEMs should supply Windows OS CD/DVD if the unit is sold that way....

Links:
G4L - http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/
Seagate Acronis - http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard/

zagloba
28th November 2007, 02:43 AM
This is how I did it
xp first them F8 on same drive 80g
First install xp them use gparted live cd to split the hd I did 40/40
on the other half I installed F8 all went smoth both os are working fine
grub will start F8 first and xp is as other u can chaneg this I did see a thread for that but it work for me.
happy dual user.
need help just ask.

lde
30th November 2007, 09:57 PM
Regarding the issue of shrinking down the Vista partition by more than 8 GB, here's how it can be done. I posted this in the Kubuntu forums http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3088975.msg101758#msg101758
based on the advice found here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3085327.msg81465#msg81465

Different distro, but the Vista partitioning is applicable.

What I did to repartition:

1) Used Vista's native tool to shrink the volume down to 35 GB. In order to shrink it down far enough, I had to kill the system restore points (see http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-system-restore-in-windows-vista/ for a how-to). I also did not kill the Vista recovery partition (as per Snowhog's recommendation), as I did in my first attempt to repartition. Doing that seems to make it impossible to shrink the hard drive, even if you move the pagefile and the shadow copy.

2) Used GParted to make new partitions out of the free space. I killed the vista recovery partition at this stage, as only 4 partitions are allowed, and I wanted separate / and /home partitions, plus I needed a swap partition.

stoat
30th November 2007, 11:00 PM
I killed the vista recovery partition at this stage, as only 4 partitions are allowed, and I wanted separate / and /home partitions, plus I needed a swap partition.Hello lde,

You can have more than four partitions. In place of one of the four possible primary partitions, you could have created one extended partition with lots of logical partitions. Fedora easily installs in logical partitions. Even XP can be installed in a logical partition as long as there is a compatible active primary partition for its boot loader files.

lde
30th November 2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks, and quite right, I am sure. Extended and logical partitions are a bit over my head, so sorry for the misleading post. I put up the post primarily to show the Vista volume can be shrunk more than is at first apparent.

By the way, for interest's sake, I am busy installing over Kubuntu with Fedora 8. It just seems to be a lot more functional out of the box than Kubuntu 7.04 or 7.10. Hopefully no snafus will happen with this.

Cheers!

Malachai
5th December 2007, 06:00 AM
Thanks, and quite right, I am sure. Extended and logical partitions are a bit over my head, so sorry for the misleading post. I put up the post primarily to show the Vista volume can be shrunk more than is at first apparent.

By the way, for interest's sake, I am busy installing over Kubuntu with Fedora 8. It just seems to be a lot more functional out of the box than Kubuntu 7.04 or 7.10. Hopefully no snafus will happen with this.

Cheers!

How did your installation go so far? Did you get your vista and fedora running...

lde
5th December 2007, 03:01 PM
Hi,

The installation went fine, and most things worked out of the box, except for hibernation and getting onto 64-bit encrypted wireless routers. I detailed some of the process here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=173938.

I have actually removed Fedora now, and have put SLED10 SP1 on, simply because I need to get cracking with work and wanted a supported distro. Unfortunately, most of the hardware on the laptop is too new to be supported even by SP1, so my LAN card (a Realtek 8101) doesn't work, and I thus can't download all the necessary patches. So, I have it on my machine, it dual-boots with Vista, but it has no internet and low screen res.

If they can't fix it soon, I'll be back to Fedora, more than likely.

I also tried a live CD of OpenSuse 10.3, which is the only distro I have tried thus far that I could use to get WEP wireless.

If you have time to get a few minor bugs worked out by forum-hunting, and you have the HP DV6500T, my experience thus far suggests that Fedora 8 is the best distro, or possibly OpenSUse.

Cheers....

Malachai
8th December 2007, 04:42 AM
I would say that any fedora distro is good. I been with them since they started... I remember when it was just red hat and they were free....

The only thing is every 6 months updates you have to reinstall everything. Ubuntu does not do that at all... They update the OS but it's almost like MS...

I was thinking of try it since my wireless card did not work right on FD8.

If someone could answer me this... Does the commands that FD8 the same as Ubuntu? Would it be hard to learn Ubuntu?

Lubeck, Germany Travel Photos - Winterhuder Weg Travel Photos on Instagram - Batu Ferringhi, Penang - Busch Gardens Instagram Photos