PDA

View Full Version : Oldies but goodies.

John the train
17th November 2007, 09:23 AM
Here's some real ' blasts from the past ', but the 1980's... I suddenly feel very old! :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7097520.stm

Lindy
17th November 2007, 05:58 PM
Hehehe... However, I don't think you're old until you start reminiscing about one of these (http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/attic2/attic2_022.html) :p

John the train
17th November 2007, 07:46 PM
Hehehe... However, I don't think you're old until you start reminiscing about one of these (http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/attic2/attic2_022.html) :p
Was that the famous ' golf-ball ' machine? I've heard of those, but can't recall having knowingly seen one.

twn250
17th November 2007, 08:48 PM
Was that the famous ' golf-ball ' machine? I've heard of those, but can't recall having knowingly seen one.

Yes, that's the "Golf Ball" machine :)
I have played with one at my mothers office as a kid (early 80's). Dang, now I feel old for knowing about that machine ;)

Lindy
17th November 2007, 09:38 PM
Dang, now I feel old for knowing about that machine
Then that leaves me to be ancient for actually having used one... For years!

lazlow
17th November 2007, 11:36 PM
Lindy

Do not feel lonely. I learned to type on an old Remington, it did not require a plug in.

Lazlow

Dan
18th November 2007, 01:38 AM
I have heard rumors that Anne McCaffery and Isaac Asimov were both known for their ability to type fast enough ... to jam an IBM Selectric, and until the day he died, Asimov steadfastly refused to give his up.

I did college on a SEARS manual portable ... and a case lot of wite-out.

Lindy
18th November 2007, 02:26 AM
I did college on a SEARS manual portable ... and a case lot of wite-out.
I did my freshman year with my mom's old Underwood, and the requisite gallon of white-out. My experience with the Selectric was actually before that, when I was in the Navy trying to type supply requisitions in triplicate!

Dan
18th November 2007, 02:41 AM
One good thing about it. I was a lot slower, but after turning page after page into cat toys, I was a heckuvalot more accurate. Had stronger fingers too.

Zotter
19th November 2007, 09:06 AM
Reminisce?
No, but my therapist says I should be able to sleep through the night in a few more years.

You ever try to re-band one of those?? ::shudder::

Damn, that memory will cost me at least 6 more months of poor sleep.

sailor
19th November 2007, 05:00 PM
gee thanks, now I feel real old too...I used a IBM Selectric when I was taking a business course a long while back...but I actually learned to type on a Royal manual typewriter :(
I also owned a used portable Smith-Corona manual typewriter...

John the train
19th November 2007, 07:34 PM
I also owned a used portable Smith-Corona manual typewriter...
From memories of a portable typewriter I owned I think ' luggable ' would have been a better description - rather like some early laptops!

Lindy
19th November 2007, 09:12 PM
gee thanks, now I feel real old too...
Well you ought to :p ... This getting old stuff is for the bloody birds! <Lindy presses ctrl + a couple of times>