PDA

View Full Version : Grub-GFXboot for Fedora

Meatcart
13th November 2007, 09:53 AM
Hello,

Does anybody still have an rpm file of Grub Gfxboot? I want a prettier grub then I've got now xD And I found some guides about how to do it, but they're way outdated.

I tried out OpenSuse for like an hour and I fell in love with their Grub config, so I was wondering if it's possible on Fedora too?

Dies
13th November 2007, 11:40 PM
You can easily install the grub from Suse or any other distro and use it with Fedora.

Back up your current grub folder, just in case. Then boot from a distro that uses the grub you want and install it

grub-install /dev/sda

or whatever drive you want it on.

Find the grub files from that distro and copy them to your drive then organize your grub folder and there you go. You'll need to modify your current config to use gfxboot.

If you don't feel comfortable with this then read up on grub first.

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

Gfxboot doesn't allow setting a grub password though, so keep that in mind.

surdy
29th November 2009, 06:29 AM
I tried to install openSUSE packages but they used to fail as they needed LZ compression I recently upgraded to Fedora 12 and came to know that RPM packages now use XZ/LZMA compression.Hence I knew I would get past the rpmlib(PayloadIsLzma) <= 4.4.2-1 is needed error without any work on my part. So I thought it would be easier now to try installing openSUSE packages and gave it a shot. I was successful this time. Here (http://harpreet.in/blog/2009/11/29/gfxboot-on-fedora/) are the steps I followed to get it working for my system.

Hope this helps people who try it in future.

Dies
29th November 2009, 07:49 AM
Seems like a really bad idea to install packages from another distro.

Personally, I would just manually overwrite the files so that it doesn't affect the rpm database, but hey whatever works I guess.

surdy
29th November 2009, 08:17 AM
well I do understand that installing packages from another distro can be dangerous but I played the bet as it seemed reasonable because the packages which i was installing had no equivalents in fedora so the chance of conflict was minimum and I don't mind adding a few extra packages to the rpm database.
Its working fine till now ...I hope it does continue . I would try extracting the files and using them instead when i have more time to experiment or pick up sources for the packages and build and customize them for fedora.

Sundern Photos on Instagram - Greenville Photos - Kongoussi Instagram Photos