PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 8--cannot find driver for x1600pro

billwww
9th November 2007, 07:03 PM
Hi--

I'm having the same problem with f8 that I had with f7--when Anaconda starts, it fails to recognize the video card (ATI Technologies Unknown device 71e3) and the screen goes black (no video detected) until I reset.

I managed to install f7 by switching to onboard video in BIOS (nVidia 6100) and installing with the monitor in analog mode. This was difficult because the screen size was detected incorrectly and the "next" button was offscreen. I then changed the driver to "vesa" and the monitor to digital in xorg.conf, shut down the computer, reinstalled the x1600 card, changed the BIOS and finally got video. At that time, the 8.42 driver wasn't up on livna so I decided to wait for the (expected) open-source Radeon driver that was supposed to come in f8. Apparently that doesn't exist.

Is it possible to force fedora to use the vesa driver during installation? I can't find any information on that. I am hoping there is a parameter command I can append in the installation command.

Gigabyte M61P-S3, Asus EAX1600PRO-SILENT, 4GB Corsair xmms DDR2-800, 2 x Seagate 320GB in RAID1 array.

billwww
9th November 2007, 07:14 PM
Sorry, I sent this and the send hung up. I made a minor change and tried it again, but apparently both went through.

Please reply to second (other) post.

billwww