PDA

View Full Version : Error on boot : unable to access resume device

dshaw256
4th November 2007, 08:17 PM
I lost my hard drive last week, 30 seconds after I recorded a full system backup on DVD. What luck!

I decided to take advantage of the situation and correct some partitioning problems as long as I was reinstalling the system. When I expanded my full system backup, I had a few device name/number problems to fix in grub.conf and fstab. Now everything is working great except one thing.

I'm getting this message very, very early in the boot process:

unable to access resume device label=SWAP-sda4

fstab has been corrected; that entry now reads "SWAP-sda3" as it should. During boot, all my file systems mount correctly, and I do appear to have access to swap (the "free" command shows valid results...), though I have enough RAM that I've never seen swap used.

There must be another text file somewhere that I can't find, that contains a reference to SWAP-sda4. Can anyone point me in a direction? I'm kind of lost.

I saw one forum post that was very close, but the resolution was to do an SE Linux relabeling. I have SE Linux disabled.

Thanks, all.

Dave

dshaw256
4th November 2007, 09:02 PM
Sorry. Ignore this. Fixed it. :-)

I gave up reading too soon. Found essencial clues in two posts on this forum. Not exactly in this order, given the amount of hacking around I was doing (!!), I ended up doing this:

(as superuser)

swapoff -a
mkswap /dev/sda3
edit fstab and change "LABEL=SWAP-sda3" to "/dev/sda3"
swapon -a
mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-2.6.22.9-61.fc6.img 2.6.22.9-61.fc6 [[ for example ]]

Now it boots clean and "free" shows the appropriate available swap space. Whew.

Madtongsan IV Market Square Instagram Photos - Pullman Hotel - Baiyun Airport, Guanzhou. China Instagram Photos