PDA

View Full Version : Seagate External Hard Drive

Beaz
27th September 2007, 04:01 PM
Hi there folks,

I'm running Fedara 7 on a laptop and i'd like to be able to access the stuff on my old external drive.
It's this one:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=dbe219e0babfd010VgnVCM100000dd 04090aRCRD&locale=en-US#

I've had a little look round the forum but couldn't find much... Is there a driver set for this disk yet?
I haven't tried messing about with it yet as i generally cause more problems than I solve!

Many thanks in advance
Beaz

Wangberg
27th September 2007, 04:08 PM
try

su -
enter password
fdisk -l

you should see it as /dev/sdc1 or something like that

then:

mkdir /media/external
mount /dev/sdc1 /media/external

now all it's contents are in /media/external

Beaz
27th September 2007, 04:27 PM
Cheers Wangberg, I'll give this a go as soon as I can. Is this what they mean by Mounting a disk? it becomes part of the filesystem rather than just being recognised by the OS?

Ta
Beaz

Wangberg
27th September 2007, 04:47 PM
yes, this is mounting a disk. Remember to umount when you're done :D

Beaz
27th September 2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks once again, I've tried it and it works! Got all my files on the hard drive now. Normally when I plug in a pen drive or something I'll get an icon on the desk top (in KDE). Is there a way of getting Fedora to mimic this behavior with the Seagate?
I can't figure out why there is a distinction between the two...

Wangberg
27th September 2007, 05:17 PM
Fedora should automount drives when they are plugged in. did you try rebooting your computer after the device is plugged in and turned on ?

i'll be honest, i've had issues in the past with external drives not automounting and showing up and it was hellish. i know i have some posts on this forum relating to the topic.

Elblag Travel Photos on Instagram - Jatai Photos - Helsingor Travel Photos on Instagram