PDA

View Full Version : Updating Fedora 6 Remotely

open4biz
22nd September 2007, 07:26 PM
Hi All,

I'm pretty new to the world of Linux/Fedora. I have a dedicated web server running Fedora Core 6 and Plesk 8.1.1. I have root access.

Because it's dedicated, I'm responsible for the care and maintenance of it. Recently, I received the following email from my hosting company:

We're writing to inform you that we've recently experienced an unexpected increase in viral infections and other security compromises on servers running certain outdated software.

Therefore, servers that currently run older versions of operating systems, and those that run third-party software originally installed at the time of provisioning (such as PHP, Apache, etc.) are at serious risk for compromises and viral infections.

In most cases, such servers have not been updated in several years, leaving them without the latest security updates that prevent hackers from easily exploiting the servers.

In an effort to prevent as many of these security breaches as possible, Aplus.Net is reminding all our dedicated server customers to update your operating system and third-party software on a regular basis, at least once a month.

Remember, once the servers are provisioned and turned over to you for your use, it is your responsibility to update the servers to the latest release and fix levels.
Doing so will help ensure that your server has the latest security features and fixes that are available, and thus significantly reduce the vulnerability of the server.

While the current increase in compromised servers is related to older Fedora operating systems, it is wise to install the latest updates on your server regardless of whatever operating system you may use (Windows, Fedora, etc.).

My question is: what's the best way to remotely update the OS and other components (MySQL, PHP, etc)? I've updated Plesk and it's all up to date.

Any help would be appreciated! :D

-A.

tho.mei
22nd September 2007, 07:33 PM
Hallo

su -
root passwod
yum upgrade

Is the way to update the system.

To upgrade to FC7 look at: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq#head-bdd1ed4a339aa22c95c238af0e3323c0bccf6167

open4biz
22nd September 2007, 07:44 PM
Hallo

su -
root passwod
yum upgrade

To upgrade to FC7 look at: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq#head-bdd1ed4a339aa22c95c238af0e3323c0bccf6167

Do I enter this into telnet or something?

Brian1
22nd September 2007, 08:16 PM
I would not use telnet. I use ssh. Never login into ssh directly as root. never allow root to be able to login through ssh. Always login as a user and then su to root and do the yum command.

Brian

open4biz
22nd September 2007, 09:02 PM
When I log in, I get this:

***WARNING***

This server has control panel administration software installed.
Please use only the control panel to administer this server.
Changes made to this server using methods other than the control panel
will NOT be supported.

and then the connection is terminated.

Any suggestions? I'm assuming this is Plesk resting control?

Brian1
22nd September 2007, 10:06 PM
If they won't let you upgrade then they should do it for you. I would look into having your own domain and server on site if it was me. If you must maintain security updates and stuff.

Brian

open4biz
3rd October 2007, 11:55 PM
Hallo

su -
root passwod
yum upgrade

Did you (or did he) mean yum upgrade or yum update ? I've read a couple things and want to make sure I go about it the right way. I'm not looking to upgrade to Core 7 yet... or do I need to? Should I worry about possible complications of going up a core version number?

Any info would be appreciated. :)

tho.mei
4th October 2007, 08:01 AM
Hallo all

about yum update and yum upgrade:

see man yum:

update
If run without any packages, update will update every currently
installed package. If one or more packages are specified, Yum
will only update the listed packages. While updating packages,
yum will ensure that all dependencies are satisfied. If no
package matches the given package name(s), they are assumed to
be a shell glob and any matches are then installed.

If the --obsoletes flag is present yum will include package
obsoletes in its calculations - this makes it better for dis-
tro-version changes, for example: upgrading from somelinux 8.0
to somelinux 9.

upgrade
Is the same as the update command with the --obsoletes flag
set. See update for more details.

In other words: to realy set fedora up to date, you sould use yum upgrade. But it has the possibility to delet things you may don't want. yum upgrade does not mean to update vrom FC6 to F7.

Austria - Togo Travel Photos - Kyrgyzstan -