PDA

View Full Version : Hi

StormChaser
21st September 2007, 10:23 PM
Greets from afar..

I'm Storm.. Network Engineer in Austin TX.. Mainly a Windows Environment.. I've been touching linux a little bit.. Last time was about 10 years ago, so I'm way rusty.. A lot has changed since then.. I'm working with getting back into Linux full force, I'm hoping to push my company and my future engineering contracts to using Linux based servers instead of Windows... I've grown accustom to absolutely hating the OS although I can't speak freely on that due to it supplying my income. I'm hoping however to alleviate that..

Just wanted to say thanks to the many great people that have helped me here.. Ya'll are the best! I hope to grow along with you and move to an intermediate linux user soon.

Thanks again!

glennzo
21st September 2007, 10:27 PM
Hi Storm. Welcome to Fedora Forum. You'll find a ton of Linux experience here. Lot's 'o' great people.

Dan
21st September 2007, 10:46 PM
Welcome again, Storm.

With luck, the next issue will go a wee bit smoother. <..:p..>

I wonder, though, if your handle also means you get all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at the sight of a decent wall cloud?

Dan

Seve
21st September 2007, 10:50 PM
Hello:
Welcome to the forums :)

You did bring some beer didn't you ?

Seve

StormChaser
21st September 2007, 10:53 PM
Yes it does :)

I've been a Skywarn Stormchaser for the National Weather Service since 1999.. I'm part of the CenTex ARES group down here in Austin.. I spend a lot of time tracking Tornado's, mainly what I specialize in.. I have a 2004 F250 Superduty Crew Cab with a custom built 650hp Twin Turbo Powerstroke Diesel, 4.5" Lift, 35" Mudgrips.. I tend to cut through pastures, backyards, ranches, anything to keep an eye on it..

I love it, though its a hobby and I don't get paid for it.. It however makes me sleep better at night knowing that I have the opportunity to save lives.. I'm also part of the Austin Search & Rescue team.. Your not too terribly far from me, so I'm sure you heard about how bad Leander/Marble Falls was hit this year with rain.. Our lakes were way above full, lots of flooding.. I took vacation from work to provide rescue efforts, pulling anything and anyone out with my truck.. I had just bought a 15K Warn Winch and she got used.. Everything from latching onto a vehicle in flood water to hooking divers/rescue swimmers to my winch and sending them out for the stranded people..

bob
21st September 2007, 10:59 PM
Welcome StormChaser. Quite a few of our members and CM's and Admins are in Texas and thankful you're doing that hobby. Sounds like you've got the equipment to handle it too.

StormChaser
21st September 2007, 11:02 PM
Thanks Bob.. That I do.. It's an expensive hobby but well worth it.. I run 2 HAM Radios, 2 800mhz Trunks, Warning equipment (Red/White LEDs front and rear), Recovery gear, Straps, Come-Alongs.. I've probably invested about 8 grand in my equipment over the years..

It's a real fun hobby though we don't get hit too much during the year.. Not nearly as much as Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas do.. But it works both ways.. What I don't use for Skywarn, I use for my local VFD where I'm a Firefighter..

Plus I love Amateur Radio.. I've spoke to guys in Europe, Asia, hit someone in Australia once.. Amazing what can be done :)

Dan
21st September 2007, 11:09 PM
Ah! 73 then, Storm!

You can take this as a Volunteer FireFighter knuckle-bump too! Strictly VHF, UHF or do you also do HF? And what bands?

Dan

Judy
21st September 2007, 11:27 PM
Ye Gods!! And I had the cheek to reply to one - no, TWO - of your posts???
/me creeps away into a corner with my knitting

StormChaser
21st September 2007, 11:37 PM
Ah! 73 then, Storm!

You can take this as a Volunteer FireFighter knuckle-bump too! Strictly VHF, UHF or do you also do HF? And what bands?

Dan

:) I run VHF 165MHz, UHF 800MHz and a little HF 80M..

Ye Gods!! And I had the cheek to reply to one - no, TWO - of your posts???
/me creeps away into a corner with my knitting

Don't be.. I took no offense to your posts :-P Everyone has to learn somewhere right.. Belive me I've had to train 15 Windows Administrators in my life time and they drive me up a wall.. These kids come to me with Bachelors in CNS and don't know how to even setup a network segment..

giulix
21st September 2007, 11:46 PM
Greets from afar..
I've grown accustom to absolutely hating the OS although I can't speak freely on that due to it supplying my income

We won't tell anybody, don't worry, Besides, just because one has to clean after his dog doesn't mean he has to like doing it ;)

linux-hacker
21st September 2007, 11:47 PM
Welcome again, Storm.

well here you will find a lot of good people an any help we will try to solve it an welcome to out fedora Linux community :)

sailor
22nd September 2007, 12:33 AM
Welcome StormChaser! You are pretty much my neighbor, but you can keep the tornados :p

Alasehir Travel Photos - Crestview - Yelenendorf Travel Photos on Instagram