PDA

View Full Version : Adding a Windows printer fc7

thelight
23rd August 2007, 02:04 PM
I am having trouble adding any printers which have been shared on our windows network. Essentially I load up system-config-printer, fill in the first page about names, then tell it to add a printer on an Windows share. It shows the workgroup with a + next to it, but when you click the plus, it just disappears, no computers are found.

I can successfully browse the windows network shares using places, network, and using the smbclient -L command, can also see the shared printer I wish to add.

Any suggestions?

glennzo
24th August 2007, 02:31 AM
I just bought a new printer today and connected it to a Windows box. At the top of one of the screens in the add printer dialogs there's a box where you can type in the location of the printer share. For example, on my network it's smb://johnson/shrek:631/epson
JOHNSON is the workgroup
SHREK is the name of the computer the printer is connected to
631 is, I believe, a port <--- don't really know what this is
EPSON is the name of the printer share.
I attached a couple screen shots showing the text that I added, top right and then the result I get when I click on the 'verify' button. The printer is actually called epson88.

thelight
24th August 2007, 11:40 AM
I will give that a try but surely I should just be able to select it using the gui?

glennzo
24th August 2007, 12:10 PM
Yes, you should, but that method doesn't always work for me. That's why I just type in the info.

Navi Mumbai Instagram Photos - Munich Travel Photos - Uganda Travel Photos on Instagram -